Good small silver-colored flashlights?

paulr

Flashaholic
Can anyone name some good, small, silver-colored flashlights? Something easily carried in a purse, but brighter than a keychain light. I'm supposed to get a flashlight for my mom (slightly overdue mothers' day gift) and am instructed (not by her) that it should be silver in color. I'd originally picked an Arc LS Second for her but it's in greenish HA and IMO it looks a little too drab for this purpose.

I also have a Minimag/BB400 in pewter (that's close enough to silver), so I might give her that, but I'm worried about the BB400 falling out when she tries to change the batteries. I'm looking into getting a retaining ring for it, but have heard mixed things about those. Also, the Minimag's a little on the large size for her to carry in her purse.

I thought I'd seen a silver Surefire E1e somewhere, but the Surefire web page shows only natural HA. However, it's much more stylish looking than the Arc LS, so it's not completely out of the running (I'll ask my gift adviser first).

A McLux would be wonderful but even though more of them (at least via DIY) are becoming available, given the number of CPF'ers pursuing the limited supply, it doesn't seem appropriate to give to a non-flashaholic who may end up losing it anyway. (Also it's much more expensive than the other lights mentioned).

Another nice but expensive choice would be a Firefly in EN plating (that possibility was mentioned on the Firefly thread), but that's several months away if it gets made with that finish at all.

I'm quite surprised to realize that the choices are this limited. Basically there's one real light (Minimag), one semi-unobtanium (McLux), and one outright hypothetical (Firefly). That makes me hope even more intensely than before that the Firefly is made in EN. We all have greenish HA colored lights coming out of our ears by now. We need something different!

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
What about an E1 in gunmetal (I don't know if they make the E1e in gunmetal)? Is that close enough to silver?

E1.jpg

paulr

Flashaholic
I'm not sure--what does gunmetal look like? It's hard to tell from the picture. I think of gun metal as being almost black.

The E1 also just doesn't look as nice as the E1e (and similarly the E2 vs the E2e). Maybe the E1 would look better with the clip removed. I guess it just unscrews.

Thanks!

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr: you could try getting the E2e in satin grey/gun metal. it has the body of the E2e but the round tear drop bezel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

e2e_sg_large.jpg

paulr

Flashaholic
Do they make the E1e that way? The E2e is kind of too much light. Thanks.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
MR Bulk's Mini LGI
Inova X5T in Titanium
Nuwai Lights in Silver in various configurations

bernhard

paulr

Flashaholic
I think the LGI is too big, we're looking for a purse light, like a Surefire E1 or something not too much bigger.

Inova X5T is actually an interesting suggestion and I'll consider it.

I'm not familiar with the Nuwais. I guess I'll look for them.

Thanks!

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
The gunmetal is close to a pewter like color. Closer to silver than black, but kind of a greyish silver. I think it's nicer than regular silver. It's very close to the color of the original Inova X5. The SureFire website only has the E2e in the SG but I'm not positive that they don't make one (never seen one, though).

So only the E2e HA comes with the hex bezel?

edited to add: The clip on the E1/E2 is riveted to the bezel--it's not a regular screw that can be removed easily.

paulr

Flashaholic
Hmm, that color does sound nice. And I guess with an MN02 bulb, an E2e-SG wouldn't be so blinding. E1 is probably a better choice though. Thanks.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr: i don't think the E1e comes that way...sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

zenghost: that is correct /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ninja

Newly Enlightened
StreamLight Key-Mate $14, with out a doubt is the next step up from the small keyring stuff. LED is brighter than ARC AAA, runs on 3 button cells & half the size of E1...

paulr

Flashaholic
Hmm, that's something to keep in mind but I'm looking for something brighter and classier.

I still have the idea of getting a Minimag/Madmax cut down to 1AA size. With a silver Minimag it could be pretty nice for this gift. But it would probably take a while. I think I'll just show her a few of the lights we've talked about here, and let her pick one.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JohnK said:
Streamlight Twin-Task light in one L or two L in Titanium. All the TT come in black or Titanium.

[/ QUOTE ]
Man--I have one on the way and that still didn't even occur to me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif That's what I get for posting in the middle of the night. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the E2e is too much light for paulr, then the PM6 would be quite blinding...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

freewheelin'

Enlightened
Lamda's Microilluminator is silver and black and I really like the way it looks.
I saw MiniMags today at Walmart in grey and silver for $8.49 if you wanted to put the BB 400 in there.
Theres also the Brinkman 1 AAA IN silver and black or MiniMag 2 x AAA in silver.
Depending on what she needs it for there's also the Streamlight Stylus.
You could also wait a little and get Inova's X1.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Pewter Mini-Mag with Opalec New Beam and Lithium batteries? Maybe not bright enough but it will certainly be there and ready when she needs it and no problem with battery replacement.

- Don