Any Tennis Players Out There?

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that alot of flashaholics like knives, guns and mountain bikes, but I don't know how many of you like Tennis???

I am about to commit a major flashaholic faux pa (did I spell that right?) and sell some flashlights to pay for my recent purchase of two Prince Graphite Oversize raquets.

I found a website that still sells these classics and I couln't resist getting them as I remember loving this raquet more than any others that I played with w/the exception of the Spaulding Assault.

Anyone else like the Prince Graphite and still play with it?

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife and I played regularly in our 30's but our bones can't take it anymore.:ohgeez:
I still have several Head graphite racquets strung at 70 lbs, never cared for the over sized.

Just mount a flashlight to your Prince for night time play and avoid any flashaholic teasing.:p

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife and I played regularly in our 30's but our bones can't take it anymore.:ohgeez:
I still have several Head graphite racquets strung at 70 lbs, never cared for the over sized.

Just mount a flashlight to your Prince for night time play and avoid any flashaholic teasing.:p

Beamhead,

You are full of surprises. Mid-sized rackets strung at 70 pounds?!?!?! If I recall correctly, Head rackets back int he day also used 18 main strings and 20 cross strings for a very tight pattern. Lots of Spaniards played with them including Emileo Sanchez and an Italian named Alberto Mancini... he was a monster for a very short time. Another one of my favorites named Thomas Muster used one too; Muster was another monster for a short time and he seemed to have the best cardio of any player until he got injured.

I will mount a Photon to the racket so that I won't be a total sell out:twothumbs

Illum

Flashaholic
I do...but its weather dependent...and its not my main mode of exercise

My wife and I played regularly in our 30's but our bones can't take it anymore.

Beam has bones?:ohgeez:
Jeem had me driving off road with something like this

to compare to :sigh:

Any flashlight with a fat tailcap..like the SW01, will snag on the chain link fence hanging bezel down. put it high enough you can have both ad and deuce courts well covered:thumbsup:

Never use HID on courts...you may cause your opponent to go into "deer in headlight" mode and have the ball ricochet off them rather than returned:eek::shrug:

Last edited:

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamhead,

You are full of surprises. Mid-sized rackets strung at 70 pounds?!?!?! If I recall correctly, Head rackets back int he day also used 18 main strings and 20 cross strings for a very tight pattern.

OK I dug a couple out, and yes on the 18x20. At 70 lbs the sweet spot is small but the control was fantastic and the spin great.
I still have a storage box full of grips and various other goodies.
My wife used an over sized Head-head strung at 60 lbs and she would create some unbelievable chop suey serves, my term. :laughing: We had lots of fun playing, I miss it.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Yeah I hack around with the best of em'. I played 4 years in highschool, and the northern california junior circuit prior to that.

The prince graphite was my weapon of choice... I had both renditions, the first generation was balanced heavier in the head and had a shorter grip. The latter one was balanced more evenly head to handle and the grip was longer for two handed players like me. A lot of pros used the green graphite... Gene meyer, Pam Shriver, Michael chang, Andre agassi in his younger years.

I still have some of my other antiques...
dscn5714.jpg

My personal favorite... 1981, All England Club... Borg versus McEnroe...
dscn5715.jpg

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I play tennis, badminton, table tennis and racquetball. I'm best at badminton, but haven't played in years, due to injuring my ankles (especially the left). They haven't healed in 5 years! I've also played the most badminton. Next to badminton is table tennis. I just started playing a couple of a years ago, but I've played it the second most and my ankles prefer it over all the rest. It's super fun. Most people would be shocked to know that most decent table tennis racquets cost between $100 and $300! Many of the new rubbers (the rubber that goes on the "blade" or wooden part of the racquet (also know as a paddle or bat) cost more than $50 PER SIDE. Not too long ago, I was playing tennis on Saturdays, but haven't played in a couple of months. I play racquetball at the YMCA, and that is an awesome workout and super fun and challenging, but it really beats up my body. Sometimes, I'll feel it for days afterwards.

Selling lights for tennis items is perfectly acceptable, to me. I sold some lights and stuff here, not too long ago, to buy a new racquetball racket. I'd actually like to get another tennis racquet, too, as I'm not able to swing the racquet as easily as I used to, and while my racquet is pretty darn light, it's not as head light as I want it. I'd like to find the racquet with the lowest swing weight. (any ideas?)

Beams, what's a chop suey serve? Tons of top spin?

Torpedo Vegas

Newly Enlightened
Beams, what's a chop suey serve?

My guess is a Kick Serve.

I used a few different Hammers in High School. I have not played in about 2 years, but I was using a Babolat Pure Drive Team Plus when I started working nights. I miss playing :(

da.gee

Enlightened
Love tennis. Played in HS and at club level in college. Nice to see the Bjorn Borg Donnay. I always lusted after that racket but stuck with Head models. I still have a really cool Head Guillermo Vilas wood model. I don't play much anymore but wish I had someone to knock the ball around with now and then. Great exercise.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
My guess is a Kick Serve.

I used a few different Hammers in High School. I have not played in about 2 years, but I was using a Babolat Pure Drive Team Plus when I started working nights. I miss playing :(

My coach called it an american twist serve.

^I also had a head Vilas for several years. IIRC it and the Arthur Ashe were revolutionary with the open throat design.

I always wanted to try one of those Ivan lendl Kneisl (SP) 5-stars.

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
OK I dug a couple out, and yes on the 18x20. At 70 lbs the sweet spot is small but the control was fantastic and the spin great.
I still have a storage box full of grips and various other goodies.
My wife used an over sized Head-head strung at 60 lbs and she would create some unbelievable chop suey serves, my term. :laughing: We had lots of fun playing, I miss it.

wgftdd.jpg

:kiss:

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just started playing a couple of a years ago, but I've played it the second most and my ankles prefer it over all the rest. It's super fun. Most people would be shocked to know that most decent table tennis racquets cost between $100 and $300! Many of the new rubbers (the rubber that goes on the "blade" or wooden part of the racquet (also know as a paddle or bat) cost more than $50 PER SIDE.

I love table tennis and you are right; most people don't have any idea what a nice blade costs. I have a Butterfly Grubba Carbon with Sriver EL rubber on both sides and a Stiga All Around Classic w/Mendo XP and Clippa on it. I prefer to play with pips out on my backhand.

she would create some unbelievable chop suey serves, my term. :laughing:

I am guessing that a chop suey serve is a slice / underspin serve... am I right?

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am guessing that a chop suey serve is a slice / underspin serve... am I right?

Bingo, it actually had backspin. It was a sight to watch her mechanics as she served you would swear there is no way that will clear the net let alone land on the court.:p
I was a power spinner and she was a drop shot crap shot artist, I would wham one at her with massive velocity and spin and all she did was place that big a$$ed head out there and boom automatic drop shot exactly wear I wasn't 90% of the time.:ohgeez:
And of course as we both improved I would play to her drop shot crap and she learned to whiz a passing shot by.......:rolleyes: I really do miss it.