tactical light for Glock?

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey guys

I have a glock 23 which badly craves a LED light on its mount but I have no idea of which to get. I hear surefire makes decent ones as well as a couple of other makers. CR123 would be my primary batteries for it.

Any suggestions??

mpkav

Newly Enlightened
Surefire x300 is what i use on my Glock 22 and Sig Sauer P220. Surefire weaponlights are the best money can buy!!! More $$$ yes, but tough as nails!!!

kurikobun

Newly Enlightened
I have a Insight XTI Procyon on my Glock 23C. It is very good in all aspects and I love it to death.

dirtech

Enlightened
I am very happy with a Streamlight TLR2. I found in the low $200 range, and at that price, it was well worth it. I think they usually go for closer to $300. At that price I would probably pass and just get a TLR1. The laser is not worth a extra $150-$200.

On a G23 the light does extend pass the barrel, but for nightstand use that's not a problem.

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks everyone still have to decide on which to get.:thinking:

is it a correct assumption to say that Surefire is the leading maker of tactical lights?

Kato

Enlightened
My nightstand setup is a Glock 23 with a Surefire X300 equipped with a DG-11 pressure switch. A handheld Surefire combatlight complements the Glock.

Good info in this thread: link.

mpkav

Newly Enlightened
thanks everyone still have to decide on which to get.:thinking:

is it a correct assumption to say that Surefire is the leading maker of tactical lights?

My personal opinion is Surefire is the best. I have the X300, M900a for my AR, and the 618fa for my Remington 870. I have never had a problem with any. Last time we were at the range for qualification a guy using the TLR1 had it fly off during shooting. Now it was probably his fault for not screwing it down frequently. This is why I am a fan of the X300 because there is no screwing down and it would be close to impossible to come off accidentally!!! Just my 2 cents!!!!!

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a few extremely good choices but..

When you discuss a pistol mounted weapon light you should always consider holster first. If you use one.

My vote goes to SureFire.. however..

They are useless in a Serpa holster.

So, if you use a holster, your going to have to find a light that will fit it.

+1 for SureFire x300 though.

JeffW

Newly Enlightened
I have the serpa holster and the xiphos light for it. I like the combination, however the xiphos is going back. Too many artifacts and rings.

Policetacteam

Enlightened
+1 Surefire X300 gets my vote as well. The Xiphos has had numerous problems with mechanical failures, switches breaking, and the light not staying on the weapon so I would strongly consider another option. I have to agree with Search on holsters if that is a consideration. Surefires will typically work in most holsters set-up for a light.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
x300 or TLR-1 are the ones I would look at.

Be advised that Glock .40's have had reported issues with reliability when using weaponlights. This has mostly been the Glock 22. I would recommend shooting a couple of hundred of your duty and training rounds with the weaponlight attached to ensure functionality.

IMHO it is a correct assumption that Surefire is the leader of the pack. If you can't afford the x300 the TLR-1 is still good to go.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
The TLR-3 looks to be a good choice for compact guns like the G23. I have one on pre-order. I own several handgun mounted lights and several carbine lights. SF is the ONLY way I would go for a long gun, but I've had good results with the Procyon too. I bought it before the X300 was released and, even though I bought an X300 when they became available, I left the Procyon on my G22 and found a different home for the SF. If you have opportunity to try them out, I would do so.

Policetacteam

Enlightened
I have heard, for several years now, about reliability issues when Glocks are matched with weapon mounted lights. I have had lights mounted to my Glock for nearly 10 years and have never had a single malfunction, stoppage, or jam due to my light. I have also owned both Streamlight and Surefires. My entire team also uses an array of weapon mounted lights on our duty Glocks. Again, no malfunctions! I'm not saying that malfunctions don't happen I just have not seen one attributed to a light! I think its safe to say that purchasing a TLR-3 or X300 will not cause malfunctions of your personal weapon. Dirty firearms, unlubricated firearms, and a complete lack of firearms maintenance WILL CAUSE MALFUNCTIONS! Take care of your gear and it will take care of you!!!

mpkav

Newly Enlightened
I have heard, for several years now, about reliability issues when Glocks are matched with weapon mounted lights. I have had lights mounted to my Glock for nearly 10 years and have never had a single malfunction, stoppage, or jam due to my light. I have also owned both Streamlight and Surefires. My entire team also uses an array of weapon mounted lights on our duty Glocks. Again, no malfunctions! I'm not saying that malfunctions don't happen I just have not seen one attributed to a light! I think its safe to say that purchasing a TLR-3 or X300 will not cause malfunctions of your personal weapon. Dirty firearms, unlubricated firearms, and a complete lack of firearms maintenance WILL CAUSE MALFUNCTIONS! Take care of your gear and it will take care of you!!!

+1...I work for a 1600 member department and we are all issued the Glock 22 with no major problems. I have had my 22 going on 8 years and have nearly 10,000 rounds through it and have never had a problem. I don't know if glock has changed anything on the newer guns but i believe it's the most reliable gun on the market!!!!

lightemup

Flashaholic*
So we agree that is a good idea to function test with a few hundred rounds? :)

"I think it is safe to say" isn't quite "I know it is Good to Go" in my book.

I have no bone with Glock, and I agree they make damn reliable tools.

mpkav

Newly Enlightened
So we agree that is a good idea to function test with a few hundred rounds? :)

"I think it is safe to say" isn't quite "I know it is Good to Go" in my book.

I have no bone with Glock, and I agree they make damn reliable tools.

You make a good point!!! Training with your specific set up is always top priority. Whether its guns, lights, or a combination of both you need to be familiar with them. I guess anything has the opportunity to fail and you should be prepared for it!!!!!!

Glasstream15

Newly Enlightened
I have a TLR2 on my G19. The laser stays aligned no matter how many rounds I fire. But the light needs to be cleaned about every other mag, I like it, but holsters are a real problem. When I carry the G19 I leave the light off. I use the light on the gun when it's on the bedside tablr.