New CMG Infinity that has intermittent problem.

StanTeate

Enlightened
This will be my third post here and I need some help.

Recently purchased a CMG infinity which uses a 1 AA battery. I have tried several batteries, alkaline, rechargable nickel hydride or whatever, and the led lights up whenever it wants to. I have tightened the top to make sure there is contact, not too tight though. When I lightly shake it, I hear the battery move but the light does not go out or come on as a result of the shaking, which makes me think this is not a contact problem. If I leave the light alone and on, sometimes the light will go on. Anyone have thoughts or experiences like this.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hi StanTeate,

fc3d9dd8.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Too bad your Infinity has a problem... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Probably something simular as the flicker in some Arc AAA's, wich was solved with a "rollcrimp", (more info here ), but I would just send it back for replacement... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New CMG Infinity that has intermittent problem

I've got 2 infinity's and you can't even crank them all the way down or you schmoosh the battery really hard against the circuit board/contact in the head. can you screw yours all the way down? Or is the battery still loose when you do so? It will definitely rattle when it's off as there is enough space in there, that is normal. If it's rattling when it's on then something is wrong and you definitely need to return the thing.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

From my review of the Infinity:

<font color="blue">I was using the white Infinity to read at night and after about 30 minutes it suddenly went out! I turned it off, then on again, and it would flicker on, then off, then back on again with no discernable pattern. It appears that the light can develop a faulty connection between the bottom of the head of the light and the outer edge of the printed circuit board which serves as the negative contact for the light. If this happens to you, you have two means of recourse. You can contact CMG and they should make good on the light. The other option is for do-it-yourselvers, and it worked fine for me. Unscrew the head and place it LED down on a solid, non-marring surface (like a 2x4). Take a flat-bladed screwdriver and place it on the edge of the bottom of the head and give it a whack with a hammer, just enough to dent in the edge. Do this in several points around the head. This will make solid contact between the outer edge of the PCB and the aluminum head of the light. Of course, you may void the warranty, but it's a quick fix and the light hasn't given me any problem since. Despite this issue, the light remains a "Top Pick" with 4 Stars due to the limited lifetime warranty that will cover problems such as this if you don't want to fix it yourself.

In this picture you can see I dented the light at 4 points around the outer edge and havn't had a flicker since.</font>

cmg_infinity2_flickerfix.jpg

Empath

Flashaholic

Quickbeam, maybe it was just the whacking of it with a hammer, that fixed it, kind of like slapping the side of a misbehaving TV. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave Wright

Enlightened

You should not be able to hear the battery shake when the light is on. Your Infinity barrel may be a tad long, and therefore not able to screw down far enough for proper contact. My regular Infinity had that problem with some batteries. My Infinity Ultra had plenty of spare travel. My solution was to switch the heads. Now I have 2 two-tone flashlights, each working well with any battery. I just have to remember which is which. Black body green head = Ultra. Green body black head = regular.

I could also have solved the problem by filing/sanding a little length off the regular Infinity barrel. That would have let the head thread tighten down enough on the battery.