Best keychain light?

freewheelin'

Enlightened
We've all got an ARC AAA, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif. I was wondering whats the next best based on:
1. Best light source...
2. Best feature(s)...
3. Ease of operation...
4. Durability...
5. Price...
Thanx for all input.
Mike

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Next best? Another ArcAAA... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Actually, I carry a turquoise Photon III on my keychain as well as the Arc AAA... Cheap. Long-running. Durable. And bright...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
i carry an Arc AAA and a UK mini pocket light(xenon)

best of bost world's: Arc for good flood of light/close up work and long battery life

UK for throw

freewheelin'

Enlightened
How do you like turquoise? I was actually looking at Photon III's today and think I'll get a Turquoise and a UV. Don't know what I'd do with the UV one but it'd be cool.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The turquoise is pretty cool. Noticeably brighter than the white... Good illumination in really dark situations. Good contrast of objects with the bluer spectrum (although if you want color rendition, the white's the way to go)...

emitter

Newly Enlightened
Photon ii white if it has to be 'keychainable'. Mine was blue till i killed that led and put in an odd greenish white high resistance nichia, which only draws about 27 mA in the photon. I wonder if this is any better than a stock white photon? Blue was cool at first but got old.

If you don't mind a little heavier keychain or only have a few keys you *need* a key-fob for, I'd go for the ultra-g-govt's at countycomm.

My third choice would be an arc-AAAA body if there's ever another batch...

~ned

Smaug

Newly Enlightened
I like my Pelican L1 (and a quick comparison)

The clip is handy, so you don't HAVE to carry it in your pocket. You can just clip it onto something that you always carry, like a coat, backpack, waistline of pants, pants pocket, etc.

Also, it is hella-bright. Many consider it a huge drawback that it runs off of xx76 or xx44 batteries, but they give a long life for a pocket light, much longer than a single regulated AAA.

FOR PELICAN L1 OWNERS:
It can probably be boosted even more by replacing two of the cells with a two-cell xx76, replace one cell with a nut of the correct thickness, and leave the last cell unscathed. As you might suspect, the double cell will yield more than double the capacity of two single cells because they're not forced to use valuable space with the case of the battery; more guts! The missing cell should promote a smaller current draw and even more battery/LED life. (or if you're not worried at all about shortening the life of the LED, you could replace the button batteries with TWO of the double cells...)

Now I don't know if there are Lithium AAAs yet, but for the button cells which the L1 uses, they can be replaced by the more expensive silver-oxide cells which will yield more burn time at high power and better resistance to cold. Has anyone tried any of this with their L1s? From an affordability standpoint, the L1s go for about $14 or so. They can be carried on a keychain like the Arc AAA or clipped on the bill of a baseball cap for an impromptu headlamp.

As you can no doubt tell by now, I'm smitten with mine. I think it is the most versatile pocket light out there.

Last but not least, I will have to admit that I don't have an Arc AAA yet, but I'm going to remedy that as soon as I get a respectable 4AA or 3C light...

-Jeremy

PS - Great thread!

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course I like my Arc

I have 2 seperate sets of keys. The real keys with everything on it and the dress keys that consist only of the car key and fob (for when we go out somewhere nice).

My Arc AAA LE and a hand selected (by me) white Photon III get switched between the two key sets fairly often.

We all know the benifits of the Arc AAA, but my Photon III
*is much smaller and lighter
*has programmable modes
*includes low output for in theater use
*mine is brighter than my Arc, when on high-override and
used in moderation

I also have trouble turning on my Arc one-handed when I have it screwed too far off. But when I want long running, I trade the Photon for the Arc.

-Jason

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Of course I like my Arc

I have an Arc AAA standard and two Photon II's (red and green) on one key chain. The Arc is certainly larger, but I just find it a lot nicer to use. I guess I can operate it one handed but it usually hasn't been a problem to use both hands (otherwise Mag couldn't have sold so many 2AA twist-bezel Minimags). I haven't felt the need for a low-output mode since I use the red Photon for that and the red light doesn't bother anyone.

K Horn

Newly Enlightened

The lights on my keychain are my CPF Arc, a Photon III white and a Photon II in red.
I also have a Photon II on my office keys.
Of all of them, the Arc is my "go to" light source.

freewheelin'

Enlightened

Ok JonSydneyB you've got the best keychain light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif.
But I was thinking redily available, not one of a kind superlight.
Thanx all, looks like the Photon will be my other kewchain light.

DrAg0n

Banned

does the photon bulb get scratched by the keys when in the pocket?...its so exposed...

B@rt

Flashaholic

It does get scratched up a bit, but this doesn't seem to interfere with the beam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
If it gets too diffused for your likings, you can always polish it up... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif