Biting the bullet. Ordering a LSH-P this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FNG

Enlightened
Have exactly $125 to spend and Vicomptel has it for $120 plus shipping. I just sold my Arc AAA UV for $30, my Scorpion with 2 sets of batteries for $20, and had $75 (saved up for E2e). Cant wait. Maybe ill sell my X5 if all goes well.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you won't be disappointed when you see it, feel it, and light it up...

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Biting the bullet. Ordering a LSH-P this weeke

I'd say get a second from the Arc website for $60, it's a much better value. The Arc is a nice light but IMO overpriced at $125. The beam is basically the same as a BB400/Q3L in a Minimag, which is half the price. What you get for the extra money is somewhat better construction and a smaller, 1x123-powered package. You lose the ability to run on generic AA's or rechargeables without buying an extra tailpack (more $$), the ability to swap the optics around to suit your tastes, and the ability to use the light as a flood or candle by removing the head.

I have two LSL-P's that I bought as seconds and I'm probably going to give one to my mom and sell or trade the other on BST. They're perfectly good lights but they don't set my heart fluttering the way the McLux does. If I want a functional, cost-effective Luxeon light I'd go for the Mag/BB400; if I want the sense that I'm holding a work of art in a flashlight, nothing comes within 100 miles of the McLux; and if I want a small EDC light with a Luxeon then I'd hold out for the Firefly later this summer. The Arc LS filled a need when it was designed, but I feel it's behind the times now. The new LS4 should be out in a few months (maybe around the same time as the Firefly) and the LS5 a little later, and they will have a lot of features that we haven't seen in LS lights before, so they'll be worth looking at too.

Finally, the whole concept of the "-P" in LSH-P was that Luxeon production was highly variable and you had to buy a lot of LED's to get any with high flux and good color, so those got sorted out into "premium" lights. Over the past few months, though, Lumileds has improved their manufacturing processes so Luxeons are now much more consistent. I'd like to hope that there will stop being a need to pay extra for a "premium" LED, since current production should have the same quality off the line as the handpicked cream of production had last year. That's just like you'd expect with any high tech semiconductor (think of the latest model Pentium or something): they're cranky and expensive at first, but become jellybeans as the manufacturer gains experience with that type of part.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Paul, I have to dissagree with your comparision between the BB400/Q3L and the LSH. Your talking low-dome vs high-dome which in itself has pretty major differences as far as I'm concerned. I have yet to see a low-dome LED compare to the "quality" of the beam an LSH produces. Compare the BB400/Q3L with an LSL if you want, but not with the LSH.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ditto w/ Nascar. I have both lights, and the LSHP high dome is a superior performer for an EDC by a clear margin. Simply stated, the LSHP throws, and the BB400/Q3L doesn't.

paulr

Flashaholic

Oops, you're right about the difference between the LSH and LSL, i was mainly comparing the Mag with my LSL. In the quick comparisons I've done between HD and LD diodes, though, it seems to me that the HD makes a hot spot with a more pronounced boundary than the LD, but the actual brightness in the middle is about the same. I haven't compared throw, which I take to mean how far away you can light something up usably, since it doesn't get dark enough outside around here (street lights etc) to need such a thing.

Generally I've found (YMMV) my main uses of EDC lights are for finding something I've set down nearby, so I don't care at all about throw. I prefer the McFlood to the LSL-P and may get a McFlood reflector to put in my Mag. Yes, the LSH-P may do better if you need distance. But I don't think any small LED light comes anywhere near a small incandescent (e.g. UKE 2L) for that.

It also occurs to me that I have no idea what kind of diode is actually in my LSL-P since it's a second. That has to mean the flashlight body came back from the machine shop and inspection found a few cosmetic blems, so they put in some LED that hadn't passed inspection for a "first" (the brightness is good but the color is violet-ish). It would be silly for them to do a lot of work separating primo LED's from the incoming reels, then put them into seconds. However, despite violet cast, I still think the light is a good deal. I'd never pay 2x as much just for a better diode.

Edit: Also, I wonder if anything stops you from using an HD emitter in a BB400 sandwich. The Arc uses an NX05 optic, right? So using an NX05 and HD in a Mag should really make the same beam as an Arc.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

The LSH-P is a great little powerhouse. It is my most used light now and I altered a mag red filter cap by lining it with adhesive loop fabric from a Velcro package so I could have a red or amber filter for it, works great. I don't think you will be disappointed with the light although, I would email Chris at Meridian Tactical and see what his CPF price with free shipping is before I would order from anyone else.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FNG

Enlightened

Has there been any updates recently? Should I ask if they have the latest revision in stock?

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chris would have the latest in stock or on quick order status. At his sale prices he usually moves them quickly. Mine is absolutely beautiful, near perfect HA finish match up and a Q4J rank luxeon high dome, bright and as white as they come!

Later,

FNG

Enlightened

We've been emailing back and forth and he said he wont get the LSH-P's in until tomorrow or Friday. Should I get one now from somewhere else or wait for the new batch from the factory?

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd go ahead and give Chris the business if his price is right, he's been good to CPF members and posts pretty regularly here quick on the email too. His shipping is pretty quick also I got mine in three days. He's also one of the only guys out there that help out our international friends by shipping to them overseas!

Later,

FNG

Enlightened

All the places im looking at have it for $125 shipped.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

tsg, i'll second that; chris is a great guy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif btw my lsh-p also has a Q4J luxeon. spooky huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FNG

Enlightened

I finally ordered it from Viacomptel. Ive had good service with him in the past (came in 2 days) so I expect this should be as good. Also got little nylon pouch for it.

dtsoll

Enlightened

FNG,
You are going to absolutely love your LSH-P. It is just that simple. tsg68,Chamenos: I also have a Q4J Luxeon, one white sucka. Is that a strange phenomenon? I don't really understand the ranks too well. enjoy!!!! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, chamenos it's kinda spooky from half a world away we get the same stuff! dtsoll, I heard there are other ranks that may be whiter but I don't see how, maybe Peter got really lucky with the Q4J's cause mines mr. whitey!

Later,

FNG

Enlightened

Where will it say Q4J? If I had known, I wouldve asked my dealer to hand pick it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

The premiums from Arc are Ps and Qs... Once in bare emitter form, you really can't tell what rank they are anymore... Some are Q4 ranked, so maybe if you ask Peter politely enough, he'll send you one...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.