LED upgrade for maglite 2C?

Wacki

Newly Enlightened
I have an old maglite w/ 2C batteries. Looking to upgrade it so it throws out as much light or more than my tiny AA Smith & Wesson 100 Lumen Luxeon Rebel. Seems like a waste having my biggest flashlight be the least powerful. Is the standard LED maglite drop-in good or should I be looking elsewhere?

jblackwood

Enlightened
Though it may be costly, this guy will DEFINITELY let your mag outthrow, outflood, out anything ANY AA flashlight.

Gene's C dropin.

Just remember to check the serial number on your mag to make sure the drop in will fit. It's super easy to put it in. Pick up one of the pre-cut reflectors if you don't have a dremel or aren't comfortable cutting it yourself. Also, if you do mod your own reflector, make SURE you don't wipe the plastic shavings off the reflector with any kind of wipe. Pick up a can of compressed air and clean it that way. The finish is extremely fragile. Even running water can scratch the finish with the shavings in it.

Just easier to pick up the pre-cut reflector. Remember to check the serial number. Didn't look at the amazon dropin, I've only had experience with the mag led "upgrade." They don't even compare with Gene's products. Unless amazon is selling them, I doubt they would either.

jblackwood

Enlightened
Just checked out the amazon link. I guess it all depends what you want to pay. 140 lumens (terralux) compared to 240 lumens should be a noticable difference to the human eye. Of course it's also twice the cost and all the other work with the reflector. The nice thing about upgrading your mag is that you get regulated output for 1.5 hours and reduced output operation for "several more hours." (Gene's words, not mine). As you can probably tell, it was well worth the investment for me.

jblackwood

Enlightened
If you decide to go with the Malkoff drop in (seriously, do a search here to see that I'm not the only one who thinks it's worth the money), don't forget the code:

cpf or CPF

It gets you 5% off. I distincly remember Gene telling me to enter it in all caps even though the discounts sticky thread in cpfmarketplace has it just as cpf. Good luck keeping the upgrade just to your emitter . . . I've replaced the lens with an ultra clear lens (UCL) from flashlightlens.com and I'm seriously considering the glass breaking cap as well as the aggressive bezel . . . just because I can! :candle:

Wacki

Newly Enlightened
Just checked out the amazon link. I guess it all depends what you want to pay. 140 lumens (terralux) compared to 240 lumens should be a noticable difference to the human eye. Of course it's also twice the cost and all the other work with the reflector. The nice thing about upgrading your mag is that you get regulated output for 1.5 hours and reduced output operation for "several more hours." (Gene's words, not mine). As you can probably tell, it was well worth the investment for me.

I have 2 maglites. I might try both. 1 for long term decent light maglite and 1 for a razzle dazzle maglite.

SilentK

Enlightened
If you happen to have a few hundred laying around, you could always get a few li-ion c cells and a malkoff p7. :devil: But the TerraLUX TLE-6EXB seems to be popular for those on a tight budget.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Is the standard LED maglite drop-in good or should I be looking elsewhere?

I have two 2C Maglites equipped with the Mag LED drop-in. I've gotten good results with those, but you still get the familiar donut-hole when adjusted for flood. I used one of my Mags as my work-light at my old job. It performed well, for indoor use.

Still, I'd spend the extra on one of Gene Malkoff's 2C drop-ins. I have one of his old handmade M60 drop-ins in my Surefire 6P. An excellent combination of both quality and output.