Headlamp for dental student?

hazna

Enlightened
I have a friend who is a dental student, and he is interested in getting a headlamp for better lighting when looking inside the mouth. I believe there are proprietary brands that can be bought from dental companies, however I think they are very expensive.

Any ideas on a reasonably priced headlamp that might be suitable for him? I was looking at the zebralights, however they seem to be very floody. Could be a problem, as you wouldn't want too much light shining in a patient's eyes.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe check out something like the Princeton Tec EOS or Black Diamond spot.

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a friend who is a dental student, and he is interested in getting a headlamp for better lighting when looking inside the mouth. I believe there are proprietary brands that can be bought from dental companies, however I think they are very expensive.

I could be wrong, but one reason they could be expensive is that they are certified as being sanitizable and whatnot. Some headlights (and their bands) have lots of nooks and crannies for germy stuff to get in, especially the controls.

Rexlion

Enlightened
I have a LED Lenser H7 and would recommend it. Total control over the light. Focusable from wide flood to narrow spot. Brightness control from dim to really bright. Tilt adjustment.

hazna

Enlightened
The led lenser h7 seems like it could be suitable. Any idea what the tint is like? I think a neutral-warmish tint would be best suited for his purposes.

pmoney

Newly Enlightened
I could be wrong, but one reason they could be expensive is that they are certified as being sanitizable and whatnot. Some headlights (and their bands) have lots of nooks and crannies for germy stuff to get in, especially the controls.
nah there is nothing like that, the expensive lights have very good bulbs (and only some have adjustable beams, the Designs for vision is, the orascoptic is not) and the big thing is they have a very good and light separate battery pack. they also have orange filters that flip down so you dont cure the resin when you are packing and contouring it.

Snow

Enlightened
A good friend of mine is a fellow medical student and he emailed me asking me about this same topic. He is on an ENT rotation looking in mouths daily. I recommended the EOS II because it looks to have a good spot and has a Rebel emitter, which should be a good color temperature.

Offroad'Bent

Enlightened
A good friend of mine is a fellow medical student and he emailed me asking me about this same topic. He is on an ENT rotation looking in mouths daily. I recommended the EOS II because it looks to have a good spot and has a Rebel emitter, which should be a good color temperature.

I've used an Apex (modified to 130 lumens) which worked well. The new Rebel Apex should be OK, but the EOS is a bit weak for this.

DocPeter

Newly Enlightened
My lamp uses a Seoul P4 running with up to 800mA ( two other steps with 250mA and 550mA). That should be then about 200 Lumen. The lamp measures 16mm in diameter.

I use it professionally in my dental practice .

Latest posts