Anyone remember a digital imagery thread?

Illum

Flashaholic
There was a thread started in the Cafe on Digital picture enhancement that turned regular photos into something that looked too vivid to be real and there's a three letter acronym for it.

I'm going crazy because I can't remember the term and can't find the thread :rant:

Illum

Flashaholic
My goodness thank you very much!

I was talking to a friend regarding photoshop capabilities and I mentioned tone-mapping and enhancement of light [beyond the star shaped filters] and I can't remember what its called.

:thanks:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've looked for that thread, too, and couldn't find it! Someone on another site said they were blown away by my HDR photos, which shocked me, because they're crap, and I wanted to show her what real HDR photos looked like, so she could see what I meant when I told her they really weren't anything special.

Last edited:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since that thread, have done some heavy manipulations on some frames. It takes lots of effort so in some respects, HDR by combining 3+ exposures would be nice. Lots of masking/layers and adjusting tone curves on a single frame....my challenge though. The easier is to combine but sometimes the discovery comes when the scene is on a single frame.

So let's see what we've learned since then...post them up. :D

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hate to bicker, but it's NOT HDR that produces the kind of look you guys refer to. It's 'tonal mapping' that usually occurs after the HDR processing that gives the look.

A un-processed HDR image just looks like a flat capture that needs a lot of contrast adjustment, but you can tonal map a non HDR image to get the similiar look. HDR software usually applies tonal mapping by default, so HDR techniques get the credit.