Smoothing the action on the Ti Arc-AAA?

spongefile

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone (first post!),

Been lurking a while, finally joined, and finally bought the Ti Arc-AAA as my first flashlight.

I'm delighted by the beam, the modularity, the sapphire "lens" (I've had a wristwatch with sapphire "glass" for over ten years now, and it's still completely scratch-free despite rock climbing and other unfriendly circumstances), and the simple, clean design.

One thing bugs me though, and I've been trying to think of a solution/wondering whether it'll improve with use. The action on mine is pretty stiff, I have to twist it quite hard for the battery to make enough contact to switch on, and each time it feels a bit like it's "grinding".

I'm a jeweller/metalsmith/knifemaker(read: obsessive tweaker), so when I get back to my studio I think I'll clean the contacts a bit to see if that helps, but I've also been wondering whether I should make a little copper spring to fit into the donut head, just a bit less tall than the donut itself? Other ideas? I also tried some teflon lube spray on the threads, that eased it some, but I still feel like I could perhaps make it do better.

Thanks, and great forum,

--Tina

MKLight

Enlightened
Hey Tina! Welcome to CPF! I ended up taking the foam retainer ring out, relubing the threads, placing an Energizer Lithium e2 primary battery, and a piece of Scotch Tape folded in half to help prevent rattle. It's made it a lot easier for me to use. There is a post in the McGizmo subforum I believe that gives this and other suggestions, including slicing the foam retainer ring in half.

Good luck and let us know what you end up deciding to do. The spring is an interesting alternative! :)

Mike

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Tina, have a website for your knifemaking? Thanks!!

spongefile

Newly Enlightened
Hi Tina, have a website for your knifemaking? Thanks!!
An embarrasingly outdated one without many pictures, yes. :) http://www.aspiala.com

More recent pictures, though only one of a knife, can be found here.

I've been doing more mokume jewellery lately, earns me more money than knives did, though I intend to make some more someday.

I'm finding flashlights really interesting, want to learn how to machine titanium, have machined brass/aluminum/whathaveyou but titanium has its own challenges and I haven't found good instructions/guides anywhere yet. I've got an anodizer though!

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Tina, thanks for the links! You do very nice work!! I tried my hand at making knives years ago but really never got good at it, it takes skill to make one and you certaintly have it!!

paulr

Flashaholic
Ti lights get smoother after you use them for a while. I think I wouldn't do anything special for a few months, just see if it gets any better before looking into taking more drastic measures.

Yes, a piece of tape or paper wrapped around the battery is a standard way to stop rattle. Post-it notes work pretty well.

spongefile

Newly Enlightened

Baking soda/ashes, huh? Funny, that's similar to what gets used at the very final stages of polishing japanese sword steel.

I think I'll start off following @paulr's advice about just not doing anything for a few months and then go from there. After that, may try the above--can't do any damage, at least. Thanks guys!

@Irp You get better with each knife you make. I've found it to be a very systematic process, just don't cut corners as you go, draw a life-sized sketch of what you want, then assemble the bits precisely with no excuses and constantly step back and compare to the initial sketch. Check for cracks by holding the piece up to the light before finalizing anything, and it should all go well. :twothumbs