Ultrafire C2 modded with MC-E

lewong

Newly Enlightened
I used a MC-E, a DX MC-E star board and a Shiningbeam circuit board (SKU 1217) to mod my Ultrafire C2. I'd read StefanFS mods about making a driver sandwich to get the current needed to drive an MC-E or P7 but I am a little lazy.

The Shiningbeam board advertises 2500 mA output current on high and an input voltage of 2.8V - 6V. It's three modes – high, medium and low. The board seems to remember the last mode, if you keep it on for a couple of seconds. After I put the pill together, I measured a little over 2700 mA at the tailcap with a fully charged Trustfire protected 2400 mAh 18650. I also have used this board to mod a DX P60 MC-E drop-in.

The DX star board/heat sink (SKU 16545) says it's parallel. Measuring continuity with a meter, it seems each connection is independently addressable. I shorted the anodes together and the cathodes together to wire it in parallel. I had to dremel it down so it would fit on the Ultrafire pill.

It's brighter than my direct drive modded P7 Ultrafire C2. After five minutes, it gets hot, but not so hot that I can't hold it. It also dims a little, compared to initial turn-on. It's brighter than my DX P60 MC-E that I modded with the same circuit board. More notes on my blog.

I don't know if this mod is any better than buying a C2 with an MC-E in it already, except my mod doesn't have a strobe mode.