Is there a AA powered with a P60 drop in flashlight?

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=193915

It may have been asked before,..good question anyway.
icon3.gif

PaulHsu

Newly Enlightened
This I'm sure is a dumb question but why do you have to use a Malkoff drop in with AAs if you are using the same voltage as with 123As? No regular cheap P60 drops in will work with AAs?

RGB_LED

Enlightened
As long as the AA's can power the P60 drop-ins, then some may prefer to do that instead of CR123's since there are always concerns with Li-Ion's.

As for cheap P60 drop-in's; I have never run my 6, or so, cheap P60 drop-in's - or even my M60 for that matter - with AA's so I can't say... but, as long as the AA's can power the drop-in, I don't see why you wouldn't use AA's with any of your P60's if that is your preferred power source. I guess the ones who have tried this setup tend to prefer the Fivemega bodies with M30 / M60 combo... I even looked at this potential setup but I didn't like how long the 2xAA / 3xAA tubes looked. I prefer the M60 + 1x18650 / 1x16340 / 2x16340 combo myself.

Last edited:

PaulHsu

Newly Enlightened
Well, as long as the AA's can power the generic P60 drop-ins, then nothing is stopping you from using other P60 drop-in's with AA's. The Malkoff P60's are just that much better...

One may be skeptical of the hype surrounding them, as was I, but I have compared my M60 to at least 5-6 P60 drop-ins from various sources (included with LED bodies as well as custom P60's) and you can't beat the rock-solid build quality and reliability of the Malkoff's. They are fantastic.

Really? Regular P60s will work - wow! I'm sure the Malkoffs will work better but they are really expensive compared to the cheap P60s on DealExtreme and such.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Like I said, I never tried running any of my P60's with AA's but, from what I've read, others have tried. :eek:

I just checked DX site; the input voltage on a generic R2 P60 drop-in is 3.8-18v so you can probably run it with 3xAA although I would think it will drop out of regulation pretty quickly even with eneloops. The Input voltage on my M60 is 3.8-9.0v so the same is true... The input voltage on an M30 is 1.0-5.5v so that is probably the best solution for running AA's.

As for Malkoff's, er, I see you quoted my response before I changed my previous post... Just to repeat, I really was skeptical of the hype but, after buying and using an M60 and comparing it to about a half-dozen generic and custom P60's, I am completely sold. You simply cannot beat the build quality and rock-solid reliability of the Malkoff's. I just wish I could afford to buy more of them... You can usually spot an M60 occasionally on B/S/T sometimes with a decent discount to original price.

Last edited:

PaulHsu

Newly Enlightened
Like I said, I never tried running any of my P60's with AA's but, from what I've read, others have tried. :eek:

I just checked DX site; the input voltage on a generic R2 P60 drop-in is 3.8-18v so you can probably run it with 3xAA although I would think it will drop out of regulation pretty quickly even with eneloops. The Input voltage on my M60 is 3.8-9.0v so the same is true... The input voltage on an M30 is 1.0-5.5v so that is probably the best solution for running AA's.

As for Malkoff's, er, I see you quoted my response before I changed my previous post... Just to repeat, I really was skeptical of the hype but, after buying and using an M60 and comparing it to about a half-dozen generic and custom P60's, I am completely sold. You simply cannot beat the build quality and rock-solid reliability of the Malkoff's. I just wish I could afford to buy more of them... You can usually spot an M60 occasionally on B/S/T sometimes with a decent discount to original price.

+

Its all about Voltage.

There are many drop-in w/ max Voltage of 4~5V
These are what you want to look for.

This is one of the best drop-ins/dollar
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11074

The overall best may be an M30
... hope that helps
icon7.gif

thanks large bros!

I know a A19 adapter will take a 2 123A Surefire to 2 AAs-
what adapters do you need to get a 2 123A Surefire up to 3 AAs?
Are the good quality aftermarket extensions available?

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I had no idea that you can attach an A19 adaptor and it would fit 2xAA - learn something cool every day! I also don't know the adaptors for SF that would allow for 3xAA so you'll have to check with Lighthound or one of the other shops.

If you already have a SF 6P or C2, you might be better off just getting one of Fivemega's 3xAA bodies to fit your SF bezel.

PaulHsu

Newly Enlightened

Item No. Description MSRP
A14 Converts 6P to 6R $17.00
AN14BK Converts G2 to G2R $8.00
AN14OD Converts G2 to G2R $8.00
AN14YL Converts G2 to G2R $8.00
A19 Converts 6P to 9P/D3 $20.00
A20
Converts 9P/D3 to 6R $28.00

Yeah unless someone lied to me an A19 will take it to 2 AAs - I'm hoping someone knows the magic combination to get to 3 AAs :)

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
To have a two cell SF, or SF clone run with three AA you will need, for example, one A19 and one A14. This is what I use when I am using a two cell SF light. For my 3 cell SF's, or clone bodies, I add one A14. A14 is the same length as an AA cell.

Bill

PaulHsu

Newly Enlightened
To have a two cell SF, or SF clone run with three AA you will need, for example, one A19 and one A14. This is what I use when I am using a two cell SF light. For my 3 cell SF's, or clone bodies, I add one A14. A14 is the same length as an AA cell.

Bill

thanks thats exactly what i needed to know - are there any reasonable aftermarket A19s or A14s?

GreyShark

Enlightened
Any standard 3x CR123 SureFire can hold 2x AA. 2x AA will run a P60, P60L or M60 at low levels. However you can up the ante with an M60LL and it will run at around 60 lumens for a very long time. If you don't mind the dimming it will run for literally days on end with a pair of AA's. An M30 will also work but the nice thing about the M60LL is that you can use it with 2x AA's, 3x primaries and 2x rechargeables making it very omnivorous.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use an Aleph 17500 body I purchased for $30 dollars, A Malkoff E-Series Bezel also $30 dollars. It is 100% P60 compatible and I use an M30 in it. I have an AW 17500 li-on cell rightnow, but I also have AA Alkalines for emergencies. This is A good EDC light and very versatile because of the AA to 17500 aspect.:whistle:

PaulHsu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys do you recommend any aftermarket extensions that will fit on surefires?

prof student

Enlightened
Ok. I am a little lost. IS there an aftermarket body that holds 2 x AA but will use a Surefire bezel & cap so I can use a Malkoff M30?