THRUNITE *TIKEY* -UPDATED- review/thoughts - lots of pics

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a TIKEY from David at THRUNITE for evaluation. I don't know for sure if this is the final version but I guess so since it should soon be released.

Extract from the announcement:

〇Made from Titanium alloy (TC4), really strong.
〇Resistance to impact by dropping according to US MIL-STD-810F
〇Waterproof
〇Utilizes a Nichia white GS LED with a life of 100,000 hours
〇Max output: 10 Lumens
〇Uses 3 Pieces of AG13(LR44) batteries
〇4.6cm (Length) x 1.7cm (Diameter)
〇3+hours working time
〇Made of TAC4 Titanium
〇Polish finish
〇30-gram weight (including batteries)
〇Gift box with Three Pieces of AG13 batteries include

My first impression: this is a nice little keychain flaslight. The design is simple but very elegant. There are no sharp edges, so it feels very comfortable in the hand. There is a feeling of quality when manipulating the light, possibly because of the weight. For the size, it feels more like if it was made of stainless steel. The titanium has been polished, this add more to the stainless steel feeling. The machining is fantastic, very well achevied. The knurling is enough to grip and still feels smooth.

It is presented in a nice box, comes with 3 extra cells (3 are already in the light) and a splitring. No instruction or presentation sheet at all.

It's a single stage twisty, without any regulation. Very simple. I guess the lack of electronic in it makes it more reliable. So direct driven at 4,5v.

The output is not fantastic, maybe the cells were already weak, they are cheap brand, I will have to test them later. There is a lot of artifacts in the beam and it is more blue than white, typical blue-purple hue with a slightly yellow corona from a Nichia GS. The manufacturer claims the led has a life of 100 000 hours while nichia says it has a life of ''a few thousand hours''. :confused: Go figure... . Don't expect a smooth, even beam. As almost any 5mm single led, there is some rings.

beamshot.jpg

This beamshot has been taken at about 1' 1/2".

There is no lens, just like an ARC aaa or a Fenix E01. The reflector is polished so there is more a hotspot then those two other models. My sample produce a quite uncentered hotspot but the led seems to be well aligned :confused:

When received, the thread seems to only have a light oil on it and the oring was pretty dry, so the light was hard to activate. I put a little bit of Nyogel on it and wow! :eek: the thread are the smoothest TI thread I ever experienced.

The hole to install the splitring has a lot of "meat", it won't ever fails.

No place to install a tritium vial :(

Be VERY carefull when you change the batteries. There is a spring in the end of the tailcap and if you drop the cells without paying attention, it can turn on the wrong side. I had to try 3 times before the three cells were all on the same side. Since there is no polarity protection and that these cells don't have a raised nipple, it's easy to fried or damage the led. Also, take note on the side to install, there's nothing to indicate the way the polarity should be.

Even if the manufacturer claims it is waterproof, I'm not convinced. I know a twisty should not be activated in water but I tried it (for science ! :crazy:). When I played with it after a test in 2 ' of water, I was earing a strange noise like air coming out of it. When I switch it on, after opening, I realised that water did passed through the oring. Could be due to wrong oring size? Oring too rigid? Anyway, either the light should not be turned on or off in the water or maybe this flashlight should be considered as "weatherproof".

Ok, now some pics !

92255218.jpg

OUPS...typo ! (gu I ding...)

19631080.jpg

88528538.jpg

56627042.jpg

woodc.jpg

75623867.jpg

52623076.jpg

94797406.jpg

86711829.jpg

60981313.jpg

88668873.jpg

25611930.jpg

Size comparaison: (from left to right): AA cell, Nitecore EX10, Fenix E01, Thrunite TIKEY, Minimag and HDS EDC

sizecompa.jpg

lensq.jpg

threadd.jpg

The thread is perfect, just add some lube and enjoy.

-----------------------------------------

So? Does it worth 40USD ? Hard to say but I tend to think "yes..."

Remember it's made of titanium. From what I know, this is the least expensive TI light on the market. It's indestructible and has a bling feeling. This light could be considered has a keychain light for occasional need. Finding the keyhole or something you dropped on the grass is ok. But I would not use this light as a backup in a backpack because of the rather short battery life. I would not consider doing a trek with it due to his weak output. I would not bring it in a travel because of his "exotic" cells (let's say "uncommon...").

I see it more as a perfect gift for non-flashaholics. It's nice, will provide illumination for short period needs, seems very reliable, indestructible.

PROS:
-inexpensive for a titanium light
-possibly one of the most reliable light since it's a twisty and there's no electronic
-VERY VERY nice design
-keychain size
-high quality machining

CONS:
-poor runtime
-no regulation at all
-beam is full of artifacts, quite blue tint
-no place to install a tritium vial
-quite heavy for a keychain light
-uses "exotic" cells

Final conclusion: this is a little unbreakable, ultra-reliable source of light wich could be handy as a keychain for short range and short time of use. A fail-proof, bomb-proof glowing keychain.

Last edited:

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: THRUNITE *TIKEY* - partial review/thoughts - lots of pics

Yes, normal without regulation... I guess the results could be somewhat different using Duracell... at least, longer runtime...

recDNA

Flashaholic

My wife might like it but I would have no use for it I can think of.

foxtrot29

Enlightened

It is cheap for Ti, suspiciously so....

Is there any way someone can test the material to see if it actually is Ti? It really looks like stainless steel to me...

(Don't take this as an accusation or anything, just an observation).

Splunk_Au

Enlightened

Yes, normal without regulation... I guess the results could be somewhat different using Duracell... at least, longer runtime...

Might not be the case though, if these results are anything to go by, GP batteries are one of the better performers.

It's interesting how the OP mentioned of high quality machining, while the one at light-reviews.com mentioned somewhat differently.
Take a look at the picture at the top of the review page, the ridges on the head show some clearly rough finishing.

Last edited:

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast

Might not be the case though, if these results are anything to go by, GP batteries are one of the better performers.

It's interesting how the OP mentioned of high quality machining, while the one at light-reviews.com mentioned somewhat differently.
Take a look at the picture at the top of the review page, the ridges on the head show some clearly rough finishing.

Thank you for this link about AA cells, interesting test. But for button cells (LR44), I think I would trust more a well known brand... but on another side, I guess you can have 5 cheap one for the price of 1 good, so...

For the machining, my sample is absolutely perfect, no sharp edges at all, not a single defect. The real best part is trully the sssmmmooootttthhhh thread.

Last edited:

ejot

Enlightened

Is there any way someone can test the material to see if it actually is Ti? It really looks like stainless steel to me...
It looks like it can be disassembled to the bare body. From there, a simple density measurement should be sufficient to confirm Ti-6Al-4V, at least vs. any SS.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast

It looks like it can be disassembled to the bare body. From there, a simple density measurement should be sufficient to confirm Ti-6Al-4V, at least vs. any SS.

touch the light to a grinding wheel. If the sparks are white it's Ti...if yellow it's SS.

Mac