Human powered lighting

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
Discussed around here much?

Specifically I'm talking about human powered recharging, not "capitalize on the energy of the footstep or bicycle wheel in realtime" here...

Perhaps the best I saw (and I wish I could find or remember a link) was a setup that involved this generator that was pulled by the arms via strings, almost looked like a mini "fitness machine".

Their rationale was that handcranks are a terribly inefficient way to capitalize on human muscle power (obviously true!), and they had this setup that could not only charge a light (and at that time it was their proprietary light, but that could HAVE been for good reason), but other things as well...

But back to it, anyone around here ever get into this subject?

Or even crankable/shakeable rechargeable lights?

EDIT: Before I get laughed out of here let me relate why I've long had an interest in this technology.

1989, California, Loma Prieta earthquake. I lived within a few miles of the epicenter of that quake, in the mountains. We were without power for several days. Flashlights and batteries quickly became premium items, as did Coleman gas lanterns, and candles. We DID have these things, and used them all, and survival was of course not a problem.

But since then I've run across these manually chargeable lights from time to time and each time I've thought "Wow, that'd have been nice to have back then"...

Nicer than candles and cigarette lighters anyway, which we used a lot (to conserve on the rest, or to use while the rest were being used for more important tasks...).

So to re-iterate, it's no obsession, but I'm curious if amongst the vast CPF knowledge of lighting there's any on this subject!

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fellow Dude,

You're not going to get laughed out of here, no worries. It's definitely important to be prepared for emergencies. Especially earthquakes.
If you're using it as an everyday use light or just for fun, then it's ok. Generally hand cranked (or anything human powered) lights tend to be inefficient in both short and log term, in the sense you're using up the calories you need for basic survival (in an emergency).

This is why a light using CR123s are great for emergencies, because CR123s have a 10 year shelf life. Energizer Ultimate Lithiums last for 15 years, so all the better.

Last edited:

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
Fellow Dude,

You're not going to get laughed out of here, no worries. It's definitely important to be prepared for emergencies. Especially earthquakes.
If you're using it as an everyday use light or just for fun, then it's ok. Generally hand cranked (or anything human powered) lights tend to be inefficient in both short and log term, in the sense you're using up the calories you need for basic survival (in an emergency).

This is why a light using CR123s are great for emergencies, because CR123s have a 10 year shelf life. Energizer Ultimate Lithiums last for 15 years, so all the better.

Yes, but you can have a stock of these, and the lights for them, and in a REAL "emergency" (I say it like that because despite the severity of the conditions and potentials we were prepared and had modern electricity restored within days) these go into DUTY.

I did time in both scenarios - I was out there with the "firepower" where needed, but I was also inside houses using candles either because "firepower" was being used elsewhere or being conserved.

To be more specific, I used candles when lights were unavailable, I also used them with fully loaded lights in my pockets - because I wasn't about to waste my "firepower"...

Maybe this sounds insane to most here, but this is how I became interested in lighting in the first place...

It's why I've owned so many Maglites, Coleman lamps, pocket lights, "strike anywhere matches", flares...

I've just realized I'm no "flashaholic". I'm a LIGHTaholic!

EDIT: To this day, want to know what my ultimate backup lighting solution is, and has been for years? Candles. Candles and plenty of lighters, and matches for backup. Pathetic? Maybe. Useful? Hit something like Katrina and get back to me - Loma Prieta in my area was at least 1/4 like that in terms of lighting for a few days...

Last edited:

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
I'm not actually looking for anything to purchase real soon, I was more just wondering if there were any high end options in this genre or opinions/experiences from CPF members.

jaundice

Enlightened
I was a few more miles away from the epicenter that day, on the valley floor. It was definitely rocking and rolling!

I hear what you're saying, but my thought is that battery and lighting technology has come so far that it just makes sense to stockpile batteries. I have a zebralight headlamp, and my most-used level is 5 lumens, and it goes for 3.7 days, continuously, at that level. Also, I have a DC adaptor for my li-ion charger, so I can recharge my li-ion directly from my car batteries, or idle my car for power.

If I was really concerned with long-term viability, I'd get a small solar array to capture electricity. Why, in a survival or stranding situation, would I want to convert my calories into light? Besides, I've probably gotten to used to 200+ lumens available at the touch of a button to have to row, hard, for 20 minutes to get the amp-hour needed to power it.

-John

andyw513

Enlightened
Has anyone looked into the solar-powered chargers available on the internet? I have, but can't make my mind up. I have primarily 18650-configurations for all my lights, along with an ETON crank light/radio, and a few shakelights. But still, I'm concerned about when the power is out and I have no other light than the candle, or even the shakelight. Let me know if you find a decent one. Thanks in advance, too.

R@ndom

Enlightened
A issue of popsci included instructions on how to make a AA battery charger inside your shoe. That could be very useful. Just gotta find the article...

gsxrac

Enlightened
Well I cant say ive seen a high end alternative to shake lights. The Nitecore easyAA was supposed to be self rechargeable somehow I thought, what happened to that?

Ohh yea but my dad did stumble on some flashlights that had a built in solar panel so they can recharge in the sun, he bought 4 :ohgeez::ohgeez::ohgeez::sigh: Needless to say he threw them all in a trashcan 2 months later after I explained why he would be better off leaving a light and some lithiums in the glovebox vs. a light that recharges off the SUN...? Plus they all quit working anyway.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF! And no worries about getting laughed out of here; this is what we do. :)

While the question was about human-powered lighting, it sounds like your real concern is having some source of light available...through whatever means. And for that, I'd tend to agree with jaundice: given how efficient LEDs are - and how inefficient human-powered lights are - a long-running LED would probably be your best bet. They can last forever at low levels, and will help you conserve your energy in an emergency.

Shaking a light takes a lot of work, and doesn't offer a lot of lumens in return. That's valuable energy that I'd rather be conserving in an emergency. In contrast, Zebralight headlamps go for more than 3 days on a single AA battery, while RA EDCs or a Nitecore can provide nearly a week's worth of light from a single CR123. (Granted, they won't be overly bright, but they'll offer at least some light....without the fire danger that you'd have with candles.) Add one or two extra batteries, and you've got literally a week's worth of 20-lumen light in a package no larger than a pack of cigarettes. These days, LEDs are efficient enough to offer literally days worth of light from a single battery; as a result, I'd definitely lean towards having a few long-running lights around. And since many of them use common batteries like AA, you can always pilfer a battery from your TV remote control if the blackouts continue longer than you'd expected. ;-)

Hope this helps!

- FITP

P.S. I was in LA for the 1994 Northridge earthquake. Wish I'd had all my current lights then!

Last edited:

Kilted

Enlightened
http://www.appliedinnotech.com/products/crank-flashlights/crank-flashlights.php

Have alook at these I like the DL-1 it is the most robust. Combine with Freeplay lights, and yes Flash-aholics can change the 3-NiMH when they go. And a solar powered charging station, the home front is taken care of.

Solar power:
http://www.cascadegps.com/store/icp-sunsei-se-500-500ma-solar-trickle-charger-7.5w.html

or:

http://www.batteryminders.com/batte...troller-Desulfator-12-Volt-with--p-16140.html

And a modest 12v 12-17amp battery.

An assortment of cables, and one of those dc-ac inverters meant for laptop charging. They run from 120watts up. Remember 120watts = 12v x 10amps, you really do not want to get carried away on the inverter.

=D~~ Kilted

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The Nitecore easyAA was supposed to be self rechargeable somehow I thought, what happened to that?

This was nothing more than a USB rechargeable AA that was given to those of us that first signed up for the light. It worked fine, but was only something like 1400 maH, and I managed to break the top off mine. I think a lot of them soon were broken.

Geoff

jankj

Enlightened
Shaking a light takes a lot of work, and doesn't offer a lot of lumens in return.

Don't think of it as a calories-into-lumens investment. It is more of a "if-you-want-entertainment-you-sweat-a-little" thingy.

As the OP stated, you all have the "light cannons" available to fire up at a moments notice, but you want to conserve batteries for IMPORTANT tasks. This also goes for the low output modes that are so handy for long runtimes. (Such as the quark AA^2 with 30 days at it lowest mode).

It is more a question of what you do when dinners done, the next day's water supply is secured and you have a little free time on your hand. Give the light a 30 seconds shake and you can read, play cards or have a little evening stroll. Guilt free lumens for a little entertainment. Save the batteries for work.

A good benefit is that these low output hand cranked lights is a good pedagogic exercise in conserving batteries. You want light - you work for it. Great for the kids and less flashaholic friends and spouses. That'll keep them from wasting HOURS of battery capacity in a matter of minutes by using the highest output setting to visit the bath room.

About the calories? Neglible. Typically you shake for 30 seconds for 20 minutes of light. That's 1.5 minutes per hour. Or 15 minutes if you want 10 hours of light. A more positive view is that you could advertise that anyone who's freezing go shake a light and warm up a little.

Oh, and I do agree with OP about candles. Love 'em.

Last edited:

Archie Cruz

Banned
Discussed around here much?

Specifically ...
But back to it, anyone around here ever get into this subject?

EDIT: Before I get laughed out of here let me relate why I've long had an interest in this technology.
... but I'm curious if amongst the vast CPF knowledge of lighting there's any on this subject!

I have such experience and we're working on this at work. Not 'flashlights' specifically but very valuable human powered energy capture.
Sadly. That's as far as I'm allowed to go on the subject. You are on the right track though.:thumbsup: