2D Mag with Carley reflector

soloco

Enlightened
I just finished another mod this weekend. The goal of this one was to make a bright, simple, reversible mod of a 2D Maglite. Basically wanted to use the Carley 1940 reflector with one of their hot burning Xenon bulbs. I like the Maglite reflector, but they were melting running the 9V bulbs off of 3 123s. The 1940 reflector has a ream of 0.377 inches. I had a coworker of mine bore it out to 0.75 inches with a drill press so that the Mag lamp assembly would slide into it nicely. The 1940 is significantly shorter than the Mag reflector so I needed to find spacers to make up the difference. It just so happens that City Mill had Machine Bushings that had the EXACT 0.75 and 1.25 I.D. and O.D. that I needed. Awesome! The last piece is a Borofloat lens from flashlightlens.com.

Now I have a 2D Maglite with a solid aluminum 1940 reflector. It's not adjustable, but I don't mind. At least now it's always focused. I have an Elektrolumens 123 holder for 3 123s that are powering a Carley 716 6-Cell Xenon Star PR bulb. This is a VERY simple mod that anyone can do. It's reversible and very bright. Now that I've fitted the Carley reflector to a Maglite, I'm going to try even hotter burning brighter bulbs. Maybe some 20W Halogens or such. I'll post pictures later.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool!

Can you post pics? How did you affix the machine bushings to the stub end of the 1940? How deep did you bore the new 0.75" ID?

This sets you free to go to the Welch Allyn land of super bulbs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wilkey