HDS B42 turned itself on, wouldn't turn off

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Good people,

I had a disturbing experience the other day, and I'm hoping someone here can explain it.

I have a B42 XR, modded with a Seoul and running on two 123A cells. The other day, I discovered the light was running when I opened my sock drawer(that's where I keep it). Thinking I must have switched it on by mistake, I tried to switch it off. Clicking the switch didn't do anything! I loosened the tailcap till it turned off. And now it's functioning normally.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Can anyody explain this?

Deamonic pocession? Should I send it to HDS for warranty service, or consult a priest?

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
It happened once on mine and I realized that the problem was the spring. It also sometimes happens with my 2 AA battery tube for the same reason. Try with a single cell tube to see if it correct the problem. If it's ok, then my guess is that the spring is the problem. Clean all contact point and reinstall the 2 cell tube properly. By properly, I mean:

1) remove the tailcap button
2) load the spring in the tube with the same lenght comming out on both sides
3) screw the tube on the head
4) put 2 fresh cells (don't mix new and old, no different brand, NO rechargeables)
5) reinstall the tailcap

It should be fine now. Note that a good hit could replace the spring in a wrong spot and the problem could re-appear, redo the procedure.

Hope this help!

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Huh.

I thought I gave it a thorough cleaning shortly after I bought it (I'm the third owner), and a couple of times it would turn on if a tapped it on the table a little bit too hard. That behavior stopped after I cleaned it. Cleaning it again won't hurt though, I reckon.

Anyhow, thanks.

cslinger

Enlightened
They tend to do that.....................................right before they KILL!!!!!

Sorry just joking, or am I? :D

I have no idea why that happened. I do know my older HDS lights are susceptible to static turning them on or flashing them for a second.

cslinger

Enlightened
I would bet that is it then. That is the one annoyance with my older HDS lights, which are un-modded and I still love by the way. Sometimes when pulling them from the pocket of sweats they will cycle on/off or sometimes revert to the primary setting.

You should be able to test the theory by creating a static charge with the light.

IIRC, this was a known issue way back when and it was determined that it didn't cause any problems with the light, other then the annoyance.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope you find the solution to your problem! I have a HDS Basic 42 XR, GT that is my most favorite light of them all, wouldn't take anything for it!!!