Help this noob pick the right flashlight for the job please!

BBBSS

Newly Enlightened
I work security at a bar and am looking for a really bright and well concentrated light in a small package I can hold in one hand. I am looking to be able to shine the light across the bar at the other security to get there attention quickly (people really should listen to the radio's better, but thats another topic).

I'd like to spend up to about $100 on the high end, but a really nice light around $50 would be nice as well. I dont mind paying for quality, and am a fan of excess, so if I can give someone a sunburn in a few seconds for a lil more $, I will go that route lol. The range I will be using this will usually be around 40-75 feet or so, and I need the light to be as concentrated as possible in this range. I dont need to light up half the bar, just slap my co-worker thats not paying attention with a beam of light.

I was looking at surefire, and streamlight brands, and see that fenix keeps popping up. For some reason the fenix brand has struck me as a cheap wanna be compared to the other brands. I may be completely wrong in this as I have researched for all of 40 minutes so far. That's kinda why I'm here, I'm a rookie, and you guys are the light junkies, educate me please. :D

Models I have looked at so far...
SureFire G2 LED
SureFire E2D LED

StreamLight Scorpion
StreamLight SureTac
StreamLight TL-2

I'd like something in this size, and something rechargable would be awesome, but there doesnt seem to be anything rechargable in this size with any real kick.

Again I am a huge fan of excess, so if you can point me at something like a train headlight that fits in my hand for around a $100 or less I'd be quite interested. :grin2:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SureFire lights you mentioned are not a good choice. They have too much spill for what you are asking. They do have a nice hotspot, but are spill happy.

Other's, out of your budget, would fit the script.

There is fixing to be a war in here.

Fenix is a very well trusted and reliable brand. I'm SureFire biased so that goes a long way. I have owned Fenix lights that were very good at what they were designed to do.

The Fenix TK11 is a contender as it is a thrower. Put it on Low mode and it will get the attention you want at that distance.

High mode produces a LOT of spill and a LOT of throw. Probably too much throw.

You need a 60 - 100 lumen THROWY light to get attention but not overdo it.

Do not let people talk you into a 200+ lumen thrower like the TK11 is on high because it is complete overkill and you will only **** people off. A lot of people.

I can't think of any obvious ones but some people will.

Beware of 200+ lumen throwers! Just go with me.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a quality 1xAA light would be great for you. I think the Quark AA is a good option or the nitecore D10. Another light I think you should definitely consider is the maratac AA. I don't own one but it looks great:
http://countycomm.com/9290.html

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you're looking for a tight, concentrated beam, it would probably help to know what you liked or didn't like about the E2D LED? It has a much tighter beam than most lights, and if it wasn't tight enough, that narrows down the choices considerably.

From your description, the first combo to come to mind was an LED Lenser P5 and a rechargeable AA cell.

malamalama

Newly Enlightened
I have both a Fenix L1D premium and L2D premium. The L1D is a good pocket size, but no pocket clip. One thing I would be concerned with for your use is spill. While the L1D does have a strong hotspot in turbo mode, I just pulled it out and tried it out on a wall at approx 40 feet. The hotspot was about 8' in diameter not counting spill, so you'd be lighting up a few guys assuming they're standing next to each other. I'm sure most if not all heads would be swiveling to you.

My initial thought was for a SF E1B. It is out of your initial price range, although I thought I saw one for $110 on marketplace a few days ago. The E1B does have less spill and would definitely get your target's attention.

I agree with what the previous poster said about spill. To me, the only downside about the TK11 in your case is size, although you did mention the G2L and E2DL which is similar in size. The E1B is much smaller and has a good pocket clip.

Sorry I don't have any beamshots, but if you search cpf, others have some great ones posted. You might get a better picture (no pun intended) of what I mean about the spill.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
most lights, especially the ones dealt with here, do offer a very "same" beam, a mixture of throw and medium flood - simply because that is the most useful one.

When Your partner looks into Your direction, even something small like a Fenix E01 will get his attention. Or eventually something like an L01, because of the switch at the back.
If not looking the right direction, You will need a light so powerful that the beam will **** anyone beween You both.

If that light is only used for that single task and not for night shift, try a Fenix PD20.
Very small, very powerful, the CR123 battery will last very long when only used for short bursts.

When size is not that important and more runtime, lower cost of usage, is needed, get a 1*18650 Li-Ion light. That size and cell has no match at the moment. But something like the Jetbeam Jet III, or the Olight, or L-mini II, or ..., is much better to pocket than those useless "tactical" lights like TK11.

whatever light You choose, if You feel there is too much spill, cut a round "disc" out of adhesive tape and glue it in the middle of the front glass. Play with size till You like it. That cuts much of the spill light part and the focused beam remains.

Last edited:

Toaster

Enlightened
Gerber Firecracker is what you want. It has a TIROS optic with a very tight beam and virtually no spill. The 18 lumen output is just about right for what you're trying to do. Anything more powerful with such a focused beam goes from eye-catching to down right annoying. There are some good pics and beamshots in this thread. It has some comparison beamshots against an Inova X1 v1 which would be even better suited for your needs except you probably can't get your hands on one anymore.

crockett

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, a noob here myself and I'm sure someone more experienced will chime in but I was just looking at the E20 from Fenix. One level of output 109 lumens. But it claims that the beam is focusable. How focusable, I'm not sure. And this might be too much light for what you're trying to do.

If I was security at a bar I think the perfect light would be:

-Very low mode (moon) for checking IDs.
-A low mode - Help out a DJ find something, etc.
-A "medium" (by this boards standards) with lots of light to light up the area if you lost power, or checking a darkened closet etc.
-A tight focusable beam mode on medium to do just want you want to do.
-And finally, maybe a turbo strobe mode if you want to disorient someone who might get in your face. (don't know if this would come in handy).

I'd want all this accessable with a clicky on the back. A common two mode switch on the front that you could program (very low for IDs and your focus beam for communication) would be a big bonus. I doubt this light exists. However.....

The Quark 123 (Uses CR123 bats) or the Quark 123 AA (uses a single AA) comes pretty darn close and fits in the palm of your hand. Also, comes with a finger holder.

The only thing it won't do is what you originally asked for. But then again you could always carry two lights:).

I would get the "AA" version which pretty much ensures you'll always have a working light within a few moments.

passive101

Enlightened
I've worked security in several places. I can tell you right now that using a tactical light at full brightness is a terrible idea. I use those lights in conjunction with a firearm with my training.

Have you seen how much light tactical lights give off and how blinding they are if you were to get a paying patron in the eyes in low light with one :eek:
There is nothing wrong with excess, but when we are talking about what some lights are designed for it certainly sounds like something a boss would NOT be happy about.

I'd recommend a light that can get very bright for you, but use a lower setting if all you need it for is to get someone's attention. :welcome:

Last edited:

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
For your uses the Nitecore D10 R2 would be hard to beat imo!!

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Since you're looking for a tight, concentrated beam, it would probably help to know what you liked or didn't like about the E2D LED? It has a much tighter beam than most lights, and if it wasn't tight enough, that narrows down the choices considerably.

From your description, the first combo to come to mind was an LED Lenser P5 and a rechargeable AA cell.

x2... ditto this. With night adapted vision within 75 feet you don't need a lot of Lumens to get someones attention or spot individuals. ~50L OTF in a tight beam would be more than enough. A light that's intended to room sweep, range spot or tactically blind would probably be too bright and just end up annoying people. IMHO a light with a focus adjustable optic would be ideal.

My co-worker has a P5 and its a nice little light IMHO.

Last edited:

Biginboca

Newly Enlightened
I would be careful also about going higher than 50 lumens for this use. The last thing I would want is to have blinded my back up going into a confrontation with a rowdy drunk.

Think about preserving your partners night vision and awareness, not just grabbing their attention.

If there was a light with a low power or user adjustable strobe it might be a good option. Don't know if there is one though...

passive101

Enlightened
Up until a few years ago 60 lumens was a tactical light. Even a 35 lumen light such as an old Inova T1 or something is to bright for this application (from my reading of it)

Maybe we are not understanding what this place is like, but it sounds like he wants a bright light and he should look for one with low settings such as a Fenix, nightcore, 4sevens, and several other manufacturers.

In low light you do NOT want to be shining anything close to tactical lights at eye level around a crowd.

I just ordered a 4sevens for non duty use. It has great multi brightness settings.

Also remember even in lower power the bright flash from a white/bluish tinted LED is going to get someone's attention. If someone were to flash outside an Inova X5 it would certainly get my attention in the dark.

jchoo

Enlightened
I think that the very focused beam of a Surefire L1/E1L/E2L with the older style TIR optic would be very good for what you need - the L1 in particular, since you have both low and high levels at your disposal.

And no, I'm not just saying this because I'm selling one on the MP. :D

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the E2L...(for all you flashaholics, take your F04 off, and you'll realize it doesn't have alot of spill...LOL). Plus the low mode...and you don't really have to worry about running dry super quick do to the higher than average runtimes -vs-output.