Something brighter than my surefire E2DL? Around the same size.

Dr. EVOVIII

Newly Enlightened
I have a E2DL and it's great, but I'm looking for something with more lumens.

I want to retain the small size and beam patten as much as posable. I like the Olight M30. That is the only one I found from searching so far that is not a whole lot bigger in size.

Can my E2DL be moded at all for more output?

Any advice on what to look at will be very helpful.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M30 and E2DL are quite different in size...

P8022009.jpg

P8022010.jpg

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M30 uses 3, 123 batteries and had a larger head compared to the E2, this is a much larger light. The beam pattern from the Cree MC-E will have more output, but will be a much wider beam compared to the tighter beam of a single die emitter.

How much more light do you want? Your E2DL is 120 lumens.

How much do you want to spend? Do you want more than low and high?

Some more details and we can definitley help you.:thumbsup:

Oh, and welcome to CPF!

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
The OP never stated his budget for the light.

The OLight M30 is available around $130-140. SF LX2 can be found for about 160-180 (check out the Marketplace).

Either way, we are still talking about 2 different lights. M30 has the MC-E which would provide a nice flood at the expense of the added length. LX2/E2DL would be ideal for pocket carry but they are single die emitters.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Last edited:

ColoradoStoneman

Newly Enlightened
The T20c2 looks interesting, and may be a bit brighter then the E2DL, but the beam will probably not be as nice. The LX2 is brighter but from what I have seen it just amounts to a bigger hotspot.

In practice, any real noticeable increase will require a quad emitter. The M30 is a quad, but is more of a flood then a thrower. It will light up a room better then the E2DL, and have a larger hotspot, but won't really throw much farther.

If you want more throw then a quad with a larger reflector is needed.

I have a Jetbeam M1X with an extension running 2x18650's, and it has a very impressive throw. It blows away my TK11 and M20 r2's, but it is a big light.

For an EDC, I don't think you will find anything better then your E2DL. You probably have about the best light in that size already.

Dr. EVOVIII

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses so far. :twothumbs The M30 does look bigger, but for me that is not too big.

So it sounds like I will need to get something bigger to gain alot of output? As for price under $400. I was also considering an HID light but they all look to big.

I guess to sum it up what I am looking for is the best output in the smallest size possible.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
For some reason I was thinking this was about weaponlights.

I feel bad for anyone with an M30 on their weapon though. Especially with a gas piston system :devil:

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
Thanks for the responses so far. :twothumbs The M30 does look bigger, but for me that is not too big.

So it sounds like I will need to get something bigger to gain alot of output? As for price under $400. I was also considering an HID light but they all look to big.

I guess to sum it up what I am looking for is the best output in the smallest size possible.

Without knowing your runtime requirements, SF 6P/Malkoff M60.

In that size, after reading around here for months, I don't see anything else that matches this.

The Malkoff M60 is $55, a SF 6P is $69 to $112 depending on which way you go within that form factor.

230 lumens for 90 minutes, regulated. Another hour of "useable light" - I toss my cells into a lower powered light at that point, but if you get stuck with just your 6P that much is supposedly there...

I bought the 6P Defender, $112, got a Malkoff M60, now for $167 I've got the above, and a backup 80 lumen Surefire head that'll give me 4 hours regulated and supposedly 11 hours total runtime.

I've tested the 4 hours of "max output", I have not yet tested the 11 hour part (see two paragraphs above).

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 6P/M60 combo (like the LX2) isn't going to be significantly brighter than E2DL (brighter, maybe, but not that much). Unfortunately, if you like the size and beam profile of the E2DL, there isn't anything significantly brighter yet.

Check out the dedicated throwers - Tiablo A10, Deerelight DBS, etc. They're brighter than the E2DL, but due to the size of the head, they're even bigger than the M30.

Dr. EVOVIII

Newly Enlightened
The 6P/M60 combo (like the LX2) isn't going to be significantly brighter than E2DL (brighter, maybe, but not that much). Unfortunately, if you like the size and beam profile of the E2DL, there isn't anything significantly brighter yet.

Check out the dedicated throwers - Tiablo A10, Deerelight DBS, etc. They're brighter than the E2DL, but due to the size of the head, they're even bigger than the M30.

The Tiablo A10 is sweet but a little on the big side for what I want.

Superdave

Enlightened
PM Milky.. i bet he could squeeze a MC-E in that E2DL head. The beam might not be pretty but it'll sure be bright!

maybe a good binned R2 would be more practical though.

If you go with an E to C adapter, there are people that make MC-E dropins that should fit. 400+ lumens is fun to pack, but extra sets of batteries aren't.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some Cree XP-G lights are on the horizon if you can wait that should be able to do 300 OTF.

That a nice budget for a serious light. Look at some of the excellent custom built lights.

You should buy one of these if you can.

ColoradoStoneman

Newly Enlightened
The Neofab Legion II is really impressive. Having a Jet M1X, which throws great, I am impressed how the Legion II throws as well, but also has a huge hotspot and bright flood, with a minimal cross in the center.

Very nice light.

JKL

Enlightened
This is a nice looking light. 300 lumens... Anyone test it?

The flashlights mentioned as you know are quite different, at any rate this is a comparison of some flashlights reported in the thread.

The EagleTac T20C2 surely is a good trower but 300 lumens rated...

jkl/klm12

dscf5058jklklm12.jpg

Olight M30- Olight M20- EagleTac T20C2- Surefire E2D L

Last edited: