SureFire Flood Light

Numbers

Enlightened
I am not sure if this has been coverd since the LX2 came out but why doesn't SF make a light in the same form factor as the LX2 that is a flood light. Reflector, 200lm hi, 15im low, same tail switch etc... (but ditch the clip) ?

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF does not seem to have any interest in a "flood" type light anymore. Seems they only like the pencil thin, no spill, TIR type lights anymore. What a shame.

What I'd give for a TRUE L2 update, not what they put out.

My .02 FWIW YMMV

WDR65

Enlightened
The A2L does a decent job at this. I tend to think of it as a replacement for my old L2 with a bit more throw added in.

The new L4 also does a very good job at throwing a wall of light with throw added in. Its a bit more of a combination beam than the old L4 but still floody.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I am not sure if this has been coverd since the LX2 came out but why doesn't SF make a light in the same form factor as the LX2 that is a flood light. Reflector, 200lm hi, 15im low, same tail switch etc... (but ditch the clip) ?

You won't get 200 lumens, but the nearest thing to the light you're looking for is Surefire's new A2L. Despite the designation, for all practical purposes; it's an upgrade to Surefire's most popular flood light, the L4.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
LX2 + F04 = best of both worlds. I use my F04 on a whole variety of SF lights. On the LX2, you get a nice, bright, perfectly smooth flood beam.

-Robert

R@ndom

Enlightened
LX2 + F04 = best of both worlds. I use my F04 on a whole variety of SF lights. On the LX2, you get a nice, bright, perfectly smooth flood beam.

-Robert

Yep, wonder why more lights don't have a pop-up diffuser. Both SF and Petzl have it so I don't see that as a patent issue. It is really useful.

Size15's

Flashaholic
There are a number of reasons why beam diffusers are not more widely used.
Firstly, even a high-quality diffusing material such as the POC LSD used by SureFire obviously reduces the output.
Secondly, using high quality diffusing material is expensive.
Thirdly, SureFire has several patents for their BeamFilters (ones that have a latch, and an open-stay mechanism)

Still, there is plenty of room to play for those keen to innovate.

Given the invention of the lower output, broader secondary beam by SureFire and the introduction of secondary LED(s) there is less need for a diffusing filter.

This doesn't help those wanting high output diffuse illumination though...

Al :)

BigD64

Enlightened
L4 is the flooder of choice for LEO's. There are other hand held "flood" lights but the L4 is still the wall of light king. The new "fire" lights (G2D-FYL ) come with interchangeable diffusers. Not the smaller form factor of the L4 but a lot of light in a hand held package.