Help - New Draco 10280 batteries too short.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered 3 - 10280 Li Ions from Lighthound for my Draco and they are all too short. It looks mainly like the bump on the positive end of the battery is flush with the top as opposed to the original battery which has an extended + terminal bump.

When I close the Draco and tighten it down I can still hear the battery shaking back and forth and now light turning on. I tried putting a tiny piece of metal at the bottom of the battery tube which worked, but even if the light is off the metal piece bounces around and makes contact with the negative terminal and the side of the case while the top of the battery touches the positive terminal and the light flashes on and off - you can imagine what that does to the programming with the way the FluPIC response to <0.8s turn ons.

Anyway - was thinking I could solder a small piece of metal to the copper at the + terminal on the light, but would rather do a solution which fixes the problem on the battery rather than risk holding a soldering iron too long on a $250 light.

Any other thoughts appreciated. Thx.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking for a slightly quicker and cheaper solution I solved the problem by taking out the dremel tool and roughing up the negative end a bit. Then I melted some solder onto the end and put a small piece of metal on the end to extend it. Then I held the soldering iron on the metal until the solder melted underneath it and bonded the small metal extension.

Works perfectly.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to know you solved the problem.

Modamag had mentioned that he arranges his 10280's into two groups (short and long, or was it wide and thin?). One group goes with lights shipped overseas and the other with US bound Dracos (in other words he has two slightly different Draco tubes if I understood him correctly). He had encountered this sticky problem with 10280 tolerances.

How do you like your Draco? I love mine; it is ever present on my key chain. :thumbsup:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you like your Draco? I love mine; it is ever present on my key chain. :thumbsup:

I love this little light. It has to go right to the top of my signature!

I actually purchased it from the Sandwich Shoppe very recently as modamag seems to be MIA from the Drake/Draco Part 4 thread and people are wondering if they can still get lights. I would love to place an order for a Drake and a trit and some spare parts for the Draco but I sent a pm and haven't heard back yet.

I had it on my counter in the closet when I was getting dressed and my wife walked over and said OH ISN'T THAT CUTE - right before she turned it on pointed straight at her face and blinded herself for about 10 minutes. I'm sure I am evil - but she cut me off from my flashaholic syndrome - so :crackup: - what can I say........

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll show you for leaving such an innocent looking tool of badassness lying around :whoopin:. No more flashlights for you! :touche:

:crackup::crackup:

hjdca

Newly Enlightened
I had this problem with my titanium draco. I easily solved it by using a toothpick and putting some flux on the positive terminal on the head piece. Then touching a drop of silver solder on the terminal. It forms a perfect dome a few mm higher... This made the light work perfect with the shorter batteries... Really an easy and permanent fix... You can also easily file the solder down if the dome is too high...:D