Surefire T1A Owners---Long Term Opinions

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been considering picking one of these up since they were released.

For owners of the T1A, can you give me you opinions on the light after owning it for a while?

Is it what you thought it would be?

Any problems or complaints?

Most important question: Has anyone figured out how it comes apart for modding?
I think a high CRI Seoul would be perfect in this!

I've read several past reviews on Blue Tints, Flickering and off center emitters...are these just isolated cases or are they common complaints?

I want to buy one but would like to hear more opinions before I go ahead.

Please share your thoughts....:popcorn::grin2:

Last edited:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too have been on the side lines. One of my biggest reservations is that the beam is too floody. I would probably buy one if the reflector was interchangable. I'm not looking for a pencil beam but don't like a flashlight that is "all" flood. Owners have commented that the T1A is more floody than the original titanium model.

Last edited:

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thumbsup: I purchased one, when they were first released. T1A is my primary EDC and "go to light". Still use and like Spy005, too.

My light is "cool", toward blue, however that is OK. The ability to emit very low lumens to bright is the attraction for me. I had an original Ti Titan (CR2), however the T1A for me is much more practical, due to the aluminum CR123A body.

The action is smooth with LED centered and no flickering. The beam is floody, yet has a bright center that transitions smoothly without artifacts to the edge of beam. It is quite useful for "close up work" and also to light up a large area inside or a backyard! I have found that it works well for walking the dogs in place of a Surefire U2.

Twist heads have always been my preference, I pocket carry with a lanyard attached. Have also found that aluminum lights work well for me and I don't have quite the same concern if light is lost compared to Ti or a Custom light, as it can be replaced.

I still occasionally carry a McGizmo light, Aeon or Nautilus, but the T1A for me is the nearly perfect light. Normally I carry in a seperate pocket, without any other metal objects and it still looks new.

Hghly recomended :twothumbs

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thumbsup: I purchased one, when they were first released. T1A is my primary EDC and "go to light". Still use and like Spy005, too.

My light is "cool", toward blue, however that is OK. The ability to emit very low lumens to bright is the attraction for me. I had an original Ti Titan (CR2), however the T1A for me is much more practical, due to the aluminum CR123A body.

The action is smooth with LED centered and no flickering. The beam is floody, yet has a bright center that transitions smoothly without artifacts to the edge of beam. It is quite useful for "close up work" and also to light up a large area inside or a backyard! I have found that it works well for walking the dogs in place of a Surefire U2.

Twist heads have always been my preference, I pocket carry with a lanyard attached. Have also found that aluminum lights work well for me and I don't have quite the same concern if light is lost compared to Ti or a Custom light, as it can be replaced.

I still occasionally carry a McGizmo light, Aeon or Nautilus, but the T1A for me is the nearly perfect light. Normally I carry in a seperate pocket, without any other metal objects and it still looks new.

Hghly recomended :twothumbs

Oh Jeff... did you have to go there and endorse this one??? I have not purchased one yet but your endorsement pushes me quite a few steps closer.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good thread. Also interested. Almost pulled the trigger on the T1A three or four times and then the 'angry blue' tint comments pulled me back from the precipice :rolleyes:. Also the output is somewhat anemic although that is not as big of an issue for me (even though I am a lumen junky :naughty:).

I also had the same question on its modability :poke:. If it were relatively modding benign, I would not have hesitated so much. It is a unique light with an innovative interface that I would love to add to my EDC rotation.

I know that I will eventually reel one in but with so many other Ra's and Spy's to choose from, I am holding back (barely).
:popcorn:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
After some initial testing T1A did not replace the original Titan as my main EDC, the one I have with me no matter what.

x6mmop.jpg

Its main advantage i.e. the use of a CR123 instead of a CR2 could not overcome its slightly bulkier size and the tint that is a bit too blue for my liking.

Having said that this light is well made and has worked flawlessly until now. The tailcap attachment could be improved but the current one can be used without problems.

Would I buy another one in case I lost mine: probably not. ;)

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input thus far!

I'd still like to hear what others have to say...maybe after a few days, I will be convinced to pick one up.

How low is the low?

My EX10 or H60W has the lowest low of any of my lights. How does it compare?

I think I read somewhere that the low could get so low, you can just barely see that it is on??
Is the low really that low?
Would you say the low output is lower than most lights available?
If there is one with a lower low, what light is it?

It sounds as if the beam profile is like the old LUX V KL4 or (L4)...only not as bright.
Would you agree?

How has the finish been holding up?
Does it scratch easy?
My E1B showed a lot of wear fast.

It really does sound like the UI is one of the best out there currently. No flickering and smooth transition throughout the levels!

Is there any noticable jump in brightness as the bezel is turned slowly?
You can see the different levels switching on the Nitecore EX10 as it ramps up...does the T1A do this also?..or is it really just that smooth of transition?:popcorn:

Also can someone post a pic of the T1A next to any E-Series Light, please?:grin2:

Thanks!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The low is low, really low. When on in complete darkness, you can look directly into the emitter without any discomfort at all. It is really low.

The output is a littel floodier than the old LuxV KL4, but at least as bright. It is floodier than the original T1, and even for me, it is a little too floody to be the perfect all-around EDC. I have to admit though that for almost all tasks I use it, it is perfect.

The CR123 beats the CR2 in so many ways that I still use the new T1A as keychain light.

Finish shows some slight wear just llike all HA lights do over time. Nothing noteworthy here.

UI is smooth without any flickering or level jumps at all. One of the best UIs I know. I don't know if the T1A will develop the same flickering problems some of the original Titans had though. Time will tell.

I do not care for the tint of a non-HighCRI LED, so the cold hue doesn't bother me.

For me ... it is one of the best small lights out there. UI, size and battery vs runtime vs brightness. Anyone I know can use this light in a second in any situation. It is a no-brainer and a joy to work with.
I had the T1 on my keychain ever since it was out, and now it gets replaced with the T1A.

bernie

Praxis

Enlightened
Picked one up on CPFM last week. So far I've been happy with it. The blue tint is not really an issue in use, but certainly stands out when I compare it to other lights with higher CRI LEDs. It's kind of neat to be able to look at the emitter when I turn it on and watch it start to glow dimly before it gets bright. Mine started flashing yesterday on higher levels, but I put in a new battery and everything seems fine. I suspect the old cell was fairly well used when I purchased it. Need to use it more than a few days before I can really make a solid opinion of the light, but so far I like it.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry mine on my keychain since I got it and have not had any problems with it. It does have a blue tint but this does not seem to hinder it's usefulness in practical use. But if you absolutely hate blue tinted LEDs then you might want to pass.

I've not had any issues with the light. I have never noticed it to have turned on by itself in my pocket (which was a concern of mine). The floody beam is like the L4, useful and wide.

The low low is also useful when I need to get something out of the bedroom with the wife is asleep, etc.

The flickering on high is a nice battery low indicator. I'm glad it does this.

Overall I am very happy with the T1A.

wmirag

Enlightened
The T1A became my EDC several months back, replacing a Titanium Muyshondt CR2.

The primary reason the T1A suits me is the fully adjustable output, especially the super low end. The very lowest level is just right for navigating a truly dark room. And the dial-in makes for discreet use in restaurants and such.

I wish it were as small as my last EDC. And I wish it had at least a little hotspot. But, all in, it's nearly perfect for my needs. Aesthetically, it is a joy to use and even to look at.

W.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had mine for a couple of months now. No problems at all. It is in my pocket all day at work and always gives me enough light- behind equipment and computers.

You have to see the low to appreciate it. I have a H60- the low on that is bright compared to the titan! Like Kiessling says, you can look directly into it. In my opinion the low and the UI are the outstanding features of this light. The low is lower than the LiteFlux series of lights. You can sneak around the house at night and not disturb anyone.

My UI is still as smooth as the day I got it. A slow steady increase with no jumps or flickering.

My finish is holding up great. Been with keys, change and cell phones- even dropped!

Pick one up- you won't be disappointed. I'll probably be picking another one up for my son.:thumbsup:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cmon DaFab, join the dark side, oh wait that should bethe "Light" side haha.

I picked a T1A up two weeks ago. After my gf got me the Silver E1B she liked the size. but I dont think she needs a E1B. When I was at Cabela's in Wheeling, WV, they had the Titan an clearance. I only paid $112 for it. convoluted story as to how I got it so cheap. but I figured it looks pretty enough for my gf and a LOT more useful for her than an E1B. the two stage E1B is great for my "tactical" needs and the T1A is great for her as a replacement for her old style streamlight nano.

She keeps it on her keychain with like a bazillion keys. when I got the T1A it has a chip or two on the bezel. but nothing atrocious or nearly as bad as the NTI 6Z that im getting.

here is a pic I posted in the Collection HA-BK thread.

dsc0274f.jpg

but I will take a better pic with my E1B and T1A later.

Last edited:

DimmerD

Enlightened
I use mine everyday and have since I bought it. Batteries are lasting about a month for me which is great, seeing as how much it gets used. Still smooth as butter, no scratches on mine yet. I don't understand why they call it "angry" blue, doesn't seem angry at all to me. Yes it looks a tad blue compared side by side to other lights, but angry, no. Now if I could get the wife to keep her mouth shut and stop telling people , "Is that your $250 dollar light"? then I would be happier. But thats not the lights fault now is it?
And no, she doesn't visit these boards.:nana:
Get one and if you don't like it sell here on the marketplace.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
I have both the Original limited edition Titan and T1A.
For me the Titanium Titan got my preference because of its size, beam and Titanium body.
I am not saying that the T1A is a bad light, it only did not meet my expectation as the Titanium one did.

But, with all the lights now on the market, the T1A is still one of the best EDC small pocket light, no clic sequence to remember and instant access to any level of light, simple and easy to operate that's it !!

:wave:

Last edited:

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both are outstanding lights, but it is my opinion that the original titanium version has the edge on every attribute with the exception of the gritty threads. My paticular specimen has a very neutral flat white beam, appears to have just the slightest bit more concentrated hotspot than the T1A, and has that wonderful lanyard attachment point with quick-release and 1/4x20 threads. I'm up in the air as to CR2 vs CR123; typically I'm a CR123 guy at heart but it's not like the T1A is gargantuan when placed next to the original titanium one. They're practically the same size overall for all intents and purposes. If you can afford both then I say get both. :D

For me it all comes down to two issues for each light:
titanium Titan - higher cost, notoriously gritty threads
aluminum Titan - blue-ish tint, inferior lanyard attachment point

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solscud007, Thanks for those pics!:wave:

It helps a lot!

Now we need a comparison between the T1A and The Ti TITAN...anyone have both.

I was able to borrow a Ti Titan from another Great Member!

The UI is absolutely Awesome!
I have NEVER seen such a smooth transition through levels.

I'm pretty sure I will be buying a T1A real soon!

I'm just interested in seeing the 2 different models side by side...full picture of both....:poke:

Last edited:

BSBG

Enlightened
I picked one up last week and must say I like it, for all the reasons outlined above.

It has temporarily become my EDC of choice, but time will tell if it lasts in that role.