Best tactical LED for under 150$

bassackwards

Newly Enlightened
after spending the better part of two evenings searching for a light on these forums, I find myself in need of some advice.

I am looking for a tactical light capable of handling the abuse from being weapon mounted, but I would also like to use it as a handheld flashlight as well. I am looking for a rechargeable...or at least use batteries that are rechargeable LED light. I want it to be fairly bright (400+lumens at least, preferably 500-600) and capable of continuous use for at least 45 minutes at max power. It also needs to have a fairly long throw (500ft), but a small degree of flood as well.

I have a Surefire 8NX Commander (http://www.surefire.com/8NX-Commander). I love the size, weight, and utility, and I would like something similar, but my Surefire is simply not bright enough for what I need.

I am hopefully capable of modifying a flashlight with a drop in LED setup ...but probably not more than that. Thanks for the help.

Toaster

Enlightened
Jetbeam M1X would fit your requirements. It runs 68 minutes at max power on a pair of 18500 li-ons according to the review here. The only caveat is that the RM-01 tape switch is not yet available. Although according to the sales thread here, we'll be seeing some videos of it soon which hopefully indicates availability sometime in the near future.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
Well you say you want it to be weapon mounted, do you require a tape switch?

If so this really cuts down your options. If you need a weapon light you need it to be reliable, and tape switches are a bit of a week point on most 'weapon' lights.

I would suggest you go for a simple 6P with a Malkoff M60 and if you require a tape switch get the XM07 tail cap to use when mounted.

This basically gives you a 660 classic weapon light that can be carried as a handheld light as well, but for much less than the cost of the 660. Because you are using an LED you don't really need the shock isolation of the 660s z32 bezel, although recoil and it's effects on the batteries is still something to consider.

What type of weapon will you be mounting it on?

FlashlightsNgear.com

→Formerly d1live←, Flashaholic
No matter what type of weapon your mounting to, the Jetbeam RRT1 & RRT2 are great choices and Eagletac has the T20C2 and T100C2 that are also great choices. The Olight Warrior Premium version would be a much better choice if shooting 500 Feet than the M30 Triton due to the M30's lack of throw, the M30 would be a great choice at 100 yards or less. I mounted a Jetbeam M1X to one of my shot-guns and head is too big to point straight ahead (points down alittle), its still crazy bright and works good on a rail-mount IF the mount is long enough (Ive found - it has to be a offset a mount). If you DONT need a tape/pressure switch their are many options out their if the gun does NOT produce heavy amounts of recoil, all the lights Ive mentioned above handle recoil from my Remington 870 Super-Mag using 3.5 inch Magnum shells (it kicks like a mule).

gilly

Enlightened
Jetbeam M1X will give you outstanding 'throw' and the output you are looking for (500+ lumens). It's large head may be too wide for you as mentioned above. In this case, I'd look at the RRT-1 Raptor or its little brother the RRT-2. Both are high-quality lights, and although neither approaches your output (they are 240 lumens), both are very bright and throw well. Jetbeam makes superb lights that are of the highest quality. You will not be disappointed with any of the lights listed above...

http://blackforce.stores.yahoo.net/jetm1x.html

http://blackforce.stores.yahoo.net/raptorrrt1.html

http://blackforce.stores.yahoo.net/raptorrrt2.html

discount code: cpfjet for 10% off on checkout.

Good luck!

Last edited:

bassackwards

Newly Enlightened
wow!!! Thanks for the feedback guys. I plan to use this flashlight with a heavily modified Saiga 12 shotgun,an AR15, and some as a handheld. It needs to have a small head so the jetbeam is probably out. I really like the Ace-G but the Olight M30 is really nice too.

I would like to use a tape switch when weapon mounted. Right now I do have a front pistol grip that has a thumb push button switch that works well with my surefire flashlight, but my Saiga flashlight mount is separate from the grip.

So with that said...it seems like a tossup between the Ace-G and the Olight M30. They seem essentially equivalent on everything that is important to me. I dont need multiple brightness levels and they both have a much longer battery life than what I require, they are equivalent in price...so is there any difference between them that I am missing that would help me decide?

gilly

Enlightened
The M-30 has three brighness levels plus strobe. In case you detach it from the weapon and use it as a handheld, the M-30 gives you much greater capability/flexibility.