Malkoff 4-6C with 3x CR123a - questions

DiamondCut2_0

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I bought a Malkoff 4-6C drop-in to run in a 2C maglite with 3 CR123a primaries. I am just wondering what the runtime would be with this setup. Does anyone have a similar mod? And is there anything I need to know about this setup (pros, cons, etc)? What about runtimes with two 18650s? Thanks for your help!

BTW this will be my first "modification" to a light using different batteries.

elumen8

Enlightened
That's the same setup Im going to put together. I understand member mossyoak has used the Malkoff 4-6C in a 2C mag with 3x123 primaries for awhile now. I remember reading a post somewhere that said he got over an hours runtime...but don't quote me. :thinking:

JB

Dark Laser

Newly Enlightened
I think 2 hours will be no problem for primaries - correct me if I'm wrong.

It should be similiar (but shorter, cause the LED is driven hard at 1,1A) to 3X123 LED lights, such as the Fenix TA30. Therefore, it should even be able to run for nearly 3 hours. Of course, there is this "moon-mode" (reduced output), which makes it hard for me to estimate.

2 18650s should last slightly longer (a little more energy).

but don't quote me. :thinking:
Same for me, please :D

DiamondCut2_0

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info! Just got my light in earlier this week and have been playing with it ever since. This is MUCH brighter than my brother's Maglite LED. Anybody do a runtime chart with this setup? Thanks again!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this light, but have not still made a runtime/brightness test.
According to the output of around 200lm three CR123 cells OUGHT to provide close to 3 hours regulated runtime. Anyway if the efficiency of the LED is similar to Fenix lights.

Regards, Patric