Surefire E1B Tailscaps

ptr10001

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know are all E1B tailcaps 2 stage?

I bought one used and it does not seem to drop the brightness of the led.

Will they work with only certain batteries or LED combinations? I thought I had seen one used on Surefire with NEX head.

Is there a technique to getting them to work? I thought it was 2 clicks inside 2 seconds.

Were any single stage ones produced?

hope someone can enlighten me :)

ptr10001

Newly Enlightened
I must have misunderstood the Surefire website then

http://www.surefire.com/E1B-Backup

Which says

"Two-stage tailcap switch: press lightly for momentary-on high output, press lightly again within two seconds for momentary-on low output. Click for constant-on high-output, click off and on again within two seconds for constant-on low output"

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I didn't have some E1B's and was looking at getting one from the SF site, I would have probably come to the same conclusion going off of that description. Unless they have changed the design, (I don't think they have) the E1B uses a standard e-series single stage clicky.

GPB

Enlightened
The change of light power happens in the electronics built into the head of the light, but it is activated by applying power, then turning it off, then back on...ie, by clicking the switch. If the change in brightness level isn't aparent by looking at it, your battery might need changing.

ptr10001

Newly Enlightened
Sorry didn't make myself clear.

I assumed that the two stage (as I believed it was) would work on other LEDs in particular a NEX head I have on a E1E body, in theory (in my head) giving me an extra set of Lumen levels.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3072835&postcount=24

However as it doesn't work as I thought so oh well, plan B I guess.

Looks OK on the E2D I took the existing tailcap from

Size15's

Flashaholic
I dislike SureFire's use of 'two stage' to describe the "dual output" user interface used by the E1L/E2L/E1B/E2DL since it confuses things with SureFire's two-stage push button pressure switch User Interface used by the 10X/A2/A2L/L1/L2/LX2/K2

ptr10001

Newly Enlightened
Especially as it would seem that the Tailcap is not Two stage as described by Surefire.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
And, just for the record, I've got a NEX head on an E1B tailcap and body and it works fine, same functionality as with a NEX tailcap and body.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
The change of light power happens in the electronics built into the head of the light, but it is activated by applying power, then turning it off, then back on...ie, by clicking the switch. If the change in brightness level isn't aparent by looking at it, your battery might need changing.

Exactly.

Could also be a low battery if the high mode doesn't engage.