Olight M20 warrior vs. Jetbeam III m ??? For police work

boxerdog23

Newly Enlightened
Ok I have done the research, read a million of threads and now have started my second thread on this topic. I really need your help, this what I have narrowed my selection down to. This will be the flashlight on my duty belt that will always be with me, I also will use my streamlight xl led that doubles as a baton if need be and is useful during vehicle searches etc as it moves things that I would not want to touch. I will be working in a very urban area in the largest city in Texas, it will be a very busy and fast paced place (see my other post for more info). My life litterally depends on what I can see, so I take this type of research serious.

Enter these two lights, I am pretty much dead locked on both of them. From what I have read the jetbeam is a "more rugged" light, but the olight is a bit brighter.

Should I bother to through this one in the Mix? http://www.eagletac.com/flashlights/t20c2.html

Olight M20 Warrior or the Jetbeam III M

1. Is the olight a lot brighter? 250 to 220 lumens.

2. Would the Jetbeams settings be more officer friendly?

Which would you reccomend? thank you for your input and help!

Last edited:

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't worry about the 250 v 220 lumen thing. I bet you won't be able to tell the difference between the two in actual use.

The Jetbeam Military gets my vote for these reasons:

Nice, heavy construction with a very thick glass lens.
Square threads - long lasting and no cross threading issues.
Dead easy interface. Loosened bezel - (programmable mode) and tight bezel - maximum output.
Stainless steel tailcap and bezel protection.
Light weight and compact.

The programmable mode has all the usual blinky modes if required. The beauty of this simple system is that these modes won't get in the way if you haven't programmed the programmable mode that way.

Don't do any more research - go get one - I have had 3 of them and have loved every one - (people around me keep buying them off me!!:ohgeez:)

Edit: If you're really serious about a 'life saving' light get the following: Surefire C2 HAIII + Malkoff M60 - IMHO this is the best combo available - I just got one and its bullet proof! - 235 lumens with brass heatsink, solid host, twist/momentary with no latch style switch to fail, 3mm thick lens, grip ring for handgun use with Surefire grip method. It's going to cost you more money than the chinese lights but boy, what a combo!!!!!!

James.....:thumbsup:

Last edited:

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 Jetbeam

Because you can set the brightness you want and looks way much better.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on Jet-III M

As a police, you would want a bright light reliably & quickly whenever you need it right?

M20:
Starts at Lo, then Med - Hi - Strobe, you change the brightness by tightening/loosening bezel.

Meaning if you want the 'Hi' mode, you need to tighten & loosen twice after you click the light on.
To be fair, it does memories the last mode you used. Meaning if you turned it off at Hi, it'll come back on at high. But will you remember what was the last mode you're had it last in under high stress situations?
It might be on Hi (or whatever mode you want it to be), or it might not be. Kind of like gambling.

Jet-III M:
Tighten: Max
Loosen equal what you want.

That's always what you get whenever you click on the light.

Good luck with whatever light you choose. :welcome:

Last edited:

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for Jet3M :)

Feel tighter & stronger.
I like the programmability of Jet, from low to Max, or strobe.

Prat

Newly Enlightened
I would get the T20C2 over the Olight M20 Warrior as it seems that it's about the same thing, only cheaper and also a brighter and throws better. But the quality might not be as good. I just ordered one for my first "real" light (non Mag light lol) and I'm betting I'll love it (hasn't come yet). The M20 just seems over priced (the T20C2 can be had for cheaper than listed at your link of course).

BUT, if I were you, I'd get the Jet-III M no question.

All jmho, and I'm a relative newbie so take it for what it's worth. :D

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
In your previous thread, i had said get the M20, but i realise now that i was recommending under the mistaken assumption that the changing of modes was akin to the TA30, which uses a dial on the head (no tightening or loosening) my bad.

I initially recommended the Jet III M so i'm reverting to that, i own a number of Jetbeams, the Jet I Pro IBS v2.0 (AA/14500), Jet II Pro IBS (CR/RCR123), Jet III Pro ST (18650) and lost a Jet I Mk IIx (sob sob) and i can vouch for their toughness, having flung them against concrete, submerged them in buckets of ice, to prove how tough they were to some non-flashaholics.

Both lights are currently on sale, the Jet III at bugoutgear and the M20 on clearance sale at shiningbeam.

i'm reverting to my recommendation for the Jet III M, i had considered the Fenix TA30 (lo-med-high-strobe using a control dial at the head) but that may be a tad too long and uses 3xCR123s (though i have tried it on 2x14500s and currently use it on 2x17500s), the TA30 is tough though, i was sent a unit for testing and used the assault bezel to defend myself with extreme prejudice against vicious concrete floors and brick walls with nothing to show but loss of some anodising. But that would be off topic so i'll just say get the Jet III M.

stienke

Enlightened
Edit: If you're really serious about a 'life saving' light get the following: Surefire C2 HAIII + Malkoff M60 - IMHO this is the best combo available - I just got one and its bullet proof! - 235 lumens with brass heatsink, solid host, twist/momentary with no latch style switch to fail, 3mm thick lens, grip ring for handgun use with Surefire grip method. It's going to cost you more money than the chinese lights but boy, what a combo!!!!!!

+ 1 , but you have one output level , You can look for a MD2 with a M60 and high/low ring for a second low output for reading papers etc.

Mallkoff is a great product , USA made , I have 3 Mallkoff's and I love these lights.

Good luck with your choice!!!!!

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a T20C2 but own a T100C2 and its said the T20 is much brighter so it sounds pretty good, especially if quick access to strobe is important to you.

However I do agree with pretty much everyone on here so you have a tough decision on your hands. If you afford both do it and let the lights to the talking or walking(whatever).

Also as mentioned above shiningbeam has the M20 on sale so here is a link.

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-124/Olight-M20-Warrior-Premium/Detail

Squidboy

Newly Enlightened
Go for the Jetbeam, the new R2 version matches the M20 output and the shape will probably produce less wear and tear than the m20.

Full output with tight head and whatever you set it as on loose head.
Run it on 18650 rechargables and carry a couple of cr123 as spares.

bagman

Enlightened
For a duty light I agree with all the posters above who recommend the JetBeam III M.

I have a warm tint version and is one of the lights I carry on late shifts. Nice simple UI, I have mine set to strobe for the second level.

Very rugged, good protection for the switch and lens. Only down side is it is very throwy with not so much spill in the beam but I have the smooth reflector version and always have a second light on my belt with more flood.

boxerdog23

Newly Enlightened
Can someone tell me the difference with the Jetbeams different LED tints? I am completely clueless. Which should I Get?

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say something with cool white, like Q5 or R2. Primarily because its BRIGHTER compared to led with neutral white times.
You're a police officer, not a photographer, I can't see how you'd benefit from the neutral white tint which some CPF'er prefer.

Closet_Flashaholic

Enlightened
One thing you haven't mentioned is how you are planning to use the M20/Jetbeam. I can't speak to the Jetbeam, however I own and use the M20 for about the past 6 months now, on a nightly basis. The M20 is a "thrower", plain and simple. If you want long distance illumination the M20 does that very well in a very reliable and compact form factor. However, if you are looking for the perverbial "Wall of light" illumination such as to surveil an immediate surrounding, such a group of people close by, the M20 is not suitable for this, IMO. It has a very narrow beam of illumination. There is a surefire model, (not sure the exact model, since I don't follow surefire led lights) that is typically referred to as "the wall of light". You might want to investigate that or maybe someone who owns the Jetbeam can comment on this aspect of the light.

-good luck.

I like the M20, but it has its limitations. I am looking for a "Wall of light" flashlight. Some models I am considering are the Fenix TK-40, and a few oher MC-E based lights, which due to the quad led dies, are much floodier by default. I am waiting to see what 4sevens forthcoming MC-E light looks like before making a final decision.

grunscga

Newly Enlightened
It looks like the Jetbeam is available in R2, Q5, or Q3. Let me start out by saying that I don't own any Q3 lights, so I only know what I've read for those. All three are Cree emitters, but they are all slightly different. First of all, if you run the same power through all three, the R2 will be brightest (highest lumens, about 10% brighter than the Q5). The Q5 will be next brightest, and the Q3 will be least bright (about 30% less lumens than the Q5). The next most important difference is that the R2 and the Q5 will both be "cool" white, while the Q3 is "warm" white.

I have several examples of R2s and Q5s, and the Q5s all have a definite blue or green tint, while the R2s tend to be more pink-ish or yellow-ish (aka. more "warm"). One thing I've noticed is that, while the bluish tints look "brighter", it's actually harder to see things (meaning, I feel like I need to crank the Q5 lights up to higher levels than the R2s to see objects "as well"). It is also easier to tell what colors things are with the R2s. I am not a cop, but that seems like that could be important in your line of work... :)

From what I've read, the Q3 is just a lot more of that, which may or may not make up for the 30% drop in lumens (depending on who you ask).

I definitely prefer the R2 tint to the Q5, and won't buy any more Q5s (if you're already spending $80 on a light, does another $5 really matter?). I have not yet been able to convince myself that the color difference of the Q3 will make up for the 30% loss in lumens (I'm sure others will chime in here... :) ).

Not to muddy the waters further, but if you don't mind the extra $30, the Jetbeam RRT-2 seems to be getting some good reviews.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to check out Malkoff's new MD3 Host (although it is not in stock right now). You can get a Malkoff M60 module (there are both warm and cool tints to choose from) and use it with 3 CR123's, or with 2 rechargeable lithium ion 18500 cells. This would give you a lot of flexibility as far as battery options go, and a simple light that will do what it is supposed to.

gilly

Enlightened

The Pila charger comes highly recommended - a cut above the others in quality. I have had mine for a year and a half and it is excellent. AW 18650s work well in that charger - they are the ones to go with.

I recommend the Jetbeam. To echo above, the RRT-2 is a great light as well. I have carried mine while working nights and it worked out perfectly. Also, if you are willing to deal with a 2.5 inch wide bezel, the Jetbeam M1X will blow the doors off anything you need to illuminate with the same user interface as the Jet III-M.

I recently discovered Tacticalleds.com and they are top notch on customer service - the company is owned and operated by two LEOs out of Allentown, PA.

Good luck - be safe!

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you get the idea that Q5 & R2 binning determines the tint?????:shakehead

James.....

It looks like the Jetbeam is available in R2, Q5, or Q3. Let me start out by saying that I don't own any Q3 lights, so I only know what I've read for those. All three are Cree emitters, but they are all slightly different. First of all, if you run the same power through all three, the R2 will be brightest (highest lumens, about 10% brighter than the Q5). The Q5 will be next brightest, and the Q3 will be least bright (about 30% less lumens than the Q5). The next most important difference is that the R2 and the Q5 will both be "cool" white, while the Q3 is "warm" white.

I have several examples of R2s and Q5s, and the Q5s all have a definite blue or green tint, while the R2s tend to be more pink-ish or yellow-ish (aka. more "warm"). One thing I've noticed is that, while the bluish tints look "brighter", it's actually harder to see things (meaning, I feel like I need to crank the Q5 lights up to higher levels than the R2s to see objects "as well"). It is also easier to tell what colors things are with the R2s. I am not a cop, but that seems like that could be important in your line of work... :)

From what I've read, the Q3 is just a lot more of that, which may or may not make up for the 30% drop in lumens (depending on who you ask).

I definitely prefer the R2 tint to the Q5, and won't buy any more Q5s (if you're already spending $80 on a light, does another $5 really matter?). I have not yet been able to convince myself that the color difference of the Q3 will make up for the 30% loss in lumens (I'm sure others will chime in here... :) ).

Not to muddy the waters further, but if you don't mind the extra $30, the Jetbeam RRT-2 seems to be getting some good reviews.