Lights for military, and SAR person's

Fonly

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

As im sure you can tell, Im new. I've been kicking around a few forums across the net now for a few years, bladeforums, Britishblades places like that. I have had more intrest in knives, more than other things. But in the last year or so, I have gotten into lights, But I haven't really followed what companies have been coming out with what and so on.

What I was hoping to find out is whether someone can point me in the right direction, this is all very confusing when I move around the various posts, and there are so many lights out now that Its alot to catch up on.

Anyways, I'm currently with the Cdn Forces, and civi SAR groups. I have been using a Few different lights from Inova, Fenix, Priencten Tec, and maglite for primary search lights, map reading things of tha nature.

The TK10 that I use has been a priamry search light for a few months now, and has worked very well, BUT, I have been looking for something with a little more kick, something in the 5-600 lumen range.

Now, for what its worth, here are my limits, and requirements for what ever lights you guys might recommend:

Price: Anything below $250

Specs: Something not overly huge, but I certainly understand I would be looking at something 2-3 times the size of my TK10. I work alot in cold weather, and its got to work in up to -50*C. Something that can be fed fairly common batt's, Cr123's would be nice. But 18650's or what ever they need to be will do. Water proof, reliable and of course, bright.:D

I've been looking at lights like the Olight M30 triton, JetBeam M1x and Fenix TK40. But im not sure if these lights are right, the M1X stands out the most, but I like the size of the M30.

Anyways guys, I thank you very much for any help you can give, I've been lurking around here for a while now, but it would be nice to have some spcific ansures to my questions.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SF M4 or M6...you can grab one off the marketplace for "around that"...but the no-hassle lifetime warranty will pay off in the end. SF "underrates" there lumens, so a 200 lumen SF is around 250-300 lumens by other mfg's standards. And there TIR optic lights can out throw most competitors with twice the lumen ratings...an LX2 or E2DL may work well for you...especially with the high/low settings on each light? I'm currently AD Military and have been wanting to get into SAR myself, and I KNOW an SF would definitely be my light/lights of choice...Oh, and :welcome:

R@ndom

Enlightened
SF is a great option. But if I were you I would get the new 47's mce light due in a month. Then with the 150 dollars I've saved and some extra from selling my kidney I can get a M3LT!

EKL

Newly Enlightened
A EagleTac M2XC4 or M2C4 are viable options and comparable to the TK40. Both takes 2 X 18650s.

NE450No2

Enlightened
Take a look at Sure Fire.

The M6 is a great light.

Their Weapon Lights are great as well.

I have never had one fail.

Fonly

Newly Enlightened
The SF M4 or M6...you can grab one off the marketplace for "around that"...but the no-hassle lifetime warranty will pay off in the end. SF "underrates" there lumens, so a 200 lumen SF is around 250-300 lumens by other mfg's standards. And there TIR optic lights can out throw most competitors with twice the lumen ratings...an LX2 or E2DL may work well for you...especially with the high/low settings on each light? I'm currently AD Military and have been wanting to get into SAR myself, and I KNOW an SF would definitely be my light/lights of choice...Oh, and :welcome:

You mention the LX2, and E2DL. I have seen some of the threads about those lights, and am torn between them. What I planned on doing was buying the E2DL, then get one of these search lights. But with all the talk about the LX2, Im not sure if the E2DL is the one I should go for.

Is that jump in $50 really worth it to get a few extra lumens? While I intend on spending $400 bucks on lights, If I can save $50 and get a light that is a few lumens less bright, It's worth it to me.

The carry differences are not a problem to me as I wear a holster for the light anyways, or its tuck in a pocket. One thing though, its would be nice to use the LX2 or E2DL for my Civi work, which I do a night security programme with my sub-divison and also Street out Reach with a local youth Emergency shelter, that takes me to some interesting places, and VERY hot headed people, and while I dont like the thought of using force while not on duty, I would like something that can aid me in those travel's.

Also, thanks for the warm welcome guys.:thumbsup:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
...for primary search lights, map reading things of tha nature.

The TK10 that I use has been a priamry search light for a few months now, and has worked very well, BUT, I have been looking for something with a little more kick, something in the 5-600 lumen range.

The easiest and cheapest LED option for hitting 500 lumens is a quad emitter (P7 or MC-E), but they are not effective at projecting light into the distance (aka throw). Your better throw options will be either high powered incans or clusters of individual LEDs.

If you want to do search/spot and map reading in the same light, you'll also want something multi level.

Toaster

Enlightened
sfm3lt1.jpg

sfm3lt2.png

Surefire M3LT. Latest word is possible availability in December. Price will certainly be over $250. But if you want huge throw, output, and reliability in one package this will be hard to beat.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its funny how no one mentions Jetbeam's M1X, it is DESIGNED for search and rescue!

Extremely well built for its price, supports a wide range of different battery formats. Great reliable UI and is one of the best throwing MC-E light out there in the market.

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
Surefire M3LT. Latest word is possible availability in December. Price will certainly be over $250. But if you want huge throw, output, and reliability in one package this will be hard to beat.
Hmm.. I wonder if it can use 2x17500 (or if fits 2x18500) like how some 3xCR123 Surefire lights or the Streamlight TL-3 can use 2x17500

Its funny how no one mentions Jetbeam's M1X, it is DESIGNED for search and rescue!

Extremely well built for its price, supports a wide range of different battery formats. Great reliable UI and is one of the best throwing MC-E light out there in the market.
I've been looking at lights like the Olight M30 triton, JetBeam M1x and Fenix TK40. But im not sure if these lights are right, the M1X stands out the most, but I like the size of the M30.

You mention the LX2, and E2DL. I have seen some of the threads about those lights, and am torn between them. What I planned on doing was buying the E2DL, then get one of these search lights. But with all the talk about the LX2, Im not sure if the E2DL is the one I should go for.

Is that jump in $50 really worth it to get a few extra lumens? While I intend on spending $400 bucks on lights, If I can save $50 and get a light that is a few lumens less bright, It's worth it to me.
Is the Fenix TK10 (in your picture posrted here) not adequate ?

Last edited:

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Flashfirstask?later, I meant how no other mentions M1X.

I have iTP C6T, its performance is relatively similar the TK10, and I can't see the TK10 being adequate in serious SAR operations.

Besides, TK-10 itself is obsolete, TK-12 replaced it.

Fonly

Newly Enlightened
Is the Fenix TK10 (in your picture posrted here) not adequate ?

I presume you mean In an EDC format, in which case yes. But, new lights are nice am I right?:eek:

I you mean't that in the sense for SAR, than no, not really. It works ok, and sometimes its just nice to have a large out put for sure.

Are there any other SAR, LEO, Military on here that have looked into any of these lights for work? One that stuck out more than the others?

Thanks guys.

MSI

Enlightened
Hi,
I'm a volunteer SAR and my current setup is Dereelight DBS singlemode R2 as primary light and SF E2L (latest version) as backup.
I'm definitely going to get the SF M3LT. Have also been thinking about a Legion II.

Fonly

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I'm a volunteer SAR and my current setup is Dereelight DBS singlemode R2 as primary light and SF E2L (latest version) as backup.
I'm definitely going to get the SF M3LT. Have also been thinking about a Legion II.

I like that E2L, I wonder if there 60 lumens on that new one is a real 60 lumens, or if its actually brighter.

Wow, this site is going to cost me alot, isn't it?lovecpf

jankj

Enlightened
The easiest and cheapest LED option for hitting 500 lumens is a quad emitter (P7 or MC-E), but they are not effective at projecting light into the distance (aka throw). Your better throw options will be either high powered incans or clusters of individual LEDs.

Three letters: H I D. When it comes to putting out enourmous amount of lights that can be projected into a tiny beam, HID it is... Check out the searchlight / HID section of this forum.

But they are expensive, particular the good ones. I would not recommend the $70 Stanley HID found at walmart / amazon for anything but hobbies...

MSI

Enlightened
I like that E2L, I wonder if there 60 lumens on that new one is a real 60 lumens, or if its actually brighter.

Mine (and others) are the same brightness as the E1B and that has been measured to over 80 lumens, so it is more like 80 than 60. I have chosen the E2L as backup because the very good balance between runtime, output and size/weight. With 6 hours runtime I don't have to worry about the batteries running out even if I have to use the backup light for the hole mission.

Wow, this site is going to cost me alot, isn't it?lovecpf

Oh, yeah! Keep on to your wallet :) But make sure you spend your dollars only on the top notch lights for mission critical applications.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
+100 on what he said!

MSI

Enlightened
Three letters: H I D. When it comes to putting out enourmous amount of lights that can be projected into a tiny beam, HID it is... Check out the searchlight / HID section of this forum.

But they are expensive, particular the good ones. I would not recommend the $70 Stanley HID found at walmart / amazon for anything but hobbies...

HID lights are impressive (I have a few), so are the MaxaBeam, but most of the time they stay at home simply because they are too heavy and offer too little runtime. If you are doing mountain rescue at foot in the mountains you want to reduce the weight of your lights (and all other equipment) to a minimum while having at least enough power for 6 to 12 hours (depending on time of year). The lights are only a small part of the equipment you need to bring with you, so you cannot go the flashoholic route of biggest and baddest. You will have to be very cautious about what to pack and what things weighs, or else you will overload yourself and not be able to perform your job properly. In SAR time is crucial so a light pack make you reach the patient faster and may save lives.