Jetbeam Raptor RRT-1 Question

Roberts30

Enlightened
Howdy All, I have a quick question... I was wondering how far this light will actually throw a visable beam. This will possibly be my first "high-dollar" light. Is there anything else I need to be concerned about?
Thanks alot! :)

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah definitely!

It is a very well built little thing!

I love it!

The only negative is the ringy beam, but that doesn't bother me.

elwood

Newly Enlightened
Howdy All, I have a quick question... I was wondering how far this light will actually throw a visable beam. This will possibly be my first "high-dollar" light. Is there anything else I need to be concerned about?
Thanks alot! :)

I did a lot of research before buying my RRT-1. From everything I've seen, the RRT-1 is the second to best thrower in it's price range. The Tiablo A10 puts out a tiny bit more lux than the RRT-1 but to the naked eye you can tell no difference between the two.

The RRT-1 is definitely a better quality light.

Mine came in yesterday and I've only had tonight to test it at work in pretty well lit areas. I am really impressed with the throw and so were all my co-workers.

EDIT: I think the only way to get more throw in this price range would be to get something with an aspherical lens like the Tiablo A9. Lights with aspherical lenses are just not my thing. You lose all spill and the lenses, supposedly, scratch easy.

As for the heat, I have no idea. I haven't left mine on long enough to heat up. I would think that it wouldn't heat up much more than any other LED light of this size.

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Enlightened
This light is on my want list but I am very wary of the 500 yard throw claim:rolleyes:

I have the Tiablo A9 with collimator head and this does not get anywhere near 400 yards. I would say the useful light reaches to ~ 300 yards. This is measured with a laser rangefinder.

If the RRT-1 throws a useful light to 300 yards without an aspherical head, I would be happy and buy one. If as I doubt it can, throw further with useful light (light up a man size target for recognition purposes) then that would be a bonus.:cool:

The matter of throw really bugs me and of the claims from manufacturers. I have yet to see a light that measures up to the claims but as always would love to be proved wrong.:)

Steve.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the term "useful light" itself is subjective. They manufacturer can literally say whatever they want.
This light is on my want list but I am very wary of the 500 yard throw claim:rolleyes:

I have the Tiablo A9 with collimator head and this does not get anywhere near 400 yards. I would say the useful light reaches to ~ 300 yards. This is measured with a laser rangefinder.

If the RRT-1 throws a useful light to 300 yards without an aspherical head, I would be happy and buy one. If as I doubt it can, throw further with useful light (light up a man size target for recognition purposes) then that would be a bonus.:cool:

The matter of throw really bugs me and of the claims from manufacturers. I have yet to see a light that measures up to the claims but as always would love to be proved wrong.:)

Steve.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I did a lot of research before buying my RRT-1. From everything I've seen, the RRT-1 is the second to best thrower in it's price range. The Tiablo A10 puts out a tiny bit more lux than the RRT-1 but to the naked eye you can tell no difference between the two.

I agree that the RRT-1 is a very good thrower and I have a lots of beamshot to back me up. To really get anything better you need an aspherical (With a very limited beam) or a HID.

elwood

Newly Enlightened
I agree that the RRT-1 is a very good thrower and I have a lots of beamshot to back me up. To really get anything better you need an aspherical (With a very limited beam) or a HID.

Your beamshots, along with a few others, is what convinced me to get my RRT-1! I have to say that it is one impressive flashlight!

Thanks for your beamshots, HKJ! :twothumbs

gilly

Enlightened
A Solarforce L2 is a general purpose light. The RRT-1 is a THROWER with a much larger (wider and deeper) reflector - the throw of the L2 would be nowhere near the Raptor's... As far as build quality, the Jetbeam leaves the Solarforce in the dust. The general rule "you get what you pay for" is usually pretty true with lights...

Get the Raptor - you'll love it. I have the RRT-2 and it is wonderful.

Have fun!

Last edited:

Roberts30

Enlightened
A Solarforce L2 is a general purpose light. The RRT-1 is a THROWER with a much larger (wider and deeper) reflector - the throw of the L2 would be nowhere near the Raptor's... As far as build quality, the Jetbeam leaves the Solarforce in the dust. The general rule "you get what you pay for" is usually pretty true with lights...

Get the Raptor - you'll love it. I have the RRT-2 and it is wonderful.

Have fun!
AWESOME! I am a somewhat newbie when it comes to flashlights, and absolute love my L2.. (it was my first powerful light) Another question, Doe the Raptor have much useful spill?
Again, Thanks alot lovecpf

Tora

Newly Enlightened
I have the Raptor - 1, have had it for many months - I use it at work. I love the throw. I did some beam tests early on. I had a very visible beam pattern at 2/10 of a mile. It is the best at what it does in its class. I only use the high beam so I used sports tape around the control ring to lock it into place. I slip it into a holder on my duty belt. Well made and really shines.:twothumbs

AbleArcher

Newly Enlightened
You've never heard of it but we have lots of cows
AWESOME! I am a somewhat newbie when it comes to flashlights, and absolute love my L2.. (it was my first powerful light) Another question, Doe the Raptor have much useful spill?

The Raptor (mine at least) has some spill but it suffers quite badly from the 'Saturn's rings' effect so it's probably not something you're going to want to walk the dog with ;)

As for range, I tried mine while walking through some fields the other night, it was more or less pitch black and I got a maximum throw of around 300 yards out of it.

elwood

Newly Enlightened
The Raptor (mine at least) has some spill but it suffers quite badly from the 'Saturn's rings' effect so it's probably not something you're going to want to walk the dog with ;)

As for range, I tried mine while walking through some fields the other night, it was more or less pitch black and I got a maximum throw of around 300 yards out of it.

Did you try focusing the beam by turning the head to get more distance?

Last edited: