Old Mag 2C

I've got an older Mag 2C #20991552, and I was looking at Malkoff's P7 drop-in, but it says that the serial number needs to start with "C" for it to fit properly. What is the difference, would boring it fix the problem or is it more complicated? I don't have a new Mag C to compare it with.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
At a minimum, the old style C Mag has an ID at the top of the body tube of about 28mm, vs about 26.2mm for the "C" serial numbered C Mag. I don't own a Malkoff C Mag drop-in, so I can't tell you if you can use some conductive copper tape or other material to fill the gap. You definitely can do that if you "roll your own" C Mag mod by buying a C Mag heat sink, bare LED, driver, etc.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both of the Mag's you are talking about.

The heads are not interchangeable, well they do screw in but not perfectly all the way down.

The old Mag is IMR C compatible, but the new "C" numbered Mag is not.

I do have a Malkoff Tripple drop-in and it fits perfectly in both type of C Mag's and you should be able to use IMR C cells too.:thumbsup:

Doing a 2C Mag with a Malkoff P7 drop-in was something I have been wanting for a while, but the D size heat sink makes me want that instead. The size, form, fit factor of a 2C is 2nd to none IMHO.

Here is my 2C Mag made by Nailbender. Mr. Nailbender bored the Mag (becasue it was a "C" series serial numbered) to fit IMR C cells. It runs off 2 IMR C cells. Please note that in real out the front testing done by an IS Sphere calibrated by MrGman I get around 100 less lumens with C size heat sink vs. the D size heat sink at the same 2.8A at the LED.
P8260069.jpg

BigC

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that the 2C size is very nice. An LED 2C Mag mod turns the light into a sort of Mag version of the SureFire 12PM/ZM. They are very similar in size.
SureFire12ZMvs2CMaglite.jpg

My 2C Mag mod is based on a BBNG1000 driving a Seoul P4 U2-bin LED. However, if you can fit IMR26500 cells in the old version C Mag, then I would consider using an SOB1000 to drive the P4. The P4 focuses very nicely using the stock Mag reflector, so you can save money by not buying a new reflector. You'll get very good throw with the large Mag head and smooth reflector. I would get a Borofloat glass window though.

Using 2xIMR26500, you should get a tail current draw of about 0.5A, giving you a calculated run time of around 4-5 hrs.

If you are willing to spend some extra money, you can use a Seoul P7 DxxxI-bin LED instead of the P4, still driving the LED with the SOB1000. You'll get possibly 100 lumens more out the front vs the P4, as well as about 10% lower power draw (and thus longer run time and even less heat generation). The downside is that the P7 won't have the throw of the P4. If you want more output from the P7, then you can substitute a high-powered driver for the SOB1000, such as the Shark Buck 2A or 3A.

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that the 2C size is very nice.

The size, form, fit factor of a 2C is 2nd to none IMHO.

Agreed... for my next M@g-mod, I'd like to build something that incorporates a 2 stage tailcap/switch & a warm LED emitter (or three) :thumbsup:

On Topic -> didn't one of the Mag' heatsink suppliers offer some kind of adapter ring for the larger I/D non-C prefix C maglites at some time? wouldn't that work with a Malkoff drop in too? :thinking:

Last edited:

Al Combs

Enlightened
On Topic -> didn't one of the Mag' heatsink suppliers offer some kind of adapter ring for the larger I/D non-C prefix C maglites at some time? wouldn't that work with a Malkoff drop in too? :thinking:
The Hotlips-C used to come with a sleeve. It's an old thread but according to page 17, it's still active. For the Hotlips sleeve to work with a Malkoff dropin, you'd have to cut a segment out of it the size of the Malkoff wedge. Then of course you have the actual Hotlips heat sink left over you don't really need.

In a similar line of thought, a piece of 1" M-type thin wall copper tubing has an OD of 1.125" and an ID of 1.055". It's a little to large, but the wall thickness is close to perfect. The new style C is 26.2 mm ID + 1.778 mm = 27.978 mm. You still have to cut out a segment for the Malkoff wedge to move. Just cut a little extra while you're at it.