Maglite 3W LED in 6D?

U

user1016

Hi guys,

Tried searching but didn't find any info on this.

I have a spare Maglite 3-watt LED, it states it's for the 2-4D, but I'm curious, what would happen if I put it in my 6D/5D? Is it possible with home tools to make it accept the bulb and work well or will it all just blow up?

Thanks!

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED module will fit, but it might go out in a blaze with 3 volts more than it is designed for. If you just put in 4 D cells and 2 dummies, you would have a very long 4 D light.

In the Incan version of the D lights, the bulb sizes are all the same, just the voltage rating is different.

Dark Laser

Newly Enlightened
Well...if you could put 2x3 batteries in parallel, you'd get twice the runtime of a 3D - but for the connections, I guess, there is not enough space (without modifications). But maybe you should give it a try ;)

U

user1016

Well...if you could put 2x3 batteries in parallel, you'd get twice the runtime of a 3D - but for the connections, I guess, there is not enough space (without modifications). But maybe you should give it a try ;)

I would, but:

1: I don't want to loose a perfectly good LED bulb (they may be easily replaced in the USA, but they're expensive here! ($60).

2: I don't want the torch shorting out and blowing up or something stupid.

If it doesn't work, :hitit:

Databyter

Enlightened
With our current leaders we are fast heading in the direction where everything will be taxed and double taxed and hidden taxed.

Vote em all out in 2010, 2012.

U

user1016

Just curious, but where are you from?:whistle:

Australia.

Your average Maglite 3D is about $60 here. LED version $80.

OR:

If you keep your eye out SOMETIMES you flunk them at Big W or Coles for $40 or $50!

U

user1016

I'd suggest getting another light instead of another mag where you are. They will be cheaper, brighter, smaller, and still run longer.

As for the drop-in, don't burn it out with more volts then it's supposed to take. Check here for Maglite mods and drop-ins.

There isn't really much except for your "Energizer" and "Dolphin" torches. I'm not fond of $10 incandescent flashlights, but even then, there's nothing else here. Maglite is like the only alternate light here. *Some* tactical stores or gun stores sell Surefire and all sorts of other brands but once again, looking at $400 a light.