New to flashlights, one on the way.

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I'm new to flashlights but I'm a seasoned watch collector and I feel that the two hobbies have a bit in common (along with firearms and knives). Since I'm a guy who enjoys workmanship and gadgetry I figured I'd give a cool flashlight a try.

I'm still trying to absorb all the terminology but that does take some time. But as my first flashlight I chose the Fenix TK10 for a few reasons. First off, I didn't want a light with tons of "modes" to pick between, because I know I'd constantly be going between modes so having only 2 works for me. 2nd- It has a high lumen output in it's turbo mode 3rd- It's pretty compact in size, making it easy to pack along in my night time ATV rides 4th- The tactical styling just looks cool IMO :grin2: 5th- Forward clicker on the tail cap 6th- Fenix seems to be a good priced and well respected brand.

I'm pretty excited to receive my light but I'm wondering what kind of things affect beam quality and "throw". I've seen some threads mentioning that a smooth reflector is better for throw (brighter hot spot) with a dimmer "spill". But the "orange peel" reflectors present a higher quality beam with less throw (dimmer hot spot, brighter spill and less contrast between the two). Is this correct or are there more variables that I'm not considering? Also what causes the dark area right outside of the hot spot (before the "spill area")

Anyway, this looks like a fun place where I can learn a lot! :hitit:

NWdude83

Newly Enlightened
Good choice for your first light. The force is strong with this one.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

and seeing as you collect watches, collecting flashlights shouldnt hurt that much :D

+1 on the TK10, its a good light. If you're spending a lot of time outdoors, i'd also recommend a TK20, its warm tint is better outdoors in my opinion. You can see the difference between a 'white' LED and a 'warm white' LED in my amateurish post here

edit: there's also a great thread on various beamshots of different lights here, you can see the beamshots for the TK20 there too.

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
Haha, I'm used to forum members being enablers. As a watch collector I've been through about 200 watches ranging from a G-Shocks (which I bet may be popular around here) to Rolex. I currently only own 2 watches, a Rolex 36mm perpetual and an Omega Seamaster (electric blue) mid size automatic.

Anyway... lol

From the shots I've seen, it looks like the TK-10 is more of a "flooder" than a "thrower"? Mainly because the hot spot isn't all that much brighter than the flood as far as I can see.

So, if that is the case, I'll need a "thrower" next but perhaps in an AA or 2xAA format. While I like to diversify in brands, it looks like the Tk11-R2 (smooth reflector isn't it?) would be more of a thrower but it's so much like the TK-10. Any recommendations in the 50-75 range for a good thrower (AAA, AA, 2xAA perhaps) :wave:

tango44

Enlightened
You made a wise choice, Fenix TK10 in one of the best lights in the market IMHO.
Congrats and enjoy the light!

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Tango, it is a very nice light however a cool beam but a good mix between throw and flood.

rhotondm

Newly Enlightened
Fenix was my first light as well. I absolutely love Fenix lights. They have been very dependable in the road. I have dropped them in the street multiple times and they have been ran over by cars and they are still going strong. I would say they are more known for flood style light but they also have a good amount of throw. You won't be disapointed with Fenix.