Looking for flashlight, help

jw2n

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a very specific flashlight to fulfill my needs. I have looked at a 100 different lights, and have found some that come close. Perhaps the collective knowledge and experience of the members here can help me. My criteria are:

1) Small in size, this will be an EDC, so size matters.

2) Must take disposables. 123 preferred. AA second best. Nothing crazy like the 8 cell TK40 thou.

3) Must be spot, 10-30 is O.K.

4) Whether LED, Incan, or HID, true color rendition is important. Incan preferred.

5) Reasonable runtime. Not eight minutes, as some recommendations were. The light will be used as a secondary to a headlamp.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Maybe the Pelican M6 Xenon 2xCR123A light would fit your needs. I don't own one, but I did get to test one once and it was very bright and powerful with a tight, throw-type beam/hotspot. It was definitely not as powerful as some of the high-output LED flashlights that I own, but it will give perfect rendition since it is incandescent and is quite powerful for its size.

Also consider the SureFire 6P Original, which is a 2xCR123A incandescent light. I own the LED version of it, and its quality and performance is amazing. From what I have read it should have a longer bulb life than the Pelican M6, and it is the one light I can strongly recommend.

Hope these suggestions are helpful. :)

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for a very specific flashlight to fulfill my needs. I have looked at a 100 different lights, and have found some that come close. Perhaps the collective knowledge and experience of the members here can help me. My criteria are:

2) Must take disposables. 123 preferred. AA second best. Nothing crazy like the 8 cell TK40 thou.

4) Whether LED, Incan, or HID, true color rendition is important. Incan preferred.

5) Reasonable runtime. Not eight minutes, as some recommendations were. The light will be used as a secondary to a headlamp.
SureFire E2E Executive Elite + MN02 Lamp assembly (1.25 hours with the MN03, 2.5 hours with the MN02). This is the smallest and the highest quality 2xCR123 incandescent light on the market, hands down. If you want something even smaler, then I can't think of anything better than the E1E, the E2E's little 1xCR123 brother. These are all fantastic little lights, no wonder they are so popular... Check the "SureFire E-Series Addicts Unite" thread -->> https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/234418

Cheers!

Last edited:

jw2n

Newly Enlightened
I own most of the SF 6v line. My next attempt at what I am looking for is to KT1-HA my M2. I have yet to try the E2, and have been keeping my eye out for deal. I have never owned, or used a 9v, and others have suggested that this would be the way to go, as there is a massive increase in power over a two cell without adding much bulk. I have a 12zm, but the run time is terrible, and it is a little large. I am running the lower lumen element (125?) in the 12.

NE450No2

Enlightened
SureFire E2E Executive Elite + MN02 Lamp assembly (1.25 hours with the MN03, 2.5 hours with the MN02). This is the smallest and the highest quality 2xCR123 incandescent light on the market, hands down. If you want something even smaler, then I can't think of anything better than the E1E, the E2E's little 1xCR123 brother. These are all fantastic little lights, no wonder they are so popular... Check the "SureFire E-Series Addicts Unite" thread -->> https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/234418

Cheers!

I agree with the Outdoors Fanatic.
I use the E1e as my EDC.

I would also consider the A2 Aviator, white LED's.
The regulated 50 Lumen Incandescent lamp is very good, but with the Lumens Factory HO A2 I like it even better.

It is also my EDC when I leave the house I carry both of them.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the Outdoors Fanatic.
I use the E1e as my EDC.

I would also consider the A2 Aviator, white LED's.
The regulated 50 Lumen Incandescent lamp is very good, but with the Lumens Factory HO A2 I like it even better.

It is also my EDC when I leave the house I carry both of them.
The stock A2 was tested at 70 lumens in an Integrating Sphere, with the HO-A2 is at least 100... Very nice upgrade!

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi there,

may i suggest a warm tinted LED, the new Romisen RC N3 warm white from shiningbeam runs on 2xAA or 1xCR123/RCR123. Runtime on RCR123 (on mine) was 40+ minutes before the protection circuit cut in. I'd 'guesstimate' at last 2-3 hours on 2xAA eneloops before output starts diminishing. I have some amateur beamshots here if you're interested. I do like the warm tint especially when outdoors.

You may also wish to consider the Fenix TK20, runs off 2xAAs with 2 modes. You can see some realworld beamshots of the TK20 here

There's a warm tint LED drop in from DX and I've ordered it but its out of stock for now so i can't render any opinion or impression on that one.

Better colour rendition would of course be from incands but there would be the usual concerns with bulbs breaking, burning out etc and lower runtimes. All the recommendations for surefire's E1E, E2E, A2 etc are great recommendations but i have little experience with them as they are very expensive here and SF doesnt ship to Singapore so, though i wish i had these lights, i dont :(

Good luck with your search.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own most of the SF 6v line. My next attempt at what I am looking for is to KT1-HA my M2. I have yet to try the E2, and have been keeping my eye out for deal. I have never owned, or used a 9v, and others have suggested that this would be the way to go, as there is a massive increase in power over a two cell without adding much bulk. I have a 12zm, but the run time is terrible, and it is a little large. I am running the lower lumen element (125?) in the 12.
You can use 9v lamp assemblies in an E2e, just get 2x16340 IMR batteries and run the IMR-E2 for insane output.