Flashlight for Urbex photography

neninja

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks

I have been reading the site for a while to research a future purchase but this is my first post so go easy on me.

I'm after a torch for Urbex photography to light paint poorly lit or totally dark rooms and the exterior of buildings. I'm thinking a light with plenty of flood would be ideal. The torch will be carried in a back pack or holster so doesn't have to be the smallest around but nothing too heavy - budget is a max $100-120 (around £80 in UK money). It good to get something with enough size to use for personal defence too as you do get a few strange folk in abandoned buildings.

My own personal short list from reading comments on here is based around the MC-E led -
Olight M30 Triton
Solarforce Masterpiece
Tiablo ACE-G

Any suggestions or recommendations?

I'm also after a decent EDC to use primarily whilst moving around Urbex locations that will show up features of interest and also possible hazards. I'm thinking along the lines of the new Fenix PD30 R2

Don't know if this helps but my current torches below. Nothing that great -
1 x 2AA Maglite incan
1 x 2AA Maglite with Terralux TLE5EX upgrade
1 x Alpkit Gamma headlight
1 x Tesco 2AA led torch (a local Supermarket own brand like Walmart)
1 x old Petzl incan headlight
1 x Romisen RC-F4 Q2
1 x Romisen RC-G2 P3

vtunderground

Enlightened
You've got the right idea by looking at lights with a quad-die emitter. Unfortunately I have zero experience with any of the lights you mentioned... I use a (comparatively out-of-date) Surefire L4 with the Luxeon V for UE light painting. It works well.

jonesy

Enlightened
How about a Malkoff M60WF P60 drop in, with a Malkoff or Surefire body? that should easily come in under $100.

You will hear nothing but good things about Malkoff here, they have a stellar reputation. If you get the Malkoff body you can have two light levels too.

neninja

Newly Enlightened
Thanks

Are the parts for the Malkoff available to buy to ship to the UK? I'm totally new to self build flashlights so have no idea where to start. Something requiring no soldering would be good - my soldering is shockingly bad

I was thinking more of readily available branded flashlights.