Am I even in the same ballpark? (considering a Surefire LX2 or a Jetbeam M1X)

funkymonkey1111

Enlightened
My main light now (for dog walks) is a G2 with a BugOutGear insert. I have been thinking of adding something a little brighter for walks in the state park during the winter. I have a couple of G2s for the cars, and prefer the CR123 setup. What I have now seems to work just fine, but if I can see coyotes (or whatever) that much further out, that would seem better. Path illumination is done with a headlamp, and the handheld is for sweeps of off-path areas.

Up until this morning, I had been focusing on a Surefire LX2 lumamax, but today came across the jetbeam M1X.

Are these lights even comparable? I understand the LX2 may have a more usable beam and the M1X is more of a thrower, but moderate long-range, lightweight illumination is the goal.

I don't have any prejudices here about lights, interfaces, etc.--just want useful, reliable, maximum performance at the expense of a "barely ready" for marketplace light.

the light will also be used on camping trips, etc (again, with headlamps providing around-camp light).

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let the Marketplace decide for you! Go for the best deal. I'm sure you will be happy with either one.

Welcome to CPF BTW

pulstar

Enlightened
My main light now (for dog walks) is a G2 with a BugOutGear insert. I have been thinking of adding something a little brighter for walks in the state park during the winter. I have a couple of G2s for the cars, and prefer the CR123 setup. What I have now seems to work just fine, but if I can see coyotes (or whatever) that much further out, that would seem better. Path illumination is done with a headlamp, and the handheld is for sweeps of off-path areas.

Up until this morning, I had been focusing on a Surefire LX2 lumamax, but today came across the jetbeam M1X.

Are these lights even comparable? I understand the LX2 may have a more usable beam and the M1X is more of a thrower, but moderate long-range, lightweight illumination is the goal.

I don't have any prejudices here about lights, interfaces, etc.--just want useful, reliable, maximum performance at the expense of a "barely ready" for marketplace light.

the light will also be used on camping trips, etc (again, with headlamps providing around-camp light).

I would recommend LX2 even though i don't own Jetbeam. LX2 is quite smaller, great for spotting things in a 100-150m range (around 300-450 feet) and with AWESOME user interface: simple momentary push on the switch gives you low level, push a little more and you're on high. It would be great for you because you'd be able to quickly check a strange sound coming a few yards away... Runnning with primaries, lx2 gives you 2 hours runtime on high. Even though SF recommends only primary batteries there are rcr options too. For example Lifepo AW RCR123 3.0v, but you'll get only around 45min on high until light goes into low mode.. You could also use AW rcr123 li-ion batteries, however, they are rated 3.7 volts, but some users use them quite long without problems. I tried them too in my lx2, brightness remained the same, so i guess it should be safe to use them(but just for caution, don't run it in high mode for too long) Even more, lx2's low level is almost perfect for all around tasks, and great for walking around at night. I've never imagined how useful can only 15 lumens be! It's really a great light that replaced my nitecore extreme R2, rated 220lumens (oh yeah, have i already mentioned? lx2 seems brigther than nitecore (ceiling bounce test):hitit:) Lx2 is quite a thrower. but not so "pure-blooded" like M1X. I guess it should be more versatile, and useful than JB. It's superby built, but Jetbeams don't falling behing too much. It costs more, but considering that 's made in the USA , with quality finnish and very nice warranty it justifies it's higher price. But like always the last decision lies on you:D Hope i helped you a bit...

Last edited:

Disco-Dave

Newly Enlightened
Ive got a Dereelight DBS v3 thats quite a thrower i love it also got the cree mce pill & op reflector on the whay which mite be perfect for your needs although it will be purchasing the Jetbeam m1x next month Along with the tiablo ace g ;)

Nice runtimes on the tiablo with the extended tube now also

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both, and they've both become some of my favorites.

No, they're nothing alike. But they would both work for your purposes. The LX2 might be best described as a flood light that throws - the spot is as wide as you could hope for, but goes out almost as far as the throwers - probably just a little further than your BOG dropin. This comes at the expense of spill intensity, which I don't miss, and you will miss even less with a headlamp.

The M1X is far brighter, and throws MUCH further. The spot is quite wide (although not as wide as the LX2's) and goes out about as far as, eg, a DBS's tiny spot. However, don't get this if you are bothered by donut holes. It is there, and yes, you will notice it. Although I don't know if I would equate the JETBeam's build quality to Surefire, it is certainly impressive. Lastly, I find the forward clicky more convenient for everyday use than a tactical interface.

As I'm sure you've seen, the M1X is simply not pocketable, while the LX2 is easy to carry. During actual use I don't mind the difference, but if you plan to carry it around a lot this is something to consider.

BTW, if you are willing to carry something as big as the M1X you have a lot of options that throw much better than your dropin or the LX2 (but not as far as the JB) AND have a wide spot and bright spill. For example, the EagleTac M2C4. Or, if you're willing to pay a premium for quality that in my personal experience equals Surefire's, the Barbolight T15 or Malkoff M3 / M4. I'd say surpasses if everybody promised not to shoot me :aaa:

But why did I even bother writing all this? Buy both :D

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
hello, im using a nitecore extreme but have been looking at other options, the jetbeam rrt-1 looks like a great light, simple UI and will spot things as far as the eye can see. much smaller than a M1x but useable like an LX2.
worth a look.

OfficerCamp

Enlightened
You need to ask yourself one question; do you want a light you can stick in your pocket (which is what I think you want to do), or do you want to carry a large diameter, long bodied light either in your hand or in some type of holster? I own many lights with the LX2 form factor (not including the LX2), and also an M1X. There is NO way you are going to be comfortable EDCing the M1X unless your last name is O'Neil and you play for the Miami Heat. Mine is strictly a duty light, and I find that even on my belt with my other gear, it still feels pretty large. The LX2 will be plenty of light for most purposes, and will make for a very compact, attractive and robust light. Both are excellent lights, definately at the top of their class, size and purpose will be your main consideration. (Go with the Surefire, save the bigger lights for when you NEED one :grin2:)

pulstar

Enlightened
I was in the same "conflict of interests", because SF's always seemed a bit too pricey for me. But always when i bought some other light, soon a wish about gettin' a SF appeared. But i needed to make a few (lousy) purchases before taking a step in SF world. Now i'm sorry about all that money i could save just by choosing a LX2 or maybe some other SF at start. ..But, i did get some new knowledge about different brands, get some nice flashlights....but too be honest, LX2 seems to be the best light i've ever owned till now

funkymonkey1111

Enlightened
ordered the LX2 today, finally.

has anyone done a comparison between the LX2 and the jetbeam RRT-2? they look like comparable lights, roughly the same size.

brianch

Enlightened
ordered the LX2 today, finally.

has anyone done a comparison between the LX2 and the jetbeam RRT-2? they look like comparable lights, roughly the same size.
I would estimate that the RRT-2 is slightly brighter. I can do a comparison of the E2D and Jet-IIIM if you'd like. They are similar to the LX2 vs RRT-2. Of course I have to wait for them to arrive first.. -__-

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RRT-2 isn't brighter, it has a more throw orientated beam however.

My beamshots have both the RRT-1 and LX2 (among many other lights), that will give you a basic idea. The RRT-1 will have more throw and a smaller hotspot than the RRT-2. The Jet-III M in my beamshots may be more accurate to compare.

Last edited: