what kind of foam do you use

3D black mag

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the materials section but I have a big case 15'' by 18'' by 3''. And I was going to fill it with foam to hold some of my lights. But I don't know what kind of foam to use or where to get it. I was thinking about Polyethylene foam but I figuered I'd ask you guys. So what kind of foam do you use for light cases?

3D black mag

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a couple sheets from The Foam Factory for not too much money. I was redoing the case I keep my telescope accessories in. I used the firm charcoal foam because I wanted to do custom cutouts and pack everything as closely as possible to fit more items in the case. The regular charcoal foam is the stuff you find in most cases. They also have the pick-n-pluck version of the regular firmness. I bought a half sheet of the 1/2" and 1-1/2" so I could redo my cases a couple times if needed. I've just berely started nibbling at the edge of the sheet. I use the 1/2" as the base/cushioning between layers. Then I do the actual cutouts in the 1-1/2" to hold items.

To cut the foam, I also bought a crafter's hot knife from Hotwire Foam Factory. It was a little disappointing because it was a little too flexible and was too slow since it didn't heat up enough. If I were to do it again, I would spend the extra money on the pro scroll saw kit with an adjustable power supply and wire supported at both ends. But I actually did most of my work using those long razor blades used as refills for the utility knife with the snap off tips. I just recently bought this hot knife from Harbor Freight for $15. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, so I can't report on how well it works on the foam. But it obviously won't be suitable for detail work.

fyrstormer

Banned
Great Stuff expanding foam in a can. :naughty: Molds in and around anything.

No, seriously. I've bought computer motherboards on eBay before, and they were sandwiched between two blocks of Great Stuff sprayed inside garbage bags and allowed to expand inside the box.