Green Proton Pro???

nightshade

Enlightened
How difficult would it be to replace the red LED in the Proton Pro with a green one? Is it even possible (voltages the same)?

Nice light the Pro is. And yes, it is very possible. In every color that 3mm led's are offered in. It would be to your advantage to do the work yourself.
The work, if farmed out, will probably cost more than the light.

Here is a thread containing mondo info on the Pro.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/182920&page=5

Look for posts and pics from CPF member "Nekomane" in the thread for disassembly. Between thread post # 150-180, IIRC.

Enjoy.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately no, not easily possible. Green LEDs don't have the same VF as red LEDs. The red could be replaced by an IR, Orange or Amber LED. Green, Blue (which = white) and Violet LEDs are all around the same VF usually. You could replace the main white Cree with a green Cree perhaps.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I e-mailed LRI once asking them about a green Proton, they said no, but that I could do it myself.

Green and a smooth beamed XP-G:drool:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Unfortunately no, not easily possible. Green LEDs don't have the same VF as red LEDs. The red could be replaced by an IR, Orange or Amber LED. Green, Blue (which = white) and Violet LEDs are all around the same VF usually. You could replace the main white Cree with a green Cree perhaps.
It is possible in the Pro, despite the Vf diference.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I believe the Pro is CC with PWM dimming, so Vf will automatically be adjusted for. It will however go VERY low. Max is hard to say, it depends a lot on your choice of LED, but it will never be extremely bright.

nightshade

Enlightened
The green will work and would make a very friendly light, in regards to night adapted vision, imho. The Pro isn't that hard to mod once opened. I've opened only two, one had very liberal loc-tite on the threads and the other did not have any at all. The Pro is a under appreciated light. Solid performer as far as my real world needs are concerned. Especially given its price point.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first saw it I wondered the same thing. :)I would snap up a green version.