Who can help to explain a temperature phenomenon of vehicle frog LED?

ltpeng31

Newly Enlightened
I have a LED working at 4.5V 0.64A. the max LED temperature was 84.7C in infra red camera picture.
I applied some black ink(white board pen, mabe there is alcohol included) on LED package to avoid glare and make camera more efficient, but an amazing thing happened.
After turned on LED, looks there was chemical reaction happening bewteen pen ink and LED sealed resin, fortunately LED was still working.
Then, I took the camera, LED temperature was over 130C, but input power was still same 4.5V 0.6A.​

In order to confirm this, I set TC on LED substrate near LED sealed resin bulb, it was 112C.
In the 2nd original sample TC temperature was 84.6C at same location.​
There is a big heatsink under LED board, most of heat will tranfer to heasink and dissipate to ambient.
What's the problem? Who can tell the cause?​
(sorry the IR picture can not work, I will try.)

Hi DM51, Thanks for your opinion, my english is not good.

LED on board(a heatsink is under board) and IR pictures link:
http://13051785.photo.hexun.com/1677626_section.html

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Errr... welcome to CPF, ltpeng31.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here (actually, I don't understand it at all). Are you using a translation program to convert your post to English? They sometimes produce strange results.

Your photos haven't worked either, so it is difficult to advise you.

Rod911

Enlightened
A NICHIA LED, lighting at 4.5V 0.64A, temperature is 84.7C in IR camera, 84.6C thermal coupled (I set TC on LED substrate near LED bulb).
I used LOTUS Whiteboard pen sweared on LED package to avoid glare and make IR camera more efficiency. But an amazing thing followed, after power on, burst of white smoke, looks there is reaction happened, fortunately LED is still working.
Then, I took the camera, LED temperature is over 130C, thermal couple is 112C. but input power is still same 4.5V 0.6A.

What's the problem? Who can tell the cause?​
Hmm, let me see if I can translate it...
I have a Nichia LED with specs of 4.5v and 0.64A on an infra-red (IR) camera on it, it normally reads 84.7C, whereas when I set the thermal couple near the LED, it reads 84.6C.

Now, I used some sort of marker to diffuse/reduce the glare on the LED to make the IR camera more efficient. However, by doing so, when I turned the power on, a puff of white smoke appeared out of no where. Despite the magic white smoke, the LED is still working.

After the above incident, I measured the LED's temperature and it now reads 130C, and the thermal couple at 112C even though the specs remain the same (ie. 4.5v and 0.64A).

Does any one have any idea what's caused the increase in temperature?
Well, that's how I read his post. :)

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not real clear on where exactly you put the ink, but black ink in the vacinity of a powerful light source is going to heat up. An object that is white, or reflective, is not absorbing the light. Instead it is being reflected away and thus not heating up as much. If you add black ink, the color black appears that way because it is absorbing all light frequencies. And when it absorbs the light, it heats up. If the areas around the LED were colored black, it would absorb more of the light emitted from the LED and heat up more causing the temperature increase even though no more power was being used. If it was the clear LED dome itself that you applied the ink to, it would be even worse. The ink would tend to trap all the light, and all the heat, within the LED and cause even larger temperature changes.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What is the suggested voltage and drive current to the LED?

4.5v sounds high for any LED normal. But if the dies are in series, then it makes more sense.

:welcome:

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
mmm.... "frog" = jump? as in;

"I put ink on the edge of the emitter and reflector and when I turned it back on the temperature jumped. "

Makes sense if any part of the LE is darkened, more heat adsorption, higher sink temp.

Just a wild-*** guess on my part.

dandism

Enlightened
I remember reading somewhere that something painted black gives of more heat that something white. Perhaps that is the case with the op's LED?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember reading somewhere that something painted black gives of more heat that something white. Perhaps that is the case with the op's LED?
Yes. I think he was attempting to use the black marker as an emissive coating. Interesting that he has access to equipment like that($Ks) but little understanding of how it all works. :thinking: