1x 123 or 1x AA with tail button?

prisoner6

Newly Enlightened
Please excuse me, but I'm fairly new here and am still working on the lingo.

I have used Surefire G2's for awhile, and am now starting my search for something more pocketable.

I am looking for ideally a one cell LED, either 123 or AA, but preferably a 123, with a press-button tail for momentary on, and bright enough to at least attempt stunning someone in a darkened situation. Would like it to be fairly simple in setup, maybe a high mode and a lower mode, and able to go in a pocket easily.

I have been reading through these forums for hours, but there are so many models and variations. It seems like either Fenix or Quark have models that can fit the bill.

Any suggestions/help?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Most of the lights here have a tail switch.

What price range are you looking at?
What beam pattern?
Runtime?

The Nitecore Defender Infinity or Extreme might suit you. Tighten bezel is max output mode, loosen bezel is user programmed low mode, and there is also a strobe mode.

Don't depend on your light to protect you if someone is attacking you. Make sure you also know some defense moves.

:welcome:

sabre7

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF, hopefully you are only looking for a bright light to rely on for illumination, and not for its potential to stun someone, either as a last resort or otherwise. A quick CPF Google search should turn up previous threads with lengthy discussions on the subject.

Egsise

Banned
Please excuse me, but I'm fairly new here and am still working on the lingo.

I have used Surefire G2's for awhile, and am now starting my search for something more pocketable.

I am looking for ideally a one cell LED, either 123 or AA, but preferably a 123, with a press-button tail for momentary on, and bright enough to at least attempt stunning someone in a darkened situation. Would like it to be fairly simple in setup, maybe a high mode and a lower mode, and able to go in a pocket easily.

I have been reading through these forums for hours, but there are so many models and variations. It seems like either Fenix or Quark have models that can fit the bill.

Any suggestions/help?

For stunning use a baseball bat.
If you use a flashlight for stunning you may get stunned by a baseball bat.

prisoner6

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of your help. I've got a lot to look through.

And yes, I know a flashlight isn't for stunning, humor sometimes doesn't translate on written forums.

I am rethinking a forward clicky for pocket as far as need, though it is what I'm familiar with.

After looking through a bunch of these, I'm also wondering how complicated some of the UI are. I just need basics really. Wondering if a Nitecore EZ 123 might be more suited to my needs.

I realize that the different measurements for output make comparisons difficult. However, buying online means it's hard to judge differences. The level of output I get from my Surefire G2 is sufficient. Can I expect that level from the Quark, Fenix or Nitecore?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The G2 normal is 60 something lumen output. The Nitecore Extreme puts out more light then that. Throw numbers are similar, so it should have similar throw, and more output. UIs usually seem much more complex then they really are. Most of the lights mentioned here should be able to match or beat the G2 in output. Maybe not throw though because of the smaller reflector.

In the end, pick the light that suit your needs the most.

pipspeak

Enlightened
After looking through a bunch of these, I'm also wondering how complicated some of the UI are. I just need basics really. Wondering if a Nitecore EZ 123 might be more suited to my needs.

In this case you should definitely consider the Quark Tactical series -- the basic UI is momentary or switch on, with one of two levels chosen by twisting the head. Best of all, you can set those two levels to be whatever you want. It's the best of both worlds -- simple UI but advanced programming to customize that UI.

pobox1475

Enlightened
^ +1. You can still get a tac in the limited edition 5A warm tint. I have two of the 5A's and am totally happy with them.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
For 1xCR123/RCR123, i own the Jetbeam Jet II Pro IBS, mine uses a forward clicky and has 3 individually programmable modes, so if your preference is to stun someone, mode 1 can be set to the fastest strobe, mode 2 for max output, mode 3 for minimum output or any combination that you wish. I find that the flexibility in programming modes makes this a great light for me. (www.bugoutgear.com think discount code is "CPFJET", someone correct me if i am wrong)

I also own the Nitecore EX10 which is also a great light, you can loosen the head so it works in momentary mode but in this mode you cannot change light levels, i normally set mine to max and then minimum is just a double tap away or i can tap and hold to ramp up and down. It is also a very durable light (trust me, i have tested this against unforgiving brick walls and cracked 2 lenses, since replaced) (www.4sevens.com, discount code "CPF8")

The Romisen RC N3 II Q5 is a 2xAA or 1xCR123/RCR123 light, it is a 2 mode light that utilises a forward clicky and on 1xRCR123 it is very bright (though it loses the 2 modes on RCR123s but retains the 2 modes on CR123s) There is also another model, the RC N3 Warm White which is the same light except without the 2 modes but a nice warmer tint. (www.shiningbeam.com, discount code "CPFuser").

The above are lights that i own, have heard very nice things about the Quarks too and now that they're coming out with the Prism, its definitely on my list of lights to get, just a matter of which one :D having an attachment to make it an anglehead and able to fit on a headband is a genius idea. i definitely see a Quark in my life in the future. There is also the Liteflux.

Oh yes, one more light, Solarforce L2M, think there is an option for forward clicky, you have a choice of dropins for that light as well as getting an extension tube so it can run on a 18650 cell too. I own an L2, running it with the DX MC-E drop in and got the optional clip so it cannot roll out of my bag like my last light (Surefire G2 :( ). (www.sbflashlights.com, not too sure about discount codes though)

The above are the 1xCR123/RCR123 lights that i would humbly recommend you take a look at, you can search for reviews on all the other models available too, i was also swamped at the choices when i first became a member of this site and was quite astounded at the prices too but after a while you will come to realise that quality does count and does not come cheap although there are lights that balance quality and price well.

For 1xAA lights, there are way too many choices there, Romisen RC G2s, Akoray K106 spring to mind for decent budget lights, Jetbeam Jet I Pro v3.0, Nitecore D10, Liteflux, etc

Hope you find the light you're looking for.

Oh yes, and :welcome:

avicenne13

Newly Enlightened
Get the Quark AA tactical and then buy the accessory CR123 body for it. or maybe get the CR123 clipped head and then the AA body. Depends how you want the clip.

CPF8 gives a 8% discount
Quark15 gives 15% discount on quarks

Forgive my ignorance but I do not get it, what is the advantage of buying Quark AA tactical with an additional CR123 body over buying only CR123 tactical?

pobox1475

Enlightened
^ basically versatility. I think cave dave was trying to point out that you could get a light that can handle both batteries since in your OP you specified 123 or AA. Sorta like a 2 for 1.33 ;).

Billy Berue

Newly Enlightened
Forgive my ignorance but I do not get it, what is the advantage of buying Quark AA tactical with an additional CR123 body over buying only CR123 tactical?
Whether it's an "advantage" depends on your perspective. Many CPF'rs (myself included) think the Quark AA is one of the most versatile, "bang for the buck" lights in the lineup. You can run at least 4 different battery chemistries in that one tube alone (Li-Ion 14500's, NiMH AA's, Lithium AA's, Alkaline AA's). The best choice, IMO, is a 14500, as it gives you a super bright (and guilt-free) turbo mode and great runtime on the non-turbo modes. And being able to fall back on plain old AA's is a real plus when you're in a pinch because you can find those anywhere.

For $20 extra, you can add a 123 body that would allow you to run 123 primaries, as well as RCR123's. The only difference between that and the "normal" 123 model is the clip, as you wouldn't have a clip in that configuration. The Quark 123 tube is so short that the clip on the "normal" 123 model had to be permanently attached directly to the head, rather than the removeable version that is attached to the body tube on all the other Quark versions. If you are dead set on having a Quark 123 with a clip, then you must order the 123 head.

You could accomplish the exact same thing by ordering a clipless 123 and a spare AA body, but that will cost you $2 more than the other way around. Not sure why the pricing works that way, but that's the way it is.

Hope that helps.

sunfire

Newly Enlightened
I think you need the same as I...Fenix TK 1AA:devil:...what?:oops:
does not exist yet??? :confused:What is Fenix waiting for???...:ohgeez:
I think TK 1AA will be a blockbuster!:hitit:

avicenne13

Newly Enlightened
Whether it's an "advantage" depends on your perspective. Many CPF'rs (myself included) think the Quark AA is one of the most versatile, "bang for the buck" lights in the lineup. You can run at least 4 different battery chemistries in that one tube alone (Li-Ion 14500's, NiMH AA's, Lithium AA's, Alkaline AA's). The best choice, IMO, is a 14500, as it gives you a super bright (and guilt-free) turbo mode and great runtime on the non-turbo modes. And being able to fall back on plain old AA's is a real plus when you're in a pinch because you can find those anywhere.

For $20 extra, you can add a 123 body that would allow you to run 123 primaries, as well as RCR123's. The only difference between that and the "normal" 123 model is the clip, as you wouldn't have a clip in that configuration. The Quark 123 tube is so short that the clip on the "normal" 123 model had to be permanently attached directly to the head, rather than the removeable version that is attached to the body tube on all the other Quark versions. If you are dead set on having a Quark 123 with a clip, then you must order the 123 head.

You could accomplish the exact same thing by ordering a clipless 123 and a spare AA body, but that will cost you $2 more than the other way around. Not sure why the pricing works that way, but that's the way it is.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for such a great post. You shaped my purchase of a Quark flashlight. I was unaware of such an option existed and this would be a perfect and versatile combination for me for sure.

To have best of all worlds in a flashlight is a great opportunity.

I assume they all use the same led configuration in all the models right?

Again, sorry if I sound as ignorant.