Most powerful LED under 1 lb?

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Hey everyone - Newbe here and I'm overwhelmed at all the good info here? I'm also amazed at how powerful/efficient lights have gotten in the last 5 years or so ...

Anyways I'm looking for an efficient but powerful light that I can use for everything - hiking, reading in the tent, searchlight and (don't laugh) motorcycle helmet light! I often ride motorcycles in the woods and get caught after dark. I know there are more "purpose built" lights for this, but I found ducttaping a 140 lumen light to my helmet helped on the trails but which got me thinking that a 700+ lumen light would really be great. I don't mind a 1 lb, 8" long light taped to my head in those emergency events but wouldn't want a huge searchlight up there :).

Anyways, any thougths? I'm hoping to spend under $150, and to have a light that on high is at least as bright as a 35 watt, MR16 halogen. I'd also like to have at least 2 other lower power modes like in the 80-200 lumen range, and in the 8-30 lumen range (reading in the tent for example). A plus would be one that had the option to have extender tubes etc.

TIA

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest you go to the review section and just start reading everything!
The Jetbeam M1X would be a good choice...but there are many P7 and cree M-CE lights that would probably suite.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd also suggest reading reviews.

The quad die LED lights or SST-50 lights should be a good choice here.

:welcome:

flasherByNight

Enlightened
What about the incoming TK-30? Small tube, easy "duct tapeability", and extension tubes :twothumbs

I love my TK-40 (8AA's), shaped like a maglite...

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
thanks for the info guys - I just checked out the tk 30 and that looks like a great light!

I'm kind of new to this ... what do you guys think of Fenix's quality? (I just bought a 140 lumen "life gear" flashlight from target. It was bright for the price but it doesn't always turn on - sometimes I have to slap it. I'm hoping for something more reliable than that :)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Judging by the amount of praise they get here, they are good light. I had three, then my friend lost one of them and another was returned because I bought it right before the Cree craze took off. They were/are all good lights.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
+1 that the TK30 might be a good choice. I have seen many excellent reviews on the quality and durability of Fenix lights.

Supermomo

Newly Enlightened
I have TK30 for almost a week. It is a great light to carrying around. It weight much less than 1lb (about 11oz) with 2x 18650 batteries installed. It also can go as low as 12 lumen to as much as 630 lumen. I mount it on my bike's handle bar and the output is amazing. It put out so much useful light on the field even with one battery installed (370 lumen).

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I have TK30 for almost a week. It is a great light to carrying around. It weight much less than 1lb (about 11oz) with 2x 18650 batteries installed. It also can go as low as 12 lumen to as much as 630 lumen. I mount it on my bike's handle bar and the output is amazing. It put out so much useful light on the field even with one battery installed (370 lumen).

is there anything out there to make it easier to mount to your handlebars?

Also are there any stores that carry Fenix you can go to or do you have to buy them via the internet?

thanks rick

dudu84

Enlightened

Is the beam too throwy for bike riding?

Supermomo

Newly Enlightened
I don't think the TK30 is too throwy instead it put out a lot of useful light on the corner edge, too. I did notice people looking at me when I bike through the trail. Its a very powerful LED light with very nice temp color. By looking at some of comparison beamshots posted in this forum, it seems like TK30 is a bit floodier than TK40 and also brighter than Olight M30 maybe due to nice warm color of its LED light.