Offroad vehicle/general purpose light

paintsnow

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone.

My cheap little Surefire G2 is finally dying on me.

Ive been looking for a light to primarily stay in my offroad vehicle.
It will be used for camping, finding stuff in the truck at night, fixing the truck or just working on it at night, as well as hiking or checking out what went bump at 2am.

I like the idea of a multi level or adjustable light, so that i can go from reading a map, to lighting up the woods. Ive been looking at the Olight M20, M21, M30 as well as the Jetbeam RRT-1 and 2. Also ive been considering the 5.11 Light for life.

Im loving the multiple outputs, run times, the ability to use rechargeable batteries that i can throw on the charger in the vehicle.

The only thing that bugs me is the difficulty and time required to change the brightness. They all have some stupid "memory mode" crap where they remember the last setting you used, and revert to it when you turn it on. What kind of crap is that? If i was reading a book the night before, and now i hear something in the bushes, i want to be able to see it, not get a 3 lumen output.

I like how surefire designed the nights that will never come out, that if you hit the button all the way you get the max output the light can produce. If you dont need it you dont push the button in all the way and can use less light. Unfortunately, their runtimes suck, and they are overpriced, even though i like their lights, they just dont seem to be for me.

So basically, i would like to ask if there are any adjustable lights you would recommend that have multiple outputs, and quick access to full output.

Im liking the 5.11 because if i push the button in all the way i get 270 lumens, and 90 lumen for 60 min should be plenty for anything im doing around the truck, and then i can just pop it back on the charger for 90 seconds.

Although if there is something that will give me the same features i need, with longer burn times, i dont mind rechargeable batteries since i can have the charger in the truck and be able to go further from it for hikes or anything else that may come up.

Thanks for the help!
-Paint

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You can get a Malkoff M60LL for your G2 and use that for a backup light. It will get around the same output as the stock incan G2 and give a lot more runtime.

As for another light, many lights have a twist-able bezel. For example, the Fenix PD30. There are two sets of output modes. The first is with the bezel tight, and the second is with the bezel loose. Bezel tight will always be turbo mode which is max output, then strobe if you change the mode, then back to max output if you change again. Bezel loosed is always general mode, which starts on low, then switch to medium if you switch the mode, then to high, then to SOS, then back to low. It doesn't remember what mode you last used, so if you have the light on low before, just tighten the head to get max even before you turn on the light.

Similar with many other lights. Just read the reviews and see if the UI suits you. There are even some videos on youtube that show you what the UI of the light is like.

:welcome:

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
Rather than recommend a specific light for you, please allow me to recommend an approach to finding one that will fit your requirements. 1st, decide what kind of rechargable batteries you wish to use, i.e., NiMH or lithium ion. Then decide how many cells, i.e., one, two or more. Once you've made those decisions, consult Selfbuilt's excellent "roundup" reviews of the lights having your preferred format. Lastly, prepare your bank account for some shocks!

Good hunting!

paintsnow

Newly Enlightened
I dont own any rechargeable batteries, so i dont really care which size i end up with. Im fine with buying it around the light.

I know what i want in the light, but cant seem to find a light that matches that.

I want multiple outputs with a quick, one handed way to trigger max output.

Sounds like the Fenix PD30 would require 2 hands to activate max output.

Why was the Surefire optimus discontinued! lol

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive been looking at the rrt-1 for the same sort of use really, quick to use selector ring bomb proof design, think the finish will go well with my gun metal colour cherokee aswell !