Using Denatured Alcohol To Clean Flux ???

556man

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I've seen a guy on youtube cleaning a PCB using denatured alcohol to clean flux after soldering. Would denatured alcohol hurt the emitter after soldering?

Thanks in advance for the info.

556man

Mick

Newly Enlightened
You should go to the manufacturer of the "emitter" (LED?) for this information.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
alcohol should be fine on the emitter, which one are we talking about? some emitters, like the cree xr-e, have very easy to knock off domes.

556man

Newly Enlightened
alcohol should be fine on the emitter, which one are we talking about? some emitters, like the cree xr-e, have very easy to knock off domes.

It's a Cree XR-E Q5. I'll clean it carefully around the dome and blow it with compressed air.

Thank you,
556man

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Q-tip and alcohol to clean the flux up. No need to touch the emitter.

Al Combs

Enlightened
It's a Cree XR-E Q5. I'll clean it carefully around the dome and blow it with compressed air.

Thank you,
556man
As csshih pointed out, the XR-E domes are very delicate. The glass hemispherical dome is glued onto the reflector with a tiny bead of white silicone glue. Take a close look with a magnifier and you can see it. There is special "goop" in between the back of the lens and the delicate emitter. If you hit the dome too hard with compressed air, you just might blow the dome right off the LED. Nake's idea of a Q-Tip is much safer.