Micro Photon II versus...

joshcomley

Newly Enlightened
I have just ordered a Photon Rex based upon some research on here. But also based upon that research I learned that the Rex is great but does not have such a long life.

I was about to plunge for a few more Micro Photon II's when I thought I'd better ask if that's the best thing out there at the moment for:

- Long life
- Bright
- Tiny (unlike Rex)
- < $25/£15

Is there a Photon III round the corner? Are there newer, better options?

Thanks in advance!

Gatsby

Enlightened
The Photon II is a pretty solid keyring/backup light - but the Photon Freedom brings a much wider range of options for not a lot more money.

I have a Photon II that has served well for 10+ years now and is still going strong. However, Lighthounds $1 lights seem like a reasonable and much less expensive option.

In that price range a lot of people like the Maratac AAA light, which will have a nicer and brighter beam as well as multiple levels, but will be a good bit larger than a Photon.

For a bit more money the Peak Eiger is a customizable and pretty compelling key ring package.

fareast

Enlightened
I have about 7 freedoms and two Photon II's and have stopped using them Freedoms (the camo versions keep breaking! all the time) due to reliability issues. The Photon II's are rock solid though. But if this is all I could get (Photon II, on/off) I'd rather stick to the cheapo's from Lighthound and such if size is the main concern.

Peak has different battery tubes for the same flashlight head so the Eiger can be used with a 10180/10280 etc. etc. cell. This also goes for the other models. I think you would have to choose a brightness, cell type and the metal before you make the order.

If you want a small (photon size) metal light, do a search for lights which use a 10180 cell. HKJ has a great round-up of the smallest lights currently available.

Edit: here's the link:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/231920

Last edited:

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
To answer one of the OPs questions, Photon did come out with a Photon 3 Years ago (I have several) but they canceled it after introducing the Freedom, which is effectively a Photon 4. The 3 was multi-mode (high,medium,low,Strobe, sos, etc), which I like in many ways better than the Freedom, which instead has variable output.

Gatsby

Enlightened
Here is a good thread on the Peak Eiger

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/230946

It is very customizable - you can pick the battery tube (10180, 10280, 10440/AAA), the battery tube shape (lug or pocket), the power (8 levels), the beam shape (wide, medium, narrow), the body material (stainless steel, brass, hard anodized aluminum), and the emitter color (cool or neutral)...

The primary balance is the power level and battery size - as the tiny 10180 doesn't pack enough juice to really do justice to the higher levels, if you want a level 8 you're much better off with the AAA/10440 size.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'd go for the Freedom for its great UI, like the ReX. I've got an orange LED Freedom that works well for low light use, and uses one battery (2032). I think you'll enjoy the ReX. While it is larger the runtime is really pretty good if not used on high. You'll be surprised how bright it can be. And, the charging system has a high gadget factor.

Geoff

joshcomley

Newly Enlightened
Two questions:

- Is the Freedom brighter?
- Does the Freedom have an "stay on" option like the Photon II?

I actually used to have a Freedom a few years back, my dad ensured everyone he knew had either a Freedom or a Photon II.

I seem to remember it being a stiff press before the light comes on and there being no way of turning it off, but I can't remember.

Marduke

Flashaholic
It has the same UI as the REX. Click for on/off, press and hold for ramp at any time.

It is not as bright as the REX.

I'm not sure what you mean by the REX not having a long life. You mean runtime? Durability?

joshcomley

Newly Enlightened
@Marduke - thanks for that. What I meant was battery life.

Obviously you can recharge it, which technically means it has a longer battery life than any other! But in terms of how long you can use it before a recharge appears to be less time than you can use a Photon II before you need to swap the battery. This is expected due to the brightness of the little pocket rocket, but it might be a good idea to keep a Photon II spare!

Marduke

Flashaholic
It lasts longer at the same brightness....

Also, the runtime is somewhat misleading, because it's very different when measured continuously vs intermittent.

BTW, remember the Freedom will far outlast the Photon II since you have the option of running at lower modes. It can literally run for weeks constant if need be.

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
PhotonColors.jpg

Photons are great little backup and keychain lights. The UI of the Photon II is unmatched in its simplicity and beauty while the UI of the Freedom is cumbersome IMHO, BUT ... it offers longer runtimes when needed.

AND ... there are no fancy schmancy colors with the Photon II ... you'll need the Freedom for that.

I love them all.

bernie

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want brightness and runtime, the answer is simple. You need a little bigger light that can pack more power in it. Try a 1AAA light like the ITP A3 EOS or a Maratac flashlight. If runtime is an issue for you, you're going to be disappointed by the REX because of the short runtimes and downtime. They dim from full brightness after about 15-20 minutes and lithium ion batteries don't last long when discharged too much.

paulr

Flashaholic
Josh, all 5mm keychain coin-cell lights (Photon II, Photon 3, Freedom, Lighthound/DX "Fauxtons", etc) are about the same brightness. The Rex is about 4x brighter because it has 4 of those leds, but as a result, it's also bigger.

The 1-led lights are very bright for their size when the battery is super fresh. After you use them a little while, they get dimmer, but they keep putting out a useful light level for several hours.

If you want something brighter, your next step up from a Rex is something with a power led, e.g. Peak Eiger or the like. Such a light will be quite a bit larger on your keys than a Photon.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go for the Freedom for its great UI, like the ReX. I've got an orange LED Freedom that works well for low light use, and uses one battery (2032). I think you'll enjoy the ReX. While it is larger the runtime is really pretty good if not used on high. You'll be surprised how bright it can be. And, the charging system has a high gadget factor.

Geoff

Very under rated light!:twothumbs

Archie Cruz

Banned
Please point me to a full depiction of the Photon II/III UI and Functionality.
We are desperately in search of the smallest flashlight that has between 1-10 lumens of output and can be programmed to remember an output setting and with regulation, will hold this setting and remember it for repeated ON/OFF cycles. If you know of such a light, please contact us as soon as possible.
We beleive it could be the Photon II or Photon III, but we are unable to locate the necessary technical information that will allow us to purchase this light.

Marduke

Flashaholic
The Photon II is single mode only. The III is out of production and had no memory. The Freedom also doesn't have a memory.
  • All it takes is a simple squeeze of the button to give you instant full power illumination at any time. To dim the light once it is turned on, simply press and hold the button to dim the light to the desired level.
  • Pressing and holding the button when the light is already off will turn it on at the lowest level and allow you to gradually increase the brightness to give you just the amount of light you need to accomplish your task without disturbing your night vision or disrupting those around you.
  • When needed, the four safety strobe functions (fast, medium, slow, & SOS) can be accessed by continuing to hold the button down. Once the flashlight has dimmed or brightened fully, it will proceed to cycle through the various strobe functions. Simply release the button when you reach the desired beacon mode.
  • An additional "momentary/signaling" mode can be accessed by tapping the button several times in rapid succession. When in the signaling mode, the Freedom Micro LED flashlight will behave like the squeeze-only Photon I, with the light turning on only while the button is pressed and off when it is released. To exit the signaling mode and return the light to normal operation, simply press and hold the button for several seconds until the flashlight turns off.
Available for purchase here:
http://www.cfrlights.com/servlet/the-4/photon-freedom-micro,-LRI,/Detail