Makita 18 volt flashlight bulb upgrade?

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I've got one of those cordless "combo kits" from Makita based on their 18 volt, 3 amp hr, Lith ion batteries. It comes with a large flashlight that I find I like sometimes as its big and easy to find and recharges in 15 minutes (actually instant because I have 3 batteries).

It seems to be a cutting edge battery but 50 year old technology in the bulb. Any ideas for a higher output bulb that could fit in their housing? (Its about 2 1/2 " diameter).

ricky

P220C

Newly Enlightened
3 x Seoul P4s mounted to a some AL tubing glued where the current reflector sits.

Major sugery on the housing to allow for lots of air circulation.

Add more aluminum until you thing you have enough heat sinking.

3023 buck puck

you should be good to go.

I started this on a DeWALT light, but abandoned it for a better platform. There is just too much wrong with such a set up, and very little right (ie plasic housing, heavy, big, jacked high voltage, loses water resistance when ventilated for heat sinking)

it's been done, it's a fun, and the results are 100x better than the Incan bulb but your better off spending the same money on a good small light and a tripod and calling it good.

ledaholic

Enlightened
How about 7 Q5's with optics on a heatsink with vent holes on the top and bottom as in my avatar. There is room in the Makita.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not just an MC-E wired in series? Then you just need some heatsinking and you should be able to use the current reflector.