KL4 runtime?

SarcoBlaster

Newly Enlightened
I'm considering buying a KL4 sometime soon, but want to know how long it runs on the 2 123's. Does anybody know? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

grnamin

Enlightened
Here's what the Operator's Manual says:
Maximum output of 65 lumens for 65 minutes, followed by 25 minutes of moderate output, with a total "useful" output of over 15 hours. Note: Useful output is defined as a level of output sufficient to illuminate an object, such has a keyhole, from a distance of several inches in total darkness.

Darell

Flashaholic
Used in short bursts, it lasts longer than an hour. Sorry I can't narrow it down more than that, but I'm having too much fun to be constantly looking at my stopwatch. I've proved this runtime to myself a couple of times now.

Darell

Flashaholic
Yikes, and didn't melt? I haven't been brave enough to leave mine on for longer than ten minutes at a time.

Choua - I just happen to have four of those little buggers sitting around. I can give it a shot, but I'm afraid to hear them squeal again! I don't think they'll last very long...

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Brock said:
...To sum it up it ran just over 70 min in regulation using SF123's

[/ QUOTE ]

Brock,

Could it be handled at all; any temperature readings?

One advantage of my cm-modded 5W/kl1 is that it's running at about 3-3.5W and is still holdable after 22 minutes. I figure the LED is degrading slower than in the KL4.

Brightnorm

Size15's

Flashaholic
I put four sets of SF123A through my KL4 sample for reasons I won't go into (I'm an idiot - 'nuff said)
That was constant-on until it dropped out of regulation. I also get about 70 minutes straight. I then reloaded and switched it straight back on.

I've also done a few other runtime tests constant-on.

Since I've had the KL4 I've been using 2-3 pairs of SF123A per week. As with the A2, with the KL4 I'm getting pretty good at keeping track of the runtime. I usually carry a spare pair of SF123As in a little bag (that holds the spare buttons from clothing) at the bottom of my pocket.

If you use the KL4 only for short bursts rather than constant-on, then the runtime could perhaps increase by as much as a third. I've never really investigated this due to not having a rig that can replicate EDC usage patterns and record output over time...

Al

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
I then reloaded and switched it straight back on.

[/ QUOTE ]

did you have to put on asbestos gloves to do that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
It was 140F at the head in the test jig after about 20 min and pretty much stayed there after that. It doesn't get a lot of air movement in the jig, so it might have got a bit warmer then if you were using/holding it. I could hold the body of the light, it was between 110 and 120, but I don't remember for sure.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have asbestos hands - it runs in the family.
It doesn't get that hot. I mean, I've had rain water steaming off the Lexan lens of my 12PM before... Those were the days when I'd put four sets of DL123A Ultras (at GB£9.99 a pair) through my 12PM/N62 in a night.

I love the highs you get from fresh Lithium. I believe Brock and I share this same wonderful addiction.

Al

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol al! in any case i hope the KL5 gets released soon...the L4 sounds really good but i already have my arc to cover my close-range flood light needs. i'm hoping the KL5 would be able to render the P60 completely redundant /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay... A KT-Turbohead just beggin' for this LS... And yes, I know Don's already done it...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

r2

Enlightened
Size15s,

Do you know a good place to order Surefires and other lights & batteries in England? A battery source would be especially helpful.

Thanks,

Russ

Size15's

Flashaholic
Russ, please email me as there are a number of options.
You could also post your question as a thread else where on CPF to see if more members have input.

Al

r2

Enlightened
I guess that was a bit OT, wasn't it?

Back on the subject: Peter Gransee once suggested that holding a light that gets really hot does a good job of keeping it cool since your body has a built-in liquid cooling system (at least for anything over body temperature). It still gets hot, but not as hot as if you leave it on its own for a while. Any comments on how well this works/doesn't work with the L4?

- Russ

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
heat with constant run may keep me away from this light...I like to know that if I need to I can have 5w. of light for an hour without worrying about burning a knurling pattern in my skin....