Anything similar to the P7 but brighter?

JRS7

Newly Enlightened
Got my first P7 on my Birthday....it's a Spiderfire P7, uses one 18670. It's VERY COOL and BRIGHT! Wondering if there is anything similar in size except brighter? Something that I don't need a loan from my local bank to buy?

The Spiderfire P7 was only $35, advertised at 900 Lumens, which is nowhere near the case, most think it's around 400 or 500. I see the Tiablo A9 on Ebay, but it's only listed as 256 Lumens, so I'm guessing it's nowhere near as bright as the P7.

Any ideas on anything similar to the P7's?

Maybe some links?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
for the datasheet values a P7 draws roughly 3200 mA from one 18650,
simply too much for even that cell, as You see with Your light.

Best option - if the size increase does not matter --> a light running from 2*18650.

Jetbeam M1X being the best of the breed, but You do find quite a number of cheaper ones.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Spiderfire P7 was only $35, advertised at 900 Lumens, which is nowhere near the case, most think it's around 400 or 500. I see the Tiablo A9 on Ebay, but it's only listed as 256 Lumens, so I'm guessing it's nowhere near as bright as the P7.

Different categories. One's a flood light and the other's a thrower. Tiablo A9 will out throw your Spiderfire P7. So, which are you asking for? :)

daimleramg

Banned
for the datasheet values a P7 draws roughly 3200 mA from one 18650,
simply too much for even that cell, as You see with Your light.

Best option - if the size increase does not matter --> a light running from 2*18650.

Jetbeam M1X being the best of the breed, but You do find quite a number of cheaper ones.

What do you mean?

Any li-ion cell can handle 2C discharge safely, so if the 18650 he uses has low capacity like around 2000mA it can still handle 4000mA if the driver wants that much current. AW's new 18650 is rated at 2600mA and he says it can handle 5200mA.

Part 10

The original thread is getting too big so I 'll re-organize here :

*** NEW AW P18650 -26

- Designed for incan lamps and high power LEDs. Good performance even under 3A - 5A draw.

- Powers up a WA1185/1111 with a single click.

- Three triangulated raised dots ensure solid cell to cell connection when used in series.

- PCB protection against overcharge/ over discharge / short circuit.

- Safety vent with thermal cut off protection.

AW P18650 - 26 SPECIFICATIONS:

Constant Voltage : 3.7V
Capacity : 2600mAH ( rated at 0.2C discharge 4.2V - 2.8V @ 25℃ )
Operating Temp. : Charge 0 to 45℃ / Discharge -20 to 60 ℃
Max. Charge Rate : 2.6A ( ambient temp. 25 ℃ )
Max. Discharge Rate : 5.2A ( ambient temp. 25 ℃ )
Dimensions :18.52 X 68.16mm ( +/- 0.3mm )

JRS7

Newly Enlightened
Different categories. One's a flood light and the other's a thrower. Tiablo A9 will out throw your Spiderfire P7. So, which are you asking for? :)

Sorry, looking for something small like the Spiderfire using one 18670, but with the best throw for the price....

jimmyjames

Newly Enlightened
Spiderfire is strange. They go to the trouble of building a web site and then want you to email them for price (?)

P7 and MC-E emitters appear to be close in spec. Lots of MCE lights in small form factor but they won't throw like a Jetbeam M1X or any of the other $100 to $150 (LED) super throwers. If you got a P7 light for $35 that works and out throws an R2 then you done good.

JRS7

Newly Enlightened
Spiderfire is strange. They go to the trouble of building a web site and then want you to email them for price (?)

P7 and MC-E emitters appear to be close in spec. Lots of MCE lights in small form factor but they won't throw like a Jetbeam M1X or any of the other $100 to $150 (LED) super throwers. If you got a P7 light for $35 that works and out throws an R2 then you done good.

I don't believe my P7 out throws an R2, it's just a great little 'flood' light.....Now I want some similar in size(and price!) that is a thrower......

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Output and throw are two different things. Imagine a flood light vs a laser. Flood light is brighter, but the laser throws a lot further.

What's your price range? A light with a larger reflector could work for you, or a light with a lens.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, looking for something small like the Spiderfire using one 18670, but with the best throw for the price....

Best throw for the price. What's your price? :thinking:
If you have the budget, maybe DEFT......

For budget throwers, I'd suggest Recoil lights like Ultrafire WF-008 or Focusable X2000 (flood and throw). Both uses 18650.

Do note bright is not equal throw. ;)

Cleric

Newly Enlightened
I don't believe my P7 out throws an R2, it's just a great little 'flood' light.....Now I want some similar in size(and price!) that is a thrower......

The SolarForce L2 with a Cree XR-E R2 is about the same size and is a GREAT thrower!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Solarforce-L2-3...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4144c13c1c

If you want something that out-throws the R2 it will probably be the SST-50 drop-in for the 6p (what the SolarForce L2 is). Nailbender makes and sells them. It should be similar in throw to a Cree XR-E R2 (since it's only a single die or core) except a good bit brighter. From what I've read you can expect 400-500 lumens. Check them out here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/239719

Last edited: