My first LED lamp project.. Power supply questions???

714guy

Newly Enlightened
Hello there..

I've been wanting to make an LED lamp for my desk for some time now. A few days ago I saw this Lamp and that's very similar to what I want. After reading up on it and I have some understanding on the basics about LED voltage, current, and resistors. But I am still unclear about the power supply and what I need to have so I can just plug it into the wall.

My plan is to use a aluminum C-channel to mount the LEDs in twos and staggered them. I want about 140 LEDs, 2 in series and then 70 pairs in parallel.

THE SPECS from http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

• each 330 ohm resistor dissipates 132 mW
  • the wizard says the color code for 330 is orange orange brown
  • the wizard thinks 1/4W resistors are fine for your application
  • together, all resistors dissipate 9240 mW
  • together, the diodes dissipate 8960 mW
  • total power dissipated by the array is 18200 mW
  • the array draws current of 1400 mA from the source.
I was looking at AC power supplies that would output 12v and handle the 1.4 amp load, but is that all I need? LINK to one of them
Today I read about bridge rectifiers and capacitors to smooth out the flickering of LEDs on AC power. Would I also need this?

Well anyways I am sure there are many ways to power this lamp, but what would be the most stable and easiest and cheapest solution to power this lamp?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Jason

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm also planning on making a LED desk lamp, but I'm using a single high power LED (Cree XP-E Q5) powered by this driver. I'm still searching for a suitable but simple way of keeping the LED cool, a copper cap could work. It's something different then what you are trying to build though.

I'm not sure what will work with your setup though.

:welcome:

714guy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help.. I will look into that. I am still trying to figure out the power supply. It seems that I need a power driver for the LEDs to keep the current constant so that it will be at max efficiency. But I figure I'll just play around a little first and see what works. I'll report back what I find.

Can't wait to learn more about the Cree's.. I always see it on DX but have no clue how to wire them up or use them. Eventually I want to make a headlight for my loupes.

jason

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Cree is a company that makes LEDs. Common models are the XR-E, XP-E, XP-G, and MC-E.

The XR-E, XP-E, and XP-G have two contact points, one positive, and one negative, then bottom is for heatsinking. There are indications on the LED for which size is which. If you get it on a star or board, there should be labels on the board that tell you which contact is which. For the MC-E, it has 4 individually addressable dies, so there are 4 contacts on each side, one side is positive, the other side is negative. They are pretty easy to wire up.

I'm guessing that you are using 5mm LEDs? I don't recall a AC to DC driver that has a low output current, but if the LEDs are close in Vf, then you can wire then up in parallel and drive them that way.

714guy

Newly Enlightened
Cool.. thanks for the info.

Yes i am using 5mm LEDs.. I will be connecting them in parallel. I am going to try it out to see how it works. I really just like the design and look of the LEDs but if it's not bright enough then I'll switch over to the cree's.

jason