Advice Please!!!

MRC2CWO3

Newly Enlightened
I am in the US Navy, and I work in the marine engineering area. Specifically, in propulsion plants on US Navy ships. I need a rugged and bright beam light for use in this environment. I have owned mag lights with LED kits installed, a Pelican M9 7050. I really liked the Pelican light for its beam power and rechargeablility. I did not like the size, because it was impractical to carry all the time. I would like to find something in between these lights in the sub-$130 range with the following capabilities:
-Multiple light strengths (candlepower/lumens.... i dunno the difference)
-Decent battery life, preferable rechargeable
-Rugged.... This is a must!
-A beam that can be adjusted from point to broad (so I can point things out that I cannot reach to my sailors)
-size fairly compact, perhaps no longer than 6-7 inches.
-has to have a way to attach a lanyard (for inspecting inside gear boxes, etc).

Any advice out there to help me. The options seem endless, and I have looked at Fenix, Streamlight Strions, Surefires.... just cannot make heads or tails over which will serve me best.

Thanks in advance to all you who have this knowledge!
-RSR

roadie

Enlightened
:welcome:

First choice,

a Fenix TK40 (8xAA), might suits u well.

else,

the Fenix TA30 ...

Happy reading !
:devil:

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
Maybe a Quark AA^2 Turbo, running rechargeable AA NiMH batteries (eneloops)? It doesn't have adjustable focus though; there are very few lights with adjustable beams. Maglite and Led Lenser are the only ones I can think of like that.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want focusable lights, that pretty much limit your choices.
For quality ones, offhand, I can only think of Fenix E20, Led Lenser (P5, P7) or perhaps Romisen (RC-29/RC-C6).

tekguy

Newly Enlightened
rechargable strion incandesant. install a surefire lanyard ring and add a nickel inside the tail cap

outersquare

Enlightened
I am in the US Navy, and I work in the marine engineering area. Specifically, in propulsion plants on US Navy ships. I need a rugged and bright beam light for use in this environment. I have owned mag lights with LED kits installed, a Pelican M9 7050. I really liked the Pelican light for its beam power and rechargeablility. I did not like the size, because it was impractical to carry all the time. I would like to find something in between these lights in the sub-$130 range with the following capabilities:
-A beam that can be adjusted from point to broad (so I can point things out that I cannot reach to my sailors)

Any advice out there to help me. The options seem endless, and I have looked at Fenix, Streamlight Strions, Surefires.... just cannot make heads or tails over which will serve me best.

-RSR

heh, rebel minimag...

Hi Chief...I was Navy too, and I know exactly the environment you're operating in. I recommend that you investigate the following lights: itp's C7 and C8 series (itplights.com); and, the Maratac 9290 (at CountyComm.com). Here's why...

The light comes in a 1xAA and a 2xAA version. It can use rechargeable 3.6V lithium-ion cells, which produce a maximum of 190 lumens (at the emiter), and a low of 6 lumens (which is about half the light of a common candle). You can adjust the light output, almost infinitely, allowing you to adapt to changing illumination requirements. It has a tight hotspot, and good throw, so you can illuminate distant corners of the engine room, down shaft alley, or even inside those pesky gear boxes. The spill beam is bright enough to serve as a quasi-flood beam, but the beam pattern isn't adjustable. (I'd sacrifice this requirement; it will make your search for the perfect light too hard, too expensive, and too frustrating. If you really need a wide area flood beam, get a Malkoff drop-in for a Surefire host. If you only need a low level of flood illumination, look at the Inova 5-LED flood model.) Back to the virtues of my recommendation...the 1xAA version is 4.25 inches long x 0.9 inches in daimeter; the 2xAA version is about 1.25 inches longer. These lights are rugged, built of solid aluminum, and they are watertight. Finally, CountyComm has a nylon holster available for these lights for only $7. They will accommodate a lanyard, but it will need to be narrow gauge (the lanyard holes are about 1/16th inch in diameter). Finally, the 1xAA version sells for somewhere between $35 and $40; I don't have any info as to the price of the 2xAA versions.

Also, if you do go with one of these recommendations, I'd suggest getting a lithium-ion recharger at the same time as you purchase the power cells. (Whatever light(s) you purchase, make certain that the light's input voltage limits are not exceeded by the the cell voltage, otherwise the light and its emitter will go :poof:)

Bon voyage...

Last edited:

Wattnot

Enlightened
Yeah, you should definitely drop the "focus-ability" requirement from your list. I used to think that was important but the lights being recommend are so powerful that even if you had it, you wouldn't use it.

A Jetbeam Jet III single 18650 would suit you well. You can program it to three different settings and it meets all of your requirements, except of course for the focusing.

Click HERE for a link and some beamshots. That one is older but the newer ones only improved.

MRC2CWO3

Newly Enlightened
I really appreciate all the assistance. I like the Maratac 9290, but the Surefire Strions seem to be a fleet favorite.... The ITP light is nice looking as well... Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Thanks, and keep the recommendations coming. I will post my decision by the end of the week. Thanks Again and Happy Veterans Day to all Vets!

MRC2CWO3

Newly Enlightened
What does the nickle do? Are you referring to the Streamlight Strion that I have read about on these forums?

MRC2CWO3

Newly Enlightened
Dave-

What is the advantage of the C8 -vs- C7? Is it simply a matter of battery life with 2 AA batteries installed vice a single in the C7? Also, I see tailpiece accessories... are these simply replacement tailpieces? What about a holster for the C7? I see the C8 has a holster, but none listed for the C7. I am teetering between these two. Where are they made?
Thanks!

Chief...the only advantage the 2xAA light (C8) has over the 1xAA light (C7) is longer runtime. The emitter and electronics are the same in both the C7 and C8 versions of the iTP lights. And as you've probably deduced by now, the Maratac light is made by iTP; the principal difference being that it has a natural finish (vs the black finish of the iTP branded lights).

Considering that you'll be using the light in machinery spaces, one argument in favor of a 1xAA light is that it can be more easily maneuvered in tight spaces. A second reason to prefer a 1xAA light is the wasier carry; you can just slip it into a pocket if the holster isn't convenient.

As to the tailcaps, I haven't looked into this, but I suspect the difference is in the "hidden" modes (strobe, etc.) If you don't want or need these specialized features, go with the "tactical" version of the iTP lights. (If I recall correctly, the Maratac-branded lights are all of the "tactical" persuasion.)

As to a holster, the holster offered on the CountyComm website will fit both the 1xAA and 2xAA lights, and will also accommodate just about anything with a body tube diamered less than 1.25 inches (whcih includes most of the P6-sized lights). You might want to compare the versions offered on the two websites; they may be the same thing.

As to country of origin, just about all of the lights these days are manufactured in China. There are notable exceptions, but many manufacturers of high-quality, high-performance lights, with reputations for products sporting excellent fit and finishes, have their products machined, finished, and assembled overseas. In my view, the origin of the light is far less important than the engineering design, and the quality control exercised during production. If country of origin is a deal-breaker, you're going to be much more limited in your choices.

One final recommendation: try a 1xAA using 14500 or similar rechargeable lithium-ion cells. (Both lights support both types.) Consider it a $50 experiment. I promise you will find it extremely useful. After you've gained personal experience with the light, you'll know if the "bigger" version will be more useful to you. Either way, you'll still outfit your tool box for less than the target expenditure you first posted. (I suspect thought that your OPTAR won't cover it.)

I'm looking forward to learning your decision, and perhaps, later, reading your feedback.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

-RSR

First up, thank you for serving. :)

Next, I'd recommend a SureFire L1. MSRP is $159, but they can be purchased within your budget. If you decide on an L1, you can PM me and I can point you in the right direction price wise if you need.

Here is why I believe the L1 fits your requirements:
- Multimode; 65 lumen high / 10 lumens low
- Good battery life; 1.5 hrs high / 16 hrs low
- Very rugged, durable, and excellent SureFire build quality
- Compact; only 4.5" long with a 1" diameter at the bezel
- Lanyard is included from SureFire

The L1 is an excellent little light. I gave a SF L1 to a US Air Force mechanic a while back and he absolutely loves his. It's user interface is arguable one of the very best in the business. You press in on the tailcap for low and press further for high. For constant on, you twist the tailcap for low and twist further for high. What is so great about this is that you have instant access to either high or low. There is no cycling through the modes like on other lights. If you only need low and don't want to blind yourself and other around you, just press on the tailcap lightly. If you really need full blast immediately, immediately press all the way down. Brilliant. :)

-Robert

MRC2CWO3

Newly Enlightened
I have the ITP C-7 on the way. I splurged for a C-8 body as well, and an additional tailpiece in the event that something happens to mine. This way I can have the diversity of the single AA cell and the longer life of the 2XAA cells.... It was $56.00 for all, including shipping. And sadly, OPTAR does not cover, but my salary supports. I will most definitely invest in the Li-ion batteries. Do you have a preferred brand?

divechief

Newly Enlightened
Hi MR.

I think you made a good choice, I am a civilian Merchant Mariner/ Chief Engineer. I know exactly what you are dealing with. I learned about quality flashlights a couple years ago. it really makes a difference.

I think you will be blown away when you feed this 14500's, I currently use a single AA (14500) for my work lite. my first purchase (2xcr123) is in my locker for a back up.

I think most here would recomend AW protected batteries for this if you want to use lithium Ion. and please, use only protected batteries in this light.

http://www.lighthound.com/AW-14500-Protected-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery_p_96.html

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Edit: Whoops, I see that the OP posted today with his solution prior to my posted suggestion below. Oh well, sorry...

A +1 on RobertM's suggestion of the SureFire L1. Small, very tough, perfect user interface (i.e. choosing between high & low - simple&foolproof). The SureFire TIR optic provides a very tight spot of light at a great distance, this might provide the 'pointability' that you are looking for. I'm a SureFire nut and have had four or so friends ask for quality lights - I have gotten L1's for them all (on their $, not mine ;)), and all have been very pleased with them over the past year.

Last edited:
Chief...sorry for the delay in responding to your question about li-ion rechargeable battery preferences.

There are several brands with solid reputations on the market. My personal preference is the Ultrafire brand, available from many online merchants. Many CPF members also rely on the AW brand of rechargeable cells.

My go-to merchant is BatteryJunction.com. They offer a good selectiona dn reliable service, especially for the higher capacity cells, which will enable you to achieve slightly longer run times. You might also check Lighthound.com. This site also offers a good selection of rechargeable cells and chargers.

I also echo divechief's recommendation to always, always purchase PROTECTED cells. Protected cells have an important safeguard against overcharging and overdischarge built in. This provides an extra measure of safety when recharging these cells in a shipboard environment.

Finally, by shopping among the various online vendors' competing sales, you can save 10-20% by purchasing the cells and charger as a package bundle. I'd buy at least four 14500 protected button cells, at the highest amp rating available. WARNING: You can't use a ""regular" charger designed for NiMH or NiCd cells with the 14500 cells; you need a charger specially designed for the purpose. I recommend getting one that can handle a variety of these higher-voltage cells, including 186500, 17670, and 14500 cells.

Let us know how the lights work for you.

Last edited:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great focus-able light:
http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-181/**NEW**-Romisen-RC-dsh-C6-II/Detail
rcr123 format (16340 cells)
http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-180/**NEW**-Romisen-RC-dsh-29-II/Detail
is AA format for alkaline or nihm. (I'd suggest emailing Shiningbeam and asking if this light will let you use 14500's you get for the iTP lights)

A cheaper model version is available from dealextreme. I've had %100 excellent experience with Shiningbeam, same day shipping and your product will arrive %100 in working condition - clean lenses, lubed threading, intact o-rings: think of SB as a premium retailer of discount lights.

DX also sells an x2000 flood-to-throw light in 3aa, 16340, and 18650 configurations, it has a flawless flood beam and a great spot. Its not as high quality as the Rominsen and is not immersion proof (product of focus mechanism) but I'll ride 3h in the rain with it.

MRC2CWO3

Newly Enlightened
Re: Advice Please!!! (Follow Up on ITP C7)

Well, I got the ITP C7 (*Non Tactical) and paired it up with Protected 14500 LI batteries. I really liked the output of the light, but it only lasted 30 minutes before it no longer worked. Inserted freshly charged bulbs, the light flickered once and that was it. Now I am dealing with the distributor to return this light, and I am wondering if I made the right purchase. Reliability is high on my priority list, as I cannot just send the light back when I am out at sea... Bummer, really, because I liked everything about this light. Oh well. The hunt continues.

Cheers-
Rob