Decision, decisions...Jetbeam RRT-0 Cool vs. Warm Tint Version?

Shadow Master

Newly Enlightened
Hello Fellow Flashoholics,

This is my first "real" post and question. Please be gentle and forgive my "lacking lingo."

I have always marveled at how a sharp beam of light cuts through even the blackest night. And, of course, the flashlight that produced it.

I am VERY interested in the Jetbeam RRT-0 and contacted "the tekkies" there asking if there will be any warm tint version available.

Their answer is, "Yes, the RRT-O will come out in a small quantity of warm tint version."

I would like to ask "those in the know," what is the difference between a cool vs. warm beam of light? What are the pros and cons of either?
I understand a neutral light produces great natural colors. I wonder where these options fit in...

Also, regarding the RRT-0, I was told we can choose between SMO or OP Reflectors. I have read some concern about the "light rings" and wonder if most folks are opting for the OP version to smoothen the throw.

How much less throw do you think will be cast with the OP reflector? I am used to clean beams of light with my Jet 1-MkII, Surefire E2D, and M3 Combat Light and am not sure I can tolerate the light rings.

Jetbeam wouldn't comment on why they didn't place the "Rapid Flash" setting AFTER "Super High" or if they would correct this design flaw (this is my opinion, anyways, but I did not phrase my question to them so critically).

So, how about it, "enlightened ones"? Is the RRT-0 with a warm tint and OP Reflector the way to go?

Personally, I would LOVE an EDC light with 5-6 preset settings that are programmable (perhaps 1/5/20/50/100/240 lumens).

On a side note, if the light performs as expected, it appears it could be "The EDC Light" to beat (unless one is used to packing something more diminutive)!

Thanks to all for making this forum so enlightening!

-Carpe Noctem. Please pardon my theft of this bright phrase!

~Cheers!
SM

Arc AAA Premium, Jetbeam Jet 1-MkII, Surefire E2D, Surefire M3 Combat Light, Inova 24/7, Princeton Tec Yukon HL, and "Pre-Enlightened JUNK"

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Warm white would have lower output then a cool white LED due to the phosphor, but the better color rendering makes up for the loss in output.

In use, the rings might not be noticeable. There will be less throw with the OP but you will get a smoother beam. How much less throw will depend on how textured the reflector is.

If you want a smoother beam and better color rendering, go for a neutral white with the OP reflector.

:welcome:

droeun

Newly Enlightened
Warmer tints provide better color rendition outdoors, especially in the woods. Colors look more natural & aren't washed out like cooler tints are. I like them both, but I think it really comes down to performance vs aesthetics - the 'wow' factor from cooler tints vs the better visibility with warmer ones.

I guess it depends what Jetbeam will use to provide the warm tint. When they initially offered a warm batch when the Raptors came out, I believe they used a 5aq3, which is lower in output than an R2. I have an R2 with WH tint in my DBS & I love it - it's not warm to the point where it looks incandescent (like 5aq3) but more like bright sunlight shining on the sidewalk on a bright summer day.

The choice between OP & SMO is up to you, but with the RRT-0 being so small I don't think it was designed for throw - so you might not be losing much with the OP. You can always buy both reflectors so you won't have any regrets.

Last edited:

Shadow Master

Newly Enlightened
Warm white would have lower output then a cool white LED due to the phosphor, but the better color rendering makes up for the loss in output.

In use, the rings might not be noticeable. There will be less throw with the OP but you will get a smoother beam. How much less throw will depend on how textured the reflector is.

If you want a smoother beam and better color rendering, go for a neutral white with the OP reflector.

:welcome:

Thank you for such a lucid (and illuminating) response, G12. I guess I will need to wait and hear from folks who have tried the varying combinations offered...who am I kidding?

There goes the boys Christmas toys (LOL)! :party:

Again, G12, thanks for all your help!

~SM

Arc AAA Premium, Jetbeam Jet 1-MkII, Surefire E2D, Surefire M3 Combat Light, Inova 24/7, Princeton Tec Yukon HL, and "Pre-Enlightened JUNK"

Shadow Master

Newly Enlightened
Warmer tints provide better color rendition outdoors, especially in the woods. Colors look more natural & aren't washed out like cooler tints are. I like them both, the 'wow factor from cooler tints & the better visibility with warmer ones. Cooler tints aren't actually brighter, are they? if they're from the same bin, I thought they're just higher on the kelvin scale. My WH actually seems brighter than my WD (pure white) tint.

I guess it depends what Jetbeam willl use to provide the warm tint. When they initially offered a small batch when the Raptors came out, I believe they used 5aq3, which is lower in output than an R2. I have an R2 with WH tint in my DBS & I love it - it's not warm to the point where it looks incandescent (like 5aq3) but more like bright sunlight shining on the sidewalk on a bright summer day.

The choice between OP & SMO is up to you, with the RRT-0 being so small I don't think it was designed for throw - so you might not be losing much with the OP. You can always buy both reflectors so you won't have any regrets.

Thanks for the detailed response, Droeun.

You all are "Light Years" ahead of me in "The Science of Portable Illumination!"

That you all take (really, GIVE) the time with all the shared info to discuss this really means a lot to me. You are all what make this forum SO AWESOME!!! lovecpf

If I can swing it, the "both" option sounds like a winner. Jetbeam is not offering the warm tint yet :sigh:

Has anyone gotten/ordered the OP reflector (or better yet, both)?

What are your thoughts?

I hate to give up any throw but with 240 lumens on "Turbo," would I really miss it?

Kinda like livin' in Paradise...the Light without the Dark. Just knowing it could be even brighter... Or, will I be cursing the rings (in real world use)?

I, obviously, digress. I am a tortured wretch! :eeksign:

The "BOTH" option is lookin' better and better! :touche:

Thanks Again, Doeun!

~SM