I have a ton of CR2's...

Nexquietus

Newly Enlightened
And nothing to use them in. At work we use CR2 batteries for surgical procedures for maybe an hour in a piece of equipment, then they are discarded. We used to just have them recycled, but we have started to have them sanitized and collected because a co-worker bought a flashlight from Deal extreme that uses them. It's cool, but tiny. I have searched quite a bit for CR2 flashlights but I can't find any that are more... substantial. I have a Surefire, and that's the size I'd like to go with. Much smaller, and I'd lose it.

What I am looking for is some way to use these batteries. I literally have a Gallon ziplock FULL of them. Are they similar enough in power output that I can use some sort of adaptor and use them in place of CR 123s, or is there a way to build something useable from parts? Or even a light I haven't found yet that's suitable?

I came here because the guys at AR15.com mentioned this place when someone else was asking about flashlights.

Thanks for any help folks!

jim

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is the Aeon, https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/195649

and there is this

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=93&products_id=1711

the EzCR2

if you buy at 4sevens, make sure you use the coupon code CPF8..:)

there are also customs, but you will need to do a bit of searching...check the review section for reviews on CR2 lights..

:welcome:

hide your wallet, this hobby has a notorious way of making you spend....

if you need a general intro to everything flashlight....

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/172991

is the thread to read..

also a word of caution. I hope you taped and isolated the +ve and -ve contacts of the batteries in that gallon ziplock bag. If they contact each other in a bad way, you may have a :poof: on your hands. and you'll be lucky if you dont need a surgical procedure after that. play safe! you CAN use them, to power that surefire if you have a spacer of some sort, but i would advise against it unless you can make sure they have balanced charges, meaning that when you test them with a voltmeter, they are of the same Voltage. unbalanced lithiums also give a :poof: also the runtime on your surefire wont be as long due to the smaller capacity

Crenshaw

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
What is the voltage of these CR2's after the one hour useage. Is the equipment high current draw?

Bill

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I have searched quite a bit for CR2 flashlights but I can't find any that are more... substantial.
You mention that you already have a SureFire (a 2x CR123 aluminum 6P perhaps??)

If you were willing to try something really different, how about gettting a SF 6P turned down (i.e. much shorter in length) to take a single CR2? There are plenty of machinists around here who would be able to do something like that for you. It would be a true 'shortie', slightly shorter than the SureFire 3P (but just as wide). Add a low-voltage LED drop-in like the Malkoff M30 for ~140 lumens with 1xCR2, and you'd have something pretty unusual - making the complete light about as bombproof as you could get.

Anyway, just an oddball idea I had,

(Definitely avoid doing a custom 2xCR2 combo due to potential voltage-mismatch issues between the two cells.)

Take care,
K

Last edited:

Mr. Shawn

Enlightened
There is the Aeon, https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/195649

and there is this

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=93&products_id=1711

the EzCR2

if you buy at 4sevens, make sure you use the coupon code CPF8..:)

Crenshaw

I haven't seen any comments about the Nitecore clearance sale that was noted at the bottom of the Quark RBG e-mail announcement, so check out the EZCR2, nexquietus.

NITECORE CLEARANCE SALE - Use the codes listed with the lights below to score your next great deal. (Items are available while supplies last. If you see something you want, don't hesitate to order now. When they're gone they're GONE!)

NITECORE40 - 40% off Nitecore EX10 R2, Extreme Q5, Defender Infinity Q5 and GD, D20 Q5
NITECORE50 - 50% off Nitecore SR3, EZ 123, EZ 123 Warm, and EZ CR2 Warm
NITECORE60 - 60% off Nitecore EZ CR2

lightplay22

Enlightened
I have a ezcr2 and ezcr2w, both of which are nice lights for the money and after seeing this thread, I just ordered another cr2w @50% off..... Thanks to Mr Shawn.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought more @ the new discount, I had purchased 4 when it was @ 30%.:duh2:
Moral to the story, read ALL of 47's email notifications from top to bottom.:laughing:
The EZ series are very nice IMHO and at these prices a steal.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
there are a number of budget options available too, i got this CR2 light and am quite pleased with it, single output of around 40 plus lumens by eye guesstimate. It's a twisty and after lubricating with silicone grease, its as smooth as silk to twist one handed.

I also have this 1xCR2 or 2xAA light and on a CR2 its pretty darn bright.

The other 2 lights are this one and this one and let's not forget that Liteflux has a CR2 version light too.

With regards to the site that i got the light from, have had no problems with them for the various purchases i have made so far.

Nexquietus

Newly Enlightened
Man, you need an answer, head to the enthusiasts web site! I have been looking for CR2 lights, but you guys have web sites and manufacturers I have never even heard of.

To answer a few questions:
The piece of equipment that the batteries go in powers what I believe to be Infrared LEDs used in navigation of total joint replacement surgery. I tested them with a volt meter and it showed 3 volts. I will be the first to admit that my electricity-fu is weak. Like, well drinks at a bar weak. Is there something else to measure to see how much juice is left?

Thanks for the tip about keeping them separated. I have stood them all on end in a small box and placed a piece of cardboard between the two layers. I have 237 (or so :naughty:) of these little beauties. What is the best way to store them? My folks always kept batteries in the freezer, but I am worried about condensation. Since these are Lithium, they should be OK at room temp for like 10 years, Right?

Thanks for all the flashlight suggestions. Guess, I have some shopping to do. I smell Christmas presents. Little flash lights, and 5 or 6 batteries in stockings...

jim

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mind parting a few of them to a broke high school student? :/

willing to pay a bit though.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend getting a EZ CR2w. While in stock I'd even consider getting multiple at the 50% discount and give some as gifts if you have a huge pile of CR2s.

I have the EZ-AAw and it's one of my favorite lights - very thin compared to the battery size, elegant high-low interface. I will soon complete set of the EZ XXw lights (I ordered a EZ 123w, and EZ AAw)

If you haven't already I'd definitely recommend getting some of the neutral white LED lights. After having tried them, I prefer them so much that neutral white (or easy access to perform an emiter swap) is actually a deal-breaker for me.

flip

Enlightened
I'm not sure on this one but would a 3xCR123A bodied light such as a Surefire 9P or G3 or a 2 cell light (6P or clone) with a 1 cell extender and a drop-in LED module that will handle 12+v work for him?
2xCR2 = 1.5xCR123A batteries in length, correct? So 3 CR123A battery light should hold 4 CR2 batteries.

DM51

Flashaholic
Part-used Lithium primary cells, whatever size they are, should NEVER be used in multi-cell applications. The potential for mismatch, over-discharge and consequent violent venting of one of the cells is too great.

Cells should always be the same age, brand, type and state of charge when used in lights requiring more than one cell.

Part-used cells such as these are absolutely fine for use in single-cell applications (such as the Aeon or other 1xCR2 lights).

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure on this one but would a 3xCR123A bodied light such as a Surefire 9P or G3 or a 2 cell light (6P or clone) with a 1 cell extender and a drop-in LED module that will handle 12+v work for him?
2xCR2 = 1.5xCR123A batteries in length, correct? So 3 CR123A battery light should hold 4 CR2 batteries.

Yeah, I think that would work mechanically, but given that these are slightly-discharged cells, it's hard to ensure they're all matched. Even with a good voltage-under-load meter, I wouldn't want to run a 4-cell stack with no protection. There's the possibility of adding a MCU monitoring dV/dq to protect a series stack (something I've been thinking of, but AFAIK nobody's ever done, so highly experimental), or stacking them sideways to allow "balance tap"-like terminals (you could get 4 in a 1D Mag or so) with a protection circuit built into the light to cut out when any cell drops too far, but either of those is a mighty advanced custom build. There's no off-the-shelf circuit that will make a plain series stack of mismatched batteries safe.

Maybe the easy solution is to sell them in cpfmp and use the proceeds to buy CR123As?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I know Coleman makes a two-cell flashlight that runs off of CR2 cells.

But as DM51 said, not a good idea to mix & match those cells. Perhaps Coleman makes an inexpensive single-cell version.

Last edited: