Mag Solitaire 10180, Golden Dragon on narrow Optics

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides that I had to make a 10108 Soli. to see how short I can make it be, I also wanted to try some inexpensive solutions to generate narrow beam from Soli. using high power leds. Something I haven't been able to achieve with either Carlos TIR, 10 mm Aspherical lens or 10mm Lisa Optics.

The Carlos TIR & Aspherical gives reasonably narrow beam but both gives a square hot spot where I really wanted to achieve a narrow & round hot spot without going to the expensive route of getting McR11 Draco reflector (Available from Shoppee).

My Google search came back with two 13mm narrow optics, both for
Golden Dragon, as I happen to have a GD around, I decided to order a few lens & try it out.
http://www.mouser.com/Optoelectroni...N-74g9w?P=1z0wuaa&Keyword=13mm+optics&FS=True

As the cut down & build is very similar to my recent mag soli. 10280 thread, I am going to keep this thread simple & focus on just those area that are different.

The Two Optics are both 6 degree optics, near identical looking except that one has "s" at the end of the part # (735-0-002s). The one with "s" has a frosted center doom & gives a round hots pot, the other one gives a square
beam similar to Carlos 10mm TIR

The optics installed in Soli:
img3560q.jpg

The optics was filed down by 1 mm on the top edge to fit into the soli.,
as a result, some of the lights will be lost. The ideal optics would to 11 mm, but I don't such thing exist.

This photo shows the Golden Dragon mounted on a 1.5mm thick aluminum disk that was ground down from larger PCB (You can also use the 10mm XPE/XPG PCB from cutter to avoid the grinding step).
img3564m.jpg

The length without tail is cut to ~45mm using a Home Depot small tube cutter. The cutting is a simple 5 min. job (Wrap some masking tape before cutting to avoid damage the ano.). The re-threading is the same as described in my 10280 build, so I am not going to elaborate except that with thicker rubber hose material, I was able to re-thread it much faster, about 30min. vs ~3 hrs when I did the 10280 cut-down.
img3567r.jpg

This is the shortest length you can do with 10180 on mag soli, because the switch section (about 8mm long) has smaller ID that you can not push the 10180 up further. I know this because in my first cut, I went for 37mm, as a result I had to bore out the switch section. Before I could fit in the 10mm li-ion, I bored open the tube & resulted in premature death of my first soli. 10180 attempt:shakehead

Even at the 45mm length, the tail cap still need to be filed down about 4-5mm to fit, if you don't want to file the tail cap, then you'll need to cut at 49 -50mm position to house the long tail cap from soli.
img3570d.jpg

One thing I forgot to mention in my 10280 thread is that the stock tail cap does not fit the 12x1.0 re-thred without modification. To make it fit, you need to file away half of the soli. tail cap threads, i.e. leave behind only 1.4-2 turns of thread, that way, it'll screw in completely. So the tail cap isn't 12mmx1.0 exactly, but pretty close. Perhaps 12x1.25? But I haven't try that.

I put 2x 2ohm resistors into the tail, to get the final resistance of 1 Ohm.

Now the finished light is shown on the left of the AA battery in the group photo, with a final size of 52mmx12.5 mm, just a hair taller than AA battery but much more skinny. If the switch section didn't have a smaller ID, I would have been able to make it 45mm & much shorter than AA, unfortunately, the switch section length is a limitation on soli. that might not be easy to overcome.
img3577f.jpg

I'll take some beam shots after dark, but I can already tell that it's got a narrow beam,
narrower than any of my prior soli. mods except the 10280 soli. nano-hotwire. :devil:

Last edited:

TheInvader

Newly Enlightened
So it's the size of a AA battery?

Sure hope it's a pocket rocket!
The round hotspot sounds good, I hate the square hotspots that aspherics give.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's dark now, so I took Some beam shots.
First, the lights I selected to compare it with:

From left to right: Quark 123 Ti XPG R5, Peak Shasta N cell, Soli. 10180 Golden Dragon, Soli. 10280 two level (Low/Hi) XPG R5.
img3579l.jpg

All beam shots ceiling bounce, all lights are 5 ft to ceiling.

Left 10180 Soli Golden Dragon.--- Right Peak Shasta N cell, 3 Led, HP.
Peak Shasta is known to have narrow beam with no spill , rated at 10 Lumens.
img3595u.jpg

Left 10280 Soli XPG R5/Hi + Lisa Optics-- Right Quark 123 Ti XPG R5 on Medium
As you can see, the Lisa Optics is pretty floody
img3580x.jpg

Left 10180 Soli Golden Dragon/narrow optics-- Right Quark 123 Ti XPG R5 on Medium
The beam is certainly much more narrow than Lisa Optics, but not as bright.
img3583s.jpg

Left 10180 Soli Golden Dragon/narrow optics-- Right 10280 Soli XPG R5/Hi + Lisa Optics
You can see how much narrower the Golden dragon optics is compared to Lisa Optics. But obviously no even close to lumen Output of the 10280 due to the brighter LED used on the 10280 (XPG R5) as well as the reduction of out put on the 10180 caused by trimming of the optics diameter.
img3586r.jpg

Overall, the Golden Dragon set-up has a very usable narrow beam with about 30 Lumens,
vs the 10280 XPG R5 probably around 100 lumens?

However, I would imagine a Diamond Dragon should work just as well on this GD optics,
in which case, the 10180 set-up equipped with a diamond dragon could double it's output & achieve
a very respectable estimate of ~60 lumens in the smallest solitare format.

Last edited:

Al Combs

Enlightened
One thing I forgot to mention in my 10280 thread is that the stock tail cap does not fit the 12x1.0 re-thred without modification. To make it fit, you need to file away half of the soli. tail cap threads, i.e. leave behind only 1.4-2 turns of thread, that way, it'll screw in completely. So the tail cap isn't 12mmx1.0 exactly, but pretty close. Perhaps 12x1.25? But I haven't try that.
Wow, how short can you make one of these? :twothumbs

I have an old Solitaire from 1989. When you posted your 10280 Soli-mod, I measured the tailcap threads on mine with a loupe and a Starrett 0.01" ruler. I counted 4 threads in exactly 0.11 inch. That's a pitch of 0.0275" or 0.6985 mm. It's not 32tpi or 0.75mm. I thought perhaps mine was different because it was 20 years old. They just use a non-standard thread size.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, how short can you make one of these? :twothumbs

I have an old Solitaire from 1989. When you posted your 10280 Soli-mod, I measured the tailcap threads on mine with a loupe and a Starrett 0.01" ruler. I counted 4 threads in exactly 0.11 inch. That's a pitch of 0.0275" or 0.6985 mm. It's not 32tpi or 0.75mm. I thought perhaps mine was different because it was 20 years old. They just use a non-standard thread size.

1, You can make the tail cap another 4-5mm shorter by file down factory threads & re-thread it to 11x1mm (Leave the body at 11x1mm too). But it's very hard to hold down the tail cap to re-thread it. I did try to re-thread the tail cap one time, wind up scratch the hack out of it & the thread came out not straight, when capped, it looked like a Pisa Tower:eek:

2, 4 threads at 0.11 inch, wouldn't that give you 3 pitch instead of 4?
0.11/3 is 0.0367" or 8.5mm? Round it up to 11x0.9mm, still a non standard pitch, but close to 1mm.

When I tried to fit the tail cap into the Die set, it fits in to the 12x1mm Die but not the 12x0.75mm die. So it looks to me that it's closer to 12x1mm than to 12x0.75mm. 12x0.9 mm would explain why I was able to make the stock tail cap fit in the 12x1.0 threads by trim away two of the 4 tail cap threads.

Last edited:

Al Combs

Enlightened
1, You can make the tail cap another 4-5mm shorter by file down factory threads & re-thread it to 11x1mm (Leave the body at 11x1mm too). But it's very hard to hold down the tail cap to re-thread it. I did try to re-thread the tail cap one time, wind up scratch the hack out of it & the thread came out not straight, when capped, it looked like a Pisa Tower:eek:
Sounds like you need a thread cutting lathe with a 1/2" collet. I have an XPG-Soli on my list of thing to make after seeing yours. But I'm going to stick with 10440's. They are already short enough for me.

2, 4 threads at 0.11 inch, wouldn't that give you 3 pitch instead of 4?
0.11/3 is 0.0367" or 8.5mm? Round it up to 11x0.9mm, still a non standard pitch, but close to 1mm.
There was one point around the tailcap I could see the beginnings of the first and the fifth peak in the thread. So mine has 4 complete threads in 0.11 inch, not 3. It's a totally non-standard thread. Well at least it's one unfamiliar to me.

When I tried to fit the tail cap into the Die set, it fits in to the 12x1mm Die but not the 12x0.75mm die. So it looks to me that it's closer to 12x1mm than to 12x0.75mm. 12x0.9 mm would explain why I was able to make the stock tail cap fit in the 12x1.0 threads by trim away two of the 4 tail cap threads.
I only have the one Solitaire that is 20 years old now. It's possible the new ones are different. If yours are closer to fitting in the 1mm pitch die, I guess they must have changed somewhere along the way.