The joys of CPF

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I work in a competitive field where my ability and reputation are constantly on the line. Even though my standing is relatively high the stress is severe, and a "fall from grace" though unlikely is not without possibility.

Then I log onto CPF. What a wonderful contrast! Here is a large group of like-minded, civilized, decent fellow-obsessives from all over the world devoted to furthering their own knowledge, helping their colleagues and pushing the envelope of a fascinating (for us) field.

I can display my ignorance without hazard, allow myself to be corrected, criticised (gently) argued with all without becoming angry or upset (99% of the time). If I screw up or make mistakes (VERY dangerous in my field) the worst consequence is embarassment and some good-natured ribbing from my colleagues.

This is an experience I can get from no friend, family member, girlfriend, or work colleague. Only here, in our wonderful world of CPF.

End of excessively positive rant. Stepping off moonbeam.

Brightnorm

Tomas

Banned
You're right, Brightnorm. I hadn't really thought about it, but this is really a non-judgemental group in many ways.

I also come from a competitive profession where I had to have a $10M bond just to let me build stuff, and the competition in my tiny area was fierce indeed. A small mistake could end a career instantly.

Thing is, not only can we let down our hair here without worry, the level of knowledge and expertise available by just asking a question is phenominal!

Uh, could you just move over about a half step on the moonbeam, Brightnorm? I'd like to stand and bask a bit, too.

tomsig02.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Sure Tomas, there's plenty of room! Moving right over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BN

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightnorm,
Interesting thought, never thought of it that way. I repair and calibrate medical equipment for a living, screw up and somebody dies... fun kind of thing. Here, screwing up is a common occurance...it is part of the path to the ultimate lumination. Failure is just a benchmark to let you know what you need to improve upon. If you never fail, you have not attempted to attain your full potential. Trashed my 5W 5D Cyan Maglight today...I am happy because it gives me the reason to see how far I can push it. X-ranked Luxeon White with narrow beam reflector? Life is good!